Ash Tray Mounted CB In '01 Taco

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Just thought I would share my CB mounting solution with you all.

I mounted a Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location. It was very easy to make flush, and seems like a lot of others have problems making it flush. First, I removed the 2 screws that hold the ash tray slide out and cut the rear out with my dremel tool. To make it flush I used a heat gun and a screwdriver to make a small indentation on the air duct. I heated the duct up for about 20 seconds and pressed the area in with the back of screwdriver where the 90* coax elbow would hit. You only have to press it in about 1/4 of an inch. I used an 90* coax elbow to connect the Lil' Wil antenna coax to the CB. I them used 3M double sided mounting tape to secure it in place (it is a tight enough squeeze it really is not needed, but I wanted to be safe for future washboard roads).

2079781_56_full.jpg

I think the end results look great. (Pardon my dust, just got back from a 4 Peaks run when I took the pics!)

I ran the Coax for the antenna through the door sills on the passenger side. When I am not using the CB the antenna stores behind the rear seat and the cable is not visible. Total install took about 30 min.

9-24-2005-Four_Peaks%20015.jpg

Soon as I get around to a bed bar I'll move the CB permanently back there. But for now, and my 6'2" parking garage at work, this will have to do. It's bad enough hearing the radio antenna cllink all the way up to the 5th floor, I can't imagine adding the CB antenna.

The CB also has a PA out put which I would like to add in the near future, but not sure how I will do it. Why? I think it could be benificial to help in spoting when in tight areas with out blocking CB waves when in large groups. Not a necessity so its last on my list.

I know there are tons of CB mounting solutions out there, just thought I would share mine.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Looks good! I mounted my lil cb in the ashtray location as well. Great way to keep it out of the way without mounting it in an awkward location.

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice job. That seems to be the best place to mount them, while still using the back seat.

My CB and 2m are mounted to the drawer system.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
In the Trooper I ahve the factory in dash CD changer that has within the last 2 months DIED! It is a 2 peice unit with the stereo and casette on the top and the CD changer on the bottom. A very bad place for the CD changer if you ask me becuase if the car is parked and in park you could not insert or eject any Cd's. The transmission had to be in either neutral or drive to perform this task. Anyway, back to my point. Since this has crapped out and will be trashed (after I figure out how to get my Cd's out) this is an ideal location for the CB. But I never thought of one of the smaller units and fitting them in the ashtry location. Great ideas abound in this forum. Thanks guys.

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Cobra Makes a great model foe alittle over a $100 that can mount under the seat or dash and the display and controls are on the mike. This wil be my next cb. For now I just wedge it in by the pass. seat. :coffee: I like the ash tray mount I almost did that with mine but, I have my sat. radio control mounted there now. Here are some pic. of my set up. Here is a handy way to mount your High Lift and Shovel too. And yes it is A Glock

Attachments

• console 1.JPG
    console 1.JPG
    648.3 KB · Views: 101
  • console 2.JPG
    console 2.JPG
    619.8 KB · Views: 99
  • jack mount2.JPG
    jack mount2.JPG
    669.3 KB · Views: 83
  • jack mount.JPG
    jack mount.JPG
    690.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
Nice job. That seems to be the best place to mount them, while still using the back seat.

My CB and 2m are mounted to the drawer system.

Thanks for the compleminets, guys! Scott, do you have any pic's of your drawer system... I must have missed that on your website. I think my wife would flip out if i took out the rear seat, but hey, she flipped out when i mounted the CB because she thought it would look bad and doesn't understand why anyone would need a CB.... no wonder she stays at home when I go wheel. Just hopefully i can get her to ride along and enjoy somethings she otherwise never would experience while we live in AZ.

Scott Brady

Founder
I do not have many pictures on the net of the drawer system, but here is one:
platform.jpg

It has a wide top with rubber matting and tie downs for other items. The fridge is mounted on the other side

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior