Two Bob's Ohio to Prudhoe 2016 - Ram/Hawk, Husky, and Wing.

igorsadventures

Road tripper
Thank you Bob! Conditions are never perfect and you never know for sure that they will be, so I try to get most of what I have. This year I drove her from Atlantic to Pacific, now it's time for Arctic Ocean ;)
I think about carrying 2 spare tires, and stuff to repair flats, just in case. Also I will carry tools, and most importantly, I am going to travel with my dad, why is a trucker and a superb mechanic, so I believe it is gonna be fine :) Hope to share my adventure here next summer!

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Thanks very much Bob, for the trip report and great photos, wonderful information and for bringing back great memories. We were out to Alberta beginning of June this year, went as far as Jasper, then back. Took the kids 1.5 and almost 4 at the time) for the "monster bus" ride, they loved it. They are still talking about it, especially now that it's been snowing here. My wife and I took one of those Alaska cruises out of Seattle back in '12 and took the bus tour from Skagway to carcross, but your trip brings back a lot of memories of about 20 years ago when my dad took my grandfather and myself up to Alberta/BC/Yukon and Alaska. One day it's a trip I plan to do again with my dad and my own kids when they are up for it.

DYNOBOB

Adventurer
Thanks very much Bob, for the trip report and great photos, wonderful information and for bringing back great memories. We were out to Alberta beginning of June this year, went as far as Jasper, then back. Took the kids 1.5 and almost 4 at the time) for the "monster bus" ride, they loved it. They are still talking about it, especially now that it's been snowing here. My wife and I took one of those Alaska cruises out of Seattle back in '12 and took the bus tour from Skagway to carcross, but your trip brings back a lot of memories of about 20 years ago when my dad took my grandfather and myself up to Alberta/BC/Yukon and Alaska. One day it's a trip I plan to do again with my dad and my own kids when they are up for it.

How cool getting to do three generations to AK! Kudos to your dad. What did you think of the cruise?

Jay61

Loved the report. I drove to Alaska from South GA back in 1982 when the Alcan was pretty much all gravel. I was in my very early 20s and did not have much cash, nor was there many sources to get ideas from(no internet and very little reading material available in So GA. on the subject) . I spent a month or so driving around and camping in Alaska with nothing but a Rand Road Atlas for guidance...unfortunately I have lost all my photos. Ever since then I have dreamed of making the trip again, and doing it right this time, having money, etc so I did not have to live off of canned turnips and whatever fish we caught. I love to fly fish and I am surprised I never read about anyone fishing on these Alaska trip reports, well, I have ordered a brand new 2018 JKUR and I am going to fix it up with an Ursa Minor J30 and redo the trip in the summer of 2019. I plan on doing more fishing and less driving than your trip but I do want to hit the Dalton Hwy. I also plan on spending more time on off the highway trails that are up there (I am trying to figure out all these overland navigation systems available now...I plan to probably carry a few of them...better safe than sorry). On an interesting aside note, on my previous trip, it was me an my 19 year old cousin, on the way back, when we hit the Anchorage city limits before Ft. Richardson, there was a guy standing there hitch hiking with a sign that said Georgia bound. We picked him up and gave him a ride to Stone Mountain Georgia just north of Atlanta GA. He helped with the driving and we were able to make it from Anchorage to Georgia in just 5 days, we only stopped one time to sleep, it was at Glacier NP. We also picked up a couple of college students hitch hiking on the Glen Hwy a day or two after we arrived in Alaska, they were rolling three flats along the road....Ironically, they were from Tifton GA which is only 40 miles from where I live. Once again, thanks for the report and the inspiration.

mjmck

Observer
Just went through this report. Not sure of you guys have completed anymore trips since this and hope your both doing well. Brought back some memories from my trip to AK May of 2017. We were standing in many of the exact locations you were!

Marine

Adventurer
Just read through all your posts. Thanks for marking all your way points and stops. I'm planning in driving the dalton next year, leaving in January. Drove it in the summer now it's time to try it in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles