1 Bored Clerk's DIY Camper

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Well, this build just took a HUGE left turn. I just put my money down on a UTE tray. I should have it mid July.

I just wasn't happy with where this was going for me. Too complicated and too many compromises for my use. So, the camper, as it sits...unfinished, needs a new home. It could be finished as a slide in or it could be turned into a pretty sweet trailer. I'm not looking to make money, break even or anything else. I'd like some compensation but I mostly want it to go to someone who'll finish it rather than scrap it. The truck bed and rear bumper I made will also be available. I post legit sale threads in the next few days.

Just to be clear, this thread is NOT DEAD! I will be sorting this camper build out on the new tray. I should have done this from the beginning but I didn't. At least, that's what I think now. We'll see how I feel when the tray gets here.

Thanks for hanging in to anyone who still checks this out. My builds are always a bit of a winding road with plenty of starts and stops. I'll fire this back up when my try arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
I strongly considered a ute tray as well - makes sense for a lot of reasons but I never pulled the trigger.

Hope someone takes you up on the offer and takes over your current build - super solid base to start with.

Look forward to hearing more about the new design...

matt

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Simple, simple, simple is my general plan. After living with swing out carriers blocking access to the bed for a while, I will not be having those on the new setup. Tire will go back under the bed with some mods to the tire carrier, I'm told (255/85). We'll see how it all progresses in a few weeks when the tray is on.

The tray should give us near or over a foot of extra sleeping width over my current design which is really exciting. We may be able to increase interior storage options as well. I'm excited about the change and the options it affords.

Liked watching your process, and was really curious about where it would finish, but... Ute trays look very useful, too, and I'm curious to see where you take that. Too bad your build won't work in my F250. I'll watch this space.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Liked watching your process, and was really curious about where it would finish, but... Ute trays look very useful, too, and I'm curious to see where you take that. Too bad your build won't work in my F250. I'll watch this space.

Ha! It'll fit in your F250 with room to spare! I'm so excited for the change and the opportunity to take what I've learned and apply it to V2.0 so quickly without fully investing in this version. It'll sting, money wise, for sure but I think the trade off is going to be well worth it.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Looking forward to V2.0. Sometimes that's how projects go, you learn along the way that your original plan needs some changes or even a completed re-do.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I'm really looking forward to getting a box together that we go camping in. So much of the new build can happen in stages as we figure out what we like. It should help us avoid any costly errors in the future...to some degree. Soon! The container with my tray is due in port this week. Then it'll need to clear customs...then I pick it up!

WA DOL

Do you know if the State of WA will want you to put tags on it? It seemed silly, but i had to license my truck camper every year. I saw it as a revenue generator since it did not have a engine, like a motorhome or a boat, but I think they look at them like an RV trailer? Lots of states do not require tags on a truck camper. I am just over north of Camas, so I was following your thread. Good to know someone local that knows fiberglass!:)

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Do you know if the State of WA will want you to put tags on it? It seemed silly, but i had to license my truck camper every year. I saw it as a revenue generator since it did not have a engine, like a motorhome or a boat, but I think they look at them like an RV trailer? Lots of states do not require tags on a truck camper. I am just over north of Camas, so I was following your thread. Good to know someone local that knows fiberglass!:)

Unsure. But our camper doesn't have built in cooking or toilet or anything like that. It'll just be a box. I'll check into it.

And, I wouldn't say I know fiberglass, haha. I can get things to stick together with fiberglass...in the garage. I'll get to test out my fiberglass prowess once the camper box is done though!

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
5ea593d3f5e8ae367adec994969fee48.jpg

Picked this up yesterday! UTE in da house! I'm tearing down my truck today and might get started on the install too. Sold my rear bumper this morning. Bed still needs to go. Wooden camper base needs to go as well. If you think you want to take it over to finish up or put a lid on and drop it on a trailer frame, let me know. I'd like for it to go to a good home instead of being scrapped.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Putting in work!

d0a1e7a2465d93f793d14b17258869c8.jpg

Pull and label all wiring that is attached to or snakes through the bed

04fd444183f769a298c5cff968756bd7.jpg

Pull the taillights. Bolt, bolt, yank!

f228f36811796b5f3bc34cc295076fdd.jpg

Unbolt the fuel filler neck from the frame under the bed. Then shove the filler neck back through the grommet in the fuel filler area. Easy.

12c5f2e3ca8c5787723a3cf3add3797c.jpg

A little tape in case of accidental contact when lifting off the bed.

7d8f39df50e3d4ece752253aebc2222d.jpg

All Pro Expo springs + empty truck = TALL. We aired the tries way down to gain an extra couple of inches of lift. Gotta have the front end of the bed clear the top of the rear tires when lifting off the back!

ddc371cb937aa2919b1fd1ea8b4766b7.jpg

Done! Easy with three people. Now I have this lovely driveway ornament to annoy the neighbors. At least I washed it! Will be very happy to sell it quickly.

24bb439e0af849bd620115a702670f7f.jpg

Then you're left with this unholy mess. Sigh.

ad8d686f1e922629230bef594a680606.jpg

Kinda fun to drive like this. Would have loved to take it for a cruise around town but I'm illegal a dozen different ways here! Haha.

34f148e47382f6af55363b50bead312c.jpg

Post booty scrub! I also bolted up my new spare tire hoist. The tire will be living back under the truck. I'll have to do some modding to get it to fit maybe (255/85 R16).

That's it for today. I need to grab a few bolts and some heavy washers tomorrow then I can really get into mounting this bed up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94