1 Bored Clerk's DIY Camper

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive heard a heat gun works, but I have always used a torch.

Just a simple map/LP torch

Its the heat that does it. Thins the opoxy to the point of allowing the bubbled to reach the surface and overcome the surface tension of the epoxy.

Thats if you already have the epoxy on the workpiece

Many people over stir epoxy, adding a ton of bubbles when mixing.

If that is the case, slow down the mixing, and if you still have lots of bubbles, another method is to heat the entire mix.

That way you have less bubbles to start with.

Me, I just mix very slow, and leave the mix in the container for 10 minutes or so to allow what bubbles are in there a chance to escape.

Then apply.

If I still have some (always seem to), I use the torch.

Doesnt take much. Light it, then just wave it over the surface.

Like magic, the bubbles disappear :ylsmoke:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Ive heard a heat gun works, but I have always used a torch.

Just a simple map/LP torch

Its the heat that does it. Thins the opoxy to the point of allowing the bubbled to reach the surface and overcome the surface tension of the epoxy.

Thats if you already have the epoxy on the workpiece

Many people over stir epoxy, adding a ton of bubbles when mixing.

If that is the case, slow down the mixing, and if you still have lots of bubbles, another method is to heat the entire mix.

That way you have less bubbles to start with.

Me, I just mix very slow, and leave the mix in the container for 10 minutes or so to allow what bubbles are in there a chance to escape.

Then apply.

If I still have some (always seem to), I use the torch.

Doesnt take much. Light it, then just wave it over the surface.

Like magic, the bubbles disappear :ylsmoke:

Thanks! It’s been chilly here and I’m not the slowest mixer. I’ll pay more attention to that as I go and I’ll keep a heat gun handy (no torch on hand). The 10 minute wait period sounds good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Also, if the bubbles are just bubbles in the epoxy that I’m using for my fairing, does it matter if there were bubbles if it all sands smooth anyway? It’s not under fiberglass and it’s not leaving a bumpy surface when sanded...

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
If just for fairing, dont sweat it. :)

Sweet! I was NOT looking forward to doing this again. Sanding is a job.

No bubbles when I was doing the fiberglass. It was much warmer out so that may have something to do with it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yes, more heat is the key.

Cold weather will always yield more bubbles.

And I hope you are using a DA sander for this.

My arms would have fallen off by now doing it by hand :sombrero:

My go to is a 6" DA, and I go aggressive with the paper.

60 grit for most of it. Makes for quick work of it. Then push to 220 prior to paint.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I’m using 60 grit on a 4” sander. I’ve been contemplating getting a 6” just to make it a little faster.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I’ve taken plenty of time off from the camper lately. Hard to motivate with the cold weather in the evenings (compared to early fall) that we’ve been having. But, I did get some sanding done this weekend. Should be able to finish it up tomorrow night.

9d5bcaea1d8bfee16cda4694793091c3.jpg

So much sanding. All I have left is the raised roof panel. Saved the hardest to reach for last! Then I’ll clean it all up and go around and fill in anything I missed and spot sand those areas.

Going to put some serious effort into the door opening this week/weekend too (unless some other really cool option pops up). Gotta start getting this thing done!

Oh, also approved the final rev of the drawings for my two exterior aluminum boxes. Put down my deposit and they are in process. Could be as soon as a week...maybe two. I’m in no hurry and don’t really care if they show up late January. We’ll see.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Looks good. Time for some "Rhino Lining" and stop with the sanding ? Just a idea.

Believe me, I’ve considered it! I’m not going with a coating like that in case I need to do repairs. I may not have built it strong enough and need to repair corners cracks or I might ********** it on something since I’m new to camper Life and the bulk associated with it. It’s easier to repair if I can repair it all myself.

rruff

Explorer
Maybe use a texturing roller with gelcoat. That's what I'm planning if the tests are favorable.

I'm doing minimal sanding. It's going to look homemade, and I'm cool with that.

B85

Adventurer
That would be a good idea. Never though about doing that. And if you don't like it you can sand it flat.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Thanks! I got all of the exterior rough sanding done last night. That felt good! Now, on to finishing the door opening. A lot of fussy work to do there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz