Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 230GE in UT...any advice?

Default 230GE in UT...any advice?

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/ctd/5802305422.html

www.g-mercedes.com

I've started looking for an import (coming from the cruiser side)
    Found this guy who it appears imports them to UT...
    Anyone have any experience
    Thanks
    Matt

Honestly, the 230 is painfully underpowered. Off-road, low range is required for even the most benign challenge. I drove one all over South Africa and Lesotho and loved it, but driving one in North America would be torture (for both you and the truck). 2.3L normally aspirated 4-cyl gas engine!!!

Sani Pass
    Scott Brady
    Instagram - @globaloverland

Overland Journal
    G-Wagen | Defender 110 | Land Cruiser BJ74 | Moto Guzzi V7

I haven't done any business with them but I am sure if they are on the site they will be happy to chime in. Have you checked out Mastodon Motors in Colorado? They specialize in bringing in early G's as well as modifying, building, etc. They are currently working on a couple of projects for me and they are a top notch group of guys.

What Scott said - x2 at altitude...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullsnake View Post
    I haven't done any business with them but I am sure if they are on the site they will be happy to chime in. Have you checked out Mastodon Motors in Colorado? They specialize in bringing in early G's as well as modifying, building, etc. They are currently working on a couple of projects for me and they are a top notch group of guys.
    Yes I have and am waiting for a reply on one of their trucks...Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brady View Post
    Honestly, the 230 is painfully underpowered. Off-road, low range is required for even the most benign challenge. I drove one all over South Africa and Lesotho and loved it, but driving one in North America would be torture (for both you and the truck). 2.3L normally aspirated 4-cyl gas engine!!!

Sani Pass
    Thanks Scott. This was my worry but good to hear from others. This vehicle would more be a weekender as we use our van for extended travels but I worry about power. Our FZJ80 already pains me on mountain passes...I suspect the 230 would be worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Flagster View Post
    Thanks Scott. This was my worry but good to hear from others. This vehicle would more be a weekender as we use our van for extended travels but I worry about power. Our FZJ80 already pains me on mountain passes...I suspect the 230 would be worse?
    Much worse. It is an engine from their smaller cars in a vehicle that weighs more than your 80.

My G320 has nearly twice the horsepower (with the AMG head and Brabus bits) and it is just adequate for NA travel.

Talk to Tim at Mastodon. He always has cool Gs in the inventory or on the water.
    Scott Brady
    Instagram - @globaloverland

Overland Journal
    G-Wagen | Defender 110 | Land Cruiser BJ74 | Moto Guzzi V7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brady View Post
    Much worse. It is an engine from their smaller cars in a vehicle that weighs more than your 80.

My G320 has nearly twice the horsepower (with the AMG head and Brabus bits) and it is just adequate for NA travel.

Talk to Tim at Mastodon. He always has cool Gs in the inventory or on the water.
    Always faster to just give me a call 615-557-3825. Thanks - Tim
    Tim Golden
    Founder: Mastodon Motor Company
    www.Mastodon4x4.com

Thanks Tim

I also have the same question on members experience with Jean at g-mercedes, I've been talking with time. But also with Jean. He is importing some interesting and solid good condition gwagons.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast