new to land cruiser and overlanding... looking for advice, suggestions, help

sonnykre8

hello, ive recently gained a huge interest in overlanding and looking to purchase a fj80. i currently drive a 1986 22re 4runner, ive only traveled around baja, some mild off-roading but nothing too extreme. looking to step it up. ive been able to find fj's quite cheap here in san diego,CA.

im looking to build it as a project, take my time. i want to keep it as cost effective as i can, but not my main concern. ive read to rebuild the engine or to do a GM conversion (350, 5.3) which caught my eye. looking for advice on whos done this. where to start? what to get?

thank you!!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
So many angles to discuss but first and foremost. Why buy your first 80 that needs a new motor right off the bat? Why not buy something you can use right off the bat and decide from there what your next mods are?

sonnykre8

So many angles to discuss but first and foremost. Why buy your first 80 that needs a new motor right off the bat? Why not buy something you can use right off the bat and decide from there what your next mods are?

most of the ones ive found have engine issues, are blown or seized.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
There's always one out there just waiting to be bought that's in good condition. Don't forget to look at Lexus LX450 as well, same platform!!

rc51kid

Adventurer
most of the ones ive found have engine issues, are blown or seized.

thats nuts. These motors are very durable. If it has that kind of problems it is going to need a LOT more work even in just neglected PM. Plus you cant test drive it to see how the transmission or brakes or anything is.
Also these motors are very expensive to rebuild. Nothing budget about it.

I am not trying to be rude. But a non runner to me would be worth about $1000 or less

prozac

I have a low mileage 93 Series 80 4500GXL that I am contemplating doing up or selling. Has genuine 143,000km on the clock and I have owned it since new. It has never been in an accident. Engine is terrific but the body could do with a tidy up. Past 8 years has been parked in the street. Most of what I need can be had 2nd hand pretty cheaply...new front corner light, left hand front wheel arch flare, etc. It needs a new drivers door window register (the channel along the bottom). All cheap parts, but I just don't use it alot.
Do it up or sell it?

For the OP, these vehicles are bullet proof.

edit: Sorry for stealing the thread.

MamboSA

Observer

I've got to agree with this sentiment.
Find a runner, give it a good clean and service and hit the road - not too many modifications NEEDED on one of these, many that are WANTED, but not needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MamboSA

Observer
thats nuts. These motors are very durable. If it has that kind of problems it is going to need a LOT more work even in just neglected PM. Plus you cant test drive it to see how the transmission or brakes or anything is.
Also these motors are very expensive to rebuild. Nothing budget about it.

I am not trying to be rude. But a non runner to me would be worth about $1000 or less

I agree with this comment too.
There are plenty of 4.5s running around Southern Africa (where the conditions are harsh) with 1000000+ kms on the clock - just on services, and generally not even that regular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Second all the comments about getting a running/driving rig first. I have a customer with a 100 series that has 400k on the clock, original motor/trans. There is no reason to buy a dead rig and dump a bunch of money into it, when you could be out exploring in a decent rig.
I bought mine with 230k on it, runs and drives great.

MamboSA

Observer
hello, ive recently gained a huge interest in overlanding and looking to purchase a fj80. i currently drive a 1986 22re 4runner, ive only traveled around baja, some mild off-roading but nothing too extreme. looking to step it up. ive been able to find fj's quite cheap here in san diego,CA.

im looking to build it as a project, take my time. i want to keep it as cost effective as i can, but not my main concern. ive read to rebuild the engine or to do a GM conversion (350, 5.3) which caught my eye. looking for advice on whos done this. where to start? what to get?

thank you!!

Hey Sonny,
What did you end up doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior