Garmin GPSMAP 276CX

mav204

Observer

dms1

Explorer
Interesting, but it seems every time I buy a newly released Garmin GPS, it take two years of updates for the device to work correctly. I still have some issues with my Garmin Montana. If Garmin was smart, they would just port their GPS Software to Android and be done with it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Interesting, but it seems every time I buy a newly released Garmin GPS, it take two years of updates for the device to work correctly. I still have some issues with my Garmin Montana. If Garmin was smart, they would just port their GPS Software to Android and be done with it.
No kidding, I have a GPSMAP 78 that powers it self down after waking it up if you use the battery saver. It's on firmware version 6.60 and the problem has been around for several years according to Google searches.

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
I have just updated my Christmas list! A bit on the expensive side but considering I have 2 276c for almost 10 years now and still working... im sure this is worth it!

1Louder

Explorer
#PaperWeight

GPS Hardware is dead. Stick with a tablet and good software. If your preferred software falls out of grace with you then you can easily switch to something else. Come visit my gadget closet. Lot's of old dead GPS devices sitting in there prior to the iPad being released. Garmin should stick with innovating software which can be run on any popular tablet and smartphone.

DaveInDenver

I dunno if hardware is dead or not, I happen to prefer compact and dedicated devices and dislike very much touchscreen interfaces. But be that as it may it's likely that the guts of a device like this are probably the same as a tablet that is just using a custom almost-OS.

Bear in NM

Adventurer

Dave,

Garmin did that with the Monterra. I recently purchased one and it is very slick. But, it has fatal flaw. If you do a factory reset on the Android side, it will wipe part of the Garmin side, and wreck the unit. I know, as I am awaiting the Monterra replacement back from Garmin. The other big downside is that it is an end of the line technology for Garmin, as they will not be upgrading this product line. So you do have the ruggedness of the Garmin, so it will likely last a long time, but you will be stuck on Android 4.04. This means that many apps will not work, now and eventually.

But, I have my fingers crossed that my replacement will work out. Lots of reasons. First, having an android operating system with swiping and pinching means that it is faster for me use, than say the Montana, which I also have. If you are an android user, you can really move around quickly. I did load Oryx maps on mine, and those work well. Gives me google maps, garmin maps, and other third party mapping. It has a music player, and fm receiver. Camera and video. Gmail and other android maps. Basically, everything the phone can do, except make a call. Well, you can call over WIFI, so it has some capability, including email.

My hope is that this will work out, as it means when I go offroad, I can store my phone, and use the unit for all mapping, navigation, music, photography, hunting and shooting apps, in a completely ruggedized unit. My guess is that Garmin decided the headache with staying on top of things in the android world was not worth the effort, but conceptually it is a dandy unit. I played with mine for a week before sending it back, and I loved it. We'll see how the replacement does, with no factory resetting.

Craig

1Louder

Explorer
I dunno if hardware is dead or not, I happen to prefer compact and dedicated devices and dislike very much touchscreen interfaces. But be that as it may it's likely that the guts of a device like this are probably the same as a tablet that is just using a custom almost-OS.

Ouch at $799.00 you better really hate touch screen devices. :)

I agree everyone has different personal preferences. I love the easy ability to zoom in and out on a map layer with a touch screen. I see people gripe all the time that my preferred app Gaia GPS is $20.00. If you aren't willing to spend $20 on quality software why would you spend $799 on a device that will eventually become obsolete? If a company produces an app better than Gaia or complementary to it I already have the hardware which supports it. I have looked at some Android Radios where a navigation app of my choice could be run. I would almost consider that dedicated hardware since it would be installed in my vehicle but it has all of the shortcomings you describe like a touch screen interface.

I like carrying less gear. A tablet, yeah I prefer Apple stuff, let's me carry notes, navigate, store PDF manuals, maybe some entertainment (music/movies/books), tether to my Delorme InReach and the list goes on and on. Software updates are also very easy on a tablet or smartphone.

DaveInDenver

Don't misunderstand, I don't think this particular device is high on the value scale. Spending $800 to get what can be done with a smart phone or something now is hard to justify for the reasons you cite. For the money I do have a hard time seeing the customer base, but I'm sure Garmin knows their markets.

The interface of a touchscreen is very difficult for me to work moving (I have a Nuvi 350, but only because it interfaces to my FTM-350 and allows a quasi-tactical interface showing other APRS stations as waypoints). Touchscreen are /for me/ downright dangerous and essentially impossible on a motorcycle or bike.

I also don't have a tablet or anything to compare against, I'm decidedly 20th century since we still don't have a tablet of any sort at all. I just got a smart phone a couple of years ago and it was a refurbished iPhone 5. Hard maps are still how we generally travel! :)

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
Some of you make a good point that the hardware is a dying breed... however... let me say this. Remember a lot of the forum users are in 1st world countries where phone maps are up to date, well documented and pretty much great cell coverage all-around... In a lot of countries, such as Venezuela, phone maps are definitely NOT reliable, not to mention cell coverage.

In countries such as mine, I don't go out to the boonies just with my phone. I always carry 2 gps units with me.

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've been looking for a replacement for my 176C. I think this is it.

And yes, I do hate touch screen devices. When off road, the screen gets dirty. Easy to clean without messing something up. Also when bouncing around, buttons are very nice to have.

AOTF

After the experience I've had with my 376 I'm throwing Garmin my money. Phones and tablets are fine and dandy but my dinosaur 376 has been all over the world with me and has never let me down. Can't wait to get my hands on this device!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TWC4

3c54c7fd30b71de71463506baa00af85.jpg

Got her yesterday and wired in today. Nice to have such a new unit that's fast and works exactly like old trusty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles