Lifting Roof Designs - Silly Question Here - Please help me answer this...

LoRoad

Adventurer
Does anyone know how many manufacturers are there of the Lifting Roof Design type - for what we all lovingly call Expedition Vehicles?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Are you referring to just a straight up type with overlapping hard sides or including tilt type with fabric as used on Ursa Minor's J30 and Westfalia type campers? Fewer of the first - many of the later.

LoRoad

Adventurer
Are you referring to just a straight up type with overlapping hard sides or including tilt type with fabric as used on Ursa Minor's J30 and Westfalia type campers? Fewer of the first - many of the later.
Any and All, would be most helpful/interesting. But the first, would be my first interest. Thanks.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Rodney,

Most of them are in Europe. As far as I know, Unicat invented the design and has proofen itself for many years. Others have tried copying them, many have failed. As you know, our engineer in Germany has a great track record designing them. The difficult part is the mechanism, guiding system, wall build up, weather proofing and part sourcing.We are currently helping several customers with the design of a lifting system.
But to answer your question:
I would recommend Unicat, Archemobil and GXV . Bliss just came out with one too, but as with everything else, I would like to see how they perform 5-10 years down the road.

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Rodney,

Most of them are in Europe. As far as I know, Unicat invented the design and has proofen itself for many years. Others have tried copying them, many have failed. As you know, our engineer in Germany has a great track record designing them. The difficult part is the mechanism, guiding system, wall build up, weather proofing and part sourcing.We are currently helping several customers with the design of a lifting system.
But to answer your question:
I would recommend Unicat, Archemobil and GXV . Bliss just came out with one too, but as with everything else, I would like to see how they perform 5-10 years down the road.

Andreas, your pm Inbox is full:

The following errors occurred with your submission
Victorian has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Andreas, your pm Inbox is full:

The following errors occurred with your submission
Victorian has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Darn! again :) thanks for the heads up!

srqsup

Observer
The GXV Pangea series is amazing. We considered it before settling on the standard cabin. But for those wishing more room it's a great option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles