Outdooraholic's Montero Sport Adventure/Build thread

PacS14

Adventurer
Man thanks for sharing all these pictures and stories with us man! I can't wait to fully healed from my back surgery to be able to start doing upgrades.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Awesome adventures, but I am sensing a full size Monty might be in your future with a 3rd child on the way, but at least you get to stay in the Mitsu family!

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Awesome adventures, but I am sensing a full size Monty might be in your future with a 3rd child on the way, but at least you get to stay in the Mitsu family!
Being the Mitsubishi fan that I am (I currently own two Eclipses, an Evo, and the Montero Sport), I tried to talk my wife into getting a 3rd gen Montero as our new family car (to replace our 2013 Subaru Outback). However, in the end she settled on a Toyota Sequoia and we just recently purchased a very clean 2006 Sequoia SR5 with 85k miles, 4x4, and leather. I also toyed with the idea of selling the sport and getting a full size for myself, but in the end decided just to keep the Sport. Whenever we go anywhere as a whole family we undoubtedly take the Sequoia and it will be the new family camping/adventure vehicle as well. The Sport will still be there for when I'm exploring off road, camping, hunting, fishing, or shooting out in the desert without the rest of the family. Plus sharing daily driver duties with the Evo.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I installed some ghost flag decals yesterday. I got them from Overlook Graphics size 39x19 in matte black. At most angles they are very subdued and barely visible. Then at other angles they really pop. I love the look on my truck!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Looks great...thank you for the response.
Thanks!

So last year I developed a leak in the gas tank which I repaired trailside with some jb weld. It recently started to leak again so I found a gas tank at a local junkyard, cleaned it out, swapped over my pump and installed the new tank. It's a pretty easy job on this truck and I'm glad to have a fresh tank without any patches on it.

IMG_6159.jpg

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
It's been pretty quiet on the Sport front lately. My wife and I had another baby and I've beeen busy in the garage trying to finish up some projects on the Eclipse and Evo, plus I just started work on my 1971 Buick Skylark Custom. I've owned the Skylark for 14 years, but it's been in storage for the last 11. Now I'm finally in the process of getting it back on the road... new tires, battery, brakes, exhaust, seals, and undercoating. I'm hoping to get it going soon and I will have it registered as an antique so I can drive it every now and then.

However, this weekend was my mule deer hunt in New Mexico. I was able to draw a tag and have been waiting for this trip all year! My dad and I loaded up the Sport and headed north into New Mexico on Friday. We set up a sparse camp and set out on foot to scope out the area. On Saturday we were up at 5am and headed out into the darkness in pursuit of a buck. We spent all day in the field. We saw a herd of 9 deer, but couldn't make out any antlers and they were on private land anyway. Sunday morning we hit the field early again but didn't see anything. We headed back to camp to brake it down and head to a new area. We found a road that led deep into public land and required 4wd and high clearance to get through. The Montero Sport performed flawlessly, getting across steep creek bed crossings, rocky boulder sections, and took us where most other vehicles couldn't go. We were looking for a place to set up camp but ended up seeing a nice mule deer buck going up a ridge instead. We grabbed our gear and my rifle and and headed after him on foot. I was able to get within 225 yards and made a single shot with my Remington .270 outfitted with a 4-12x Nikon scope and he fell right where he had stood. He was standing at and angle and the bullet entered his right side, tore through his liver, traversed through his toro, and lodged in the left side of his neck. Success! And it was partially thanks to my Montero Sport being able to get back into that rough section. We quartered the meat, kept the cape for a shoulder mount, and packed everything back to the truck and headed home victorious!

IMG_6736.jpg
IMG_6737.jpg
IMG_6746.jpg

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Nice looking buck man! What general area were you in? I ended up getting the NM position and now live in Los Alamos....lots of good looking fishing and hunting grounds around here!

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Nice looking buck man! What general area were you in? I ended up getting the NM position and now live in Los Alamos....lots of good looking fishing and hunting grounds around here!

Congrats on the position in New Mexico! The hunt was in unit 32, which is southeast NM, near Roswell and Artesia. You will have lots of fun up in the area where you are. We really enjoy wheeling in the Caron National Forest, kayaking on the Rio Grande, and hiking up near Taos.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Glad to hear you got one. I hunt with a .270 Remington too. You're a lucky duck being able to get out hunting with the three little ones. My hunts have been on hold for a couple years now as I wait for my crew to grow up a little (it's just too hard on momma when I'm away for a few days...it'd probably help my case if I was a better hunter that actually brought home some meat once in a while).

I've loved your build journal, and have been quietly following along this past year. Builds like this have helped me keep going with my own Montero despite all the trouble it's given me. After months of tearing through the engine bay I finally turned the key last night and had it running right for the first time since August...been a very long and dirty year with the thing, trying to restore it back to health. Hoping to be back on the road soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles