1 Bored Clerk's DIY Camper

I would go for a cruise like that. My son was showing me photos of the rigs that ran the Gambler 500 this weekend (he was doing road rescues). One of them had a guy ride the whole trip on an antique spring mount tractor seat that was about 3' behind the bumper on this old hoopdie:Wow1:. They came all the way from Oklahoma to run this event! One guy had a Saturn with none of the plastic body panels left on it. Another team from Tillamook had a caddy with old sawblades for fenders (logger styling). It was incredible what kind of stuff went down the road.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I would go for a cruise like that. My son was showing me photos of the rigs that ran the Gambler 500 this weekend (he was doing road rescues). One of them had a guy ride the whole trip on an antique spring mount tractor seat that was about 3' behind the bumper on this old hoopdie:Wow1:. They came all the way from Oklahoma to run this event! One guy had a Saturn with none of the plastic body panels left on it. Another team from Tillamook had a caddy with old sawblades for fenders (logger styling). It was incredible what kind of stuff went down the road.

Haha, that all sounds crazy! I'm not that brave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Handled some business today.

5051f84f8540123be5375676b8fd77bd.jpg

Mounted the cross braces then dropped the basic tray on. Left everything loose because you have to adjust and measure and tweak front to back and side to side until everything is square to the chassis and just where you want it.

0ce9dde050a0c502812d7ae43f1b5e3f.jpg

Once you get the location and attitude just right, you have to drill the 8 mounting bolt holes for the flatbed. You are completely free to place the bed where you want front to back. Here it is bolted down solid with the headboard in place.

5c354d65a5b8ba9f6f288fad3626f294.jpg

5efc6354f1b6f07faafb66347c2d45c5.jpg

More angles because it's pretty rad! I still have all the fussy little stuff to do: fenders, fuel filler, taillights, license plate, etc. I'll get on that tomorrow! Happy to be where I am tonight.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Did some work tonight but didn't get a whole lot done.

d86171720c9666162eebb52725d5602a.jpg

That's it. One on each side...that's all I got done. Sad business. It'll be easy to get the front fenders in place now that I know what's going on!

Need to get the taillights and license plate done so I can drive this sucker!

ripperj

Explorer
Sweet, how much higher is the bed itself than stock? I'm thinking about getting one for my Ram, but don't want my camper Cabover too high over the cab.
Thx
Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Sweet, how much higher is the bed itself than stock? I'm thinking about getting one for my Ram, but don't want my camper Cabover too high over the cab.
Thx
Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm taking another measurement for a guy later this evening (just sat down to do a little work) so I'll get an estimate on that for you too.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I'm taking another measurement for a guy later this evening (just sat down to do a little work) so I'll get an estimate on that for you too.

Here are some measurements on my tray that will answer your question as well as a few others I've gotten:

Additional floor height over stock bed = 7.5" (this number can be increased should you feel the need - use spacers)
Usable width = 70"
Usable length = 77.75"
Headboard height above floor = 36.5"

This is all specific to my model UTE and should be accurate to anyone ordering a tray for a midsize truck. A full-size truck and its larger tray will differ.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Today's update:

7dd16549e0c2cb73e25ccafb1c9dd23d.jpg

Front mud guards are on both sides. Those are done!

a0434bab8355ada2fa61d438f6228c3e.jpg

Fuel filler mostly sorted. It's where I was told to put it (the only real option anyway). I need to make another brace for it but it'll work for now. It's in an awkward spot but I'm hoping it helps my overfill issue with my LRA tank. All of the vent lines are at a much more favorable angle, I think.

4659868820508527005cbe2d9627e985.jpg

Got the 255/85 R16 up under the back of the truck. I didn't modify anything. I just pushed and pulled the tire as I jacked it up into place to get it seated just right. No biggie. I don't like a tire under here because it sucks to access on the trail but it's a compromise I'm willing to make since it's so rare for me so far to need to access for anything other than rotating tires.

acd3760e454f3f2b68c4a4e5612212b5.jpg

Tested all the functions of the factory taillight so I was very sure what everything did.

b75abbb3e4a4c551f2038adae9d37df6.jpg

5e904f9d8a5e7820a6f0718133c0c476.jpg

843d187021fbca0513dd1a9a1d2382f3.jpg

Traced all of the factory wiring so I know what to match up to my new taillights. I'm using the sub harness from the factory lights to wire to my new lights so I don't have to cut the main harness on the truck. These new lights will plug in just like the factory lights. Now I need to get the proper ring terminals for the wiring and get these things done.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Got the taillights wired up and verified that they work!

0779b4fa80b5292b5c49400733347b05.jpg

0b209179cdbf47fee464f2db64933d8d.jpg

5273c9d4625bdbdd3c721c05bc497e25.jpg

I pulled the wiring off of the OEM taillights and clipped off the bulbs. Now my new lights plug in just like the OEM lights.

The wiring is all temporary (lots of extra wire) since I don't have all of the variables figured out yet. I still need to design the bumper and I may still switch lights for something a little cooler (FJ 40 taillights) or something sleeker. We'll see.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Used a piece of 2.5" angle aluminum to make a temporary 'bumper'/taillight mount.

5ffe025b5f967d7944122012d9903e48.jpg

I didn't feel like making a temporary bracket for the license plate so I zip-tied it to the headboard. It'll work until I get my new bumper designed and built.

Not sure if I want to put the drop sides and tailgate on it. It's easy so I guess I should try it out. Most of the time, they'll be in the garage once the camper is built but it could be fun to have them on until the camper is done.

Took it out for a little drive. The flatbed seems pretty quiet. I've had racks that make considerably more noise. I didn't even notice a difference from stock.

The fuel filler location is a compromise for sure. You can't leave the pump sitting in the filler neck, it'll fall out. You have to hold it the whole time. An issue that my 34 gallon tank does not help! Haha. I'll have to be careful filling up in Oregon as you aren't allowed to fill your own tank. The attendant is going to love me! The tank still overfills too. I'll keep messing with the vent tubes and whatnot but I'm starting to think the overfill is more an issue with the design of the tank and how it fills rather than the actual vent lines. I could be wrong, of course.

Xrunner

Explorer
Looks great, thanks for the detailed write up!

Any reasoning behind the order of the lights with the turn signal outside the break light?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier