How much thought do you put into tread depth on new tires?

The_Dude

Adventurer
I am asking this because I constantly look at tires. The new KO2 has 15/32s new and is a candidate for my next set. The new tread depth is my hang up though. My cooper st maxx have been great tires and have 10k on them and are just now reach 15/32s. New they have 18/32s. Am I going to lose 3/32s in 10k miles on the KO2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use my truck for about 3 to 5k a year now so its not a big issue. I will replace the tires long before they are low on thread. That allows me to get a decent price for the used set and put a new set every three years.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
The reduced tread depth is my biggest disappointment with BFG's "upgrade" from the KO to the KO2. Their All Terrain went from having some of the deepest tread to now mediocre at best. For me, it's not about tread life, but rather traction. That's why I replace my tires once they've worn to about 50% - traction comes not only from tread depth, but also the rubber compound: a tire that's been heat cycled and exposed to ultraviolet and ozone and road chemicals for a couple years is nowhere near as good as it was when new. So when BFG produces a tire with 3-4/32 shallower tread than its competition, that's effectively making it >25% worn out even when new.

Sure, taller tread blocks squirm more than shallow tread does, but if I wanted sports car handling I'd buy a sports car. Thankfully, companies like Cooper, Toyo/Nitto, and Falken have stepped up and started producing All Terrain tires with even deeper tread than the original KO had. That was my #1 reason for choosing the ST-MAXX (18.5/32 tread) over the KO2 (15/32 tread).

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Having a heavy truck, new tires with deep treads and "squirm" is always a concern.

That said, the Toyo Open Country AT2 had ZERO squirm out of the box, even with a deeper rated tread depth than other tires I've had.

The Toyo, more than any other tire I've ever owned, was 100% road confident from day 1

bijanjames

Adventurer
With the Cooper ST Maxx available its very hard to even consider another all terrain tire. They are by far the best all terrian I've ever ran.

Having a heavy truck, new tires with deep treads and "squirm" is always a concern.

That said, the Toyo Open Country AT2 had ZERO squirm out of the box, even with a deeper rated tread depth than other tires I've had.

The Toyo, more than any other tire I've ever owned, was 100% road confident from day 1

When I put the BFG ATs on my Dodge I noticed the squirm alot. It was a bit freaky at first. That reason is why I have considered going with a MT or trying another brand. After reading your comment maybe I will look at Toyos.

The_Dude

Adventurer
I am on my 2nd set of St Maxx. Really like the tire. 0 sidewall issues. Some chunking but nothing crazy. May try the Stt Pro next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
When I put the BFG ATs on my Dodge I noticed the squirm alot. It was a bit freaky at first. That reason is why I have considered going with a MT or trying another brand. After reading your comment maybe I will look at Toyos.

The BFG AT in my experience has some of the worst squirm.

Same goes for the BFG Commercial traction TA

TERRIBLE squirm.

JakeH

Adventurer
My Yokohama ATs started at 20/32. I still don't understand why they aren't more popular... They do squirm like crazy though.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Which Yokohama tires do you have?

According to the Yokohama website the tread depth for their AT tires ranges from 13/32 to 18/32 depending upon size, with most sizes being 15/32" or less.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I miss my old 33"x10.5" KOs, darn good tire and never disappointed. I never found them very squirmy but load size and vehicle can make a difference, my current KMs are stupid squirmy as is. Really tempted to try the KO2s for the next set in favor of their improved design but I think their price is what bothers me most and also this tread depth issue. Considering the Cooper ST Maxx's are nearly $40 cheaper a tire in my size and have 3/16" more tread depth, I feel like BFG may have run its coarse for me.

JakeH

Adventurer
I have the geolandar ATS. Everything I found when researching said 18/32, but when I was comparing them in store the Yoko had visibly deeper tread than others, so I asked the discount tire to measure it. Yokohama was 20/32 & the Cooper ATP I was considering measured 16/32. We didn't measure any others, but I think there is some variation in depth from what is claimed in marketing materials.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I just replaced my BFG 33X10.50-15 KM2's with KO2's in the same size. WOW! What an improvement.

I ran the old style KO's for years, and liked them. 2 years ago, I needed tires and there were no KO's in that size available, and they would not be available for several months, so I tried the KM2's.

The KM's look great, and when new, were pretty quiet, but very squirmy and somewhat wallowey - are these words? As they aged, they grew louder.

I decided to try the new KO2's, and found 4 of them mounted, balanced with tax, etc for $815 at Americas tire with a $100 BFG rebate, and another $50 from Americas Tire. So $165.25 each out the door!

I took my 60 ona late season Sierra fly fishing trip last week with the new tires. It was shocking how much better they rode, drove, sounded, and best of all, I picked up about 1.5 mpg over the KM2's. All good things.

The squirm and wallowing were 100% gone, steering was easy and straight, and it was so quiet inside, very nice. I ran the exact same pressure as KM2;s and the older style KO's, so this was a fair comparison. It has been too long since I ran the old KO's to be fair in comparing them to the new KO2's, but I really like these KO2's.

I did nothing too serious off road, but miles of dirt roads, sand, some water crossings and lots of rocks and gravel, and they worked well, and again, the ride was really good, especially on wash board sections. Much better than the KM2's in my opinion.

Time will tell, but very satisfied so far.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online