Custom campers/motorhome style set ups in the USA

60toyetero

Adventurer
Plenty of guys doing this kind of work over seas, but I don't know of anybody doing it here in the USA? The overland community is growing and though pop up campers and slide in truck campers for full size are available, I am seeing the passion about rigs having a motor home style build by taking the bed off completely and building on a flatbed or right on the chassis growing. Uro campers is making great models in spain and a couple of places in Africa have great set ups for the 70 series. Anybody with any ideas for the US market? tacomas? nissan trucks? Im looking at building a set up on my truck to travel for a while but there are almost zero options in the USA as far as chasi camper builds.... am I just not looking hard enough or do I need to start a company haha. We all love these set up why isn't there anybody making them? Yes I could just have one build in Europe and ship it but I mean for 50K euros for a unit.... there has to be a way of building them here for that and not have to ship back and forth

3f224769d446b26b3d0d5941d896bc11.jpg

1986+Toyota+Grand+Ville+4x4.jpg

Toyota Sunrader 4X4.JPG

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
We are in full production of our line of composite flat bed truck campers for full size truck frames.

Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-on-Dodge-2500

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/162179-Overland-Explorer-Composite-Flatbed-Truck-Camper-For-Sale***SOLD***

13238900_1701329366788461_3769233671159595458_n-L.jpg

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
I think one problem is the fact that US toyota's and others don't have much payload at all. XPcamper has a model for Tundras.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
New Tacoma payload ratings range from roughly 1200lbs and 1600lbs, depending upon how its spec'd out.

That's certainly doable with a custom camper if you watch the numbers close enough.

Nearly regardless of camper construction, big things you need to keep close tabs on are the heavy items.
Water, propane (if equipped), house batteries, ect. These types of items eat up available payload fast.

Even the weight of items like windows and appliances needs to be included in the design phase.

sg1

Adventurer
I think payload is calculated very conservatively in the US. A Hilux (Tacoma) or Frontier would have a payload of about 2,000lbs internationally and a F 150 with heavy payload package could easily get 3,000lbs or more. I think 3,000lbs. is the absolute minimum you need for an overlander if you include passengers, gear and camper.
Stefan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior