1 Bored Clerk's DIY Camper

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Door opening work is happening!

7dbf9e29e80293a9f224817b7e4b2bde.jpg

Working on getting all of the corners cleaned up and tangent to their adjacent edges.

1c55ed92bed6e4f2deda54c15f4fdae5.jpg

Laying out the plate that will serve as the surface the bulb seals will seal against

8fc407f635165b7115906211c5eaaf30.jpg

Test fitting the door seal plate. Once I got here, I thought more about the stackup of the door and bulb seal and decided I needed to space this back 1/4” to make room for the compressed bulb seal.

49b03d443bb9b65eeb09f496b0f5312b.jpg

I picked up a half sheet of 1/4” marine grade plywood to make the spacer.

Hopefully I’m thinking about this all correctly. I’m not really sure how much the bulb seal should be compressed when the door is closed. I’m planning for it to compress to juuust flat but not compressed as tight as it can possibly go. That should still leave a small amount of compression left for camper twist and thermal changes but be compressed enough to keep the camper door sealed and rattle free. We’ll see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
McMaster Carr. They have ALL the things. Such a great resource. Though, I often order a few versions if I’m not sure because you can’t see them in person. That’s the bummer of on-line ordering. So, with that in mind, I also have regular D shaped adhesive backed bulb seal too. Haha.

I’m not a huge fan of adhesive backed stuff but I figured I’d give it a shot. Everything is modifiable on my camper with a saw and more fiberglass so I can change the design later if the adhesive backed stuff proves to be crap. Though, I’m hoping it’s not!

b dkw1

Observer
McMastrs shipping is unbelievably quick. Most of the time I can order stuff and it will be here in a day. That's from Chicago to Kansas city. When I was in San Diego, if you ordered before 10AM it was there that day as they had their own delivery drivers.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Checked out one of my boxes today. It’s awesome! Right to spec and looks great!

ea7ea066832310d862f16eb373c5b601.jpg

99013cb40969fbdbba527235a8a000cb.jpg

I also got my seal plate epoxied in with an epoxy fillet around the edge. I’ve slowed down a lot on this build over the last several weeks but I’m picking up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles