Outdooraholic's Montero Sport Adventure/Build thread

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
That is great! I have been thinking about the same tire size. Some of my buddies said it may cause some transmission strain but I think with factory motors the Mitsubishis have very sturdy transmissions. Sounds like yours is working perfectly.
Thanks! Being that these tires and still reasonably narrow and lightweight, I don't have any concerns about extra wear and tear on the drivetrain.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
The top picture was taken in June 2016 and the bottom one was taken today, February 2017. It's amazing how much the truck has changed in the past 8 months. Let's play spot the difference! :wings:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
White Sands National Monument - Alamogordo, NM

Today it was sunny and 80* in far west Texas so spur of the moment we decided to go out and enjoy the beautiful Ferbuary weather. Our first stop was White Sands National Monumnet. White Sands is the largest gypsum sand dune area in the world. Because the sand is made form qypsum, unlike normal sand, it stays cool to the touch, even in the hot summer months. We took our snow disks and spent the afternoon sliding down the dunes. We took a short break to make lunch on our Coleman stove and then went back at it some more. With the sun getting low in the sky we decided on a color change... So we headed to Red Sands OHV area, about 30 minutes away, south of Alamogordo, NM. We finished off the rest of the day's light exploring the red sand dunes before heading back home with a truck full of worn out kids!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
After our trip yesterday I have some tentative data on the gas mileage after installing the 33" tires. Of course I will need to log more miles to verify the results but so far, city driving is about the same as before. I may have dropped a tenth or too but what I saw on my first tank commuting to work was right on par with what I was getting before. As for highway driving, the tank going to and from white sands was my highest ever recorded MPG with this truck. I would say it's about a 1/2 - 1 MPG higher then I was getting before. Again, I need to measure more to confirm these results but so far it's looking like all the time I put into choosing the height, weight, width, and design of the tire to achieve my goals is paying off!

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I just sold my Corvette today and while most of that money will be going towards my Evo, I do have a little cash left over to spend on the Montero Sport. My biggest weakness off-road is the open differentials. It doesn't take too much of an uneven surface for me to start spinning one wheel up front and one wheel in the back. With that in mind I'm going to start moving towards getting a rear ARB air locker. The first step towards that setup is a mounted air compressor. So today I placed an order through Sierra Expeditions for the ARB High Performance CKMA12 air compressor. In addition I ordered their hose kit, EZ deflator, and tire inflator. This will give me the required onboard air setup for the future air lockers as well as allow me to air up and deal with any punctures (I already have a tire repair kit) out on the trails.

On another note, my plan for communications in the truck calls for a ham radio for longer range communication as well as a CB radio for group trail riding. Back in November I passed my ham radio license test but so far haven't had the money to invest in a setup for the truck. So in the meantime I am going to go ahead and install an inexpensive CB setup. I just ordered the Cobra 75 WX ST with a 4' Firestick antenna along with the required mounts and cables. This will get me setup for some initial trail communication while still leaving room for a 2m/70cm ham radio setup in the future.

Looking back at my first post in this thread, I had made a list of the goals for this truck's mild-mannered build. In bold are the items that have already been completed. I feel like I'm making good progress so far!
  • Clean, comfortable, and organized interior.
  • 2" lift to fit 33" tires.
  • Rock sliders and a rear bumper with swing out tire carrier.
  • Intake (snorkel) and exhaust to give a slight boost to power and mpg.
  • Mounted air compressor and rear air locker.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Looks good! Good to see those tires fit!
Thanks very much! Yes, me too! I was a bit nervous at the tire shop when he was asking me what I wanted them to do if they didn't fit. I said these tires are going on this truck no matter what, I'll do a body lift if I have to. Luckily that won't be necessary.

So today my CB radio and air compressor setups arrived, unfortunately after I had already left for work. Hopefully tomorrow before work I will get one of them installed. Then I have a drivetrain inspection scheduled at 4 Wheel Parts for Friday. I have developed a random clunking or snapping sound at low speed turns. I need to get that figured out and fixed before Part 2 of the NMBDR at the end of this month.

image.jpg

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Thanks very much! Yes, me too! I was a bit nervous at the tire shop when he was asking me what I wanted them to do if they didn't fit. I said these tires are going on this truck no matter what, I'll do a body lift if I have to. Luckily that won't be necessary.

So today my CB radio and air compressor setups arrived, unfortunately after I had already left for work. Hopefully tomorrow before work I will get one of them installed. Then I have a drivetrain inspection scheduled at 4 Wheel Parts for Friday. I have developed a random clunking or snapping sound at low speed turns. I need to get that figured out and fixed before Part 2 of the NMBDR at the end of this month.

View attachment 389078

Where are you planning on mounting the compressor?

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Where are you planning on mounting the compressor?

I mounted it right in front of the battery. I attached some L brackets so the side of the battery tray and used them as the platform for the compressor mounting plate. I got it mounted yesterday and just wired it up today. The only problem is that it didn't come with the switch. I called Sierra Expeditions (who I ordered it from) and they are shipping me a replacement switch today. Great customer service!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Nice. Any plan on dual battery at some point? Curious because I haven't figured out where to put a 2nd one.....
I have no plans for a dual battery setup. If the batteries would fit rotated 90* you could make two fit in that location. I would have to take some measurements to see if it would work.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Dona Ana Trail in Las Cruces, NM

Today a buddy and I went out and explored another local trail, the Dona Ana Trail, just north of Las Cruces, NM. It was a cool trail with lots of side routes to take. Most of it was loose rock but there were also some areas with solid rock and an arroyo with loose heavy sand. The steeper sections with the loose rock definitely tested out our low gear 4WD and again made me with I had a rear locker. This was a really cool area and I feel like we just barely scratched the surface. I definitely plan on going back soon to do some more exploring.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Putting the compressor to work. It filled up my 255/85R16's from 17psi to 34 psi in 1:30. I'm very happy with the setup!

image.jpg
Our tracks from today's trail.

image.jpg
Exploring the Bat caves. I didn't see any bats in the cave, but there was lots evidence of bats living in them.

image.jpg
My Montero Sport and his 2017 Tacoma TRD going up a steep, loose rocky hill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online