1 Bored Clerk's DIY Camper

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
It's my first time working with something on this scale or successfully (seemingly) working with epoxy. I've done two very small projects that were mostly aesthetic with very little need for actual structural integrity. This project also carries a much bigger risk/reward ratio. If I screw this up badly, there goes a lot of money and a lot of time. If it goes well, it'll be super cool!

Anyway, do some research on the techniques and ask for help and go slow/be methodical and it should go well for you. I've gotten a lot of great help on this forum already! I'm always an advocate for getting people to just go make something. Also, understand that even if the project is a loss, the knowledge, experience, and, hopefully confidence you gain is worth it!

This doesn't feel hard but I can't really say it isn't hard because I have no idea if it will fall apart on the first trip out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Looking great!! Definitely getting it wetted out much better than your first sample. Keep it up!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Project is looking fantastic :ylsmoke:

Working with fiberglass can be as painful as you allow it to be.

I treat it as follows:

If you are in any kind of hurry, you will suffer.

If you take your time, its no sweat.

And the smarter you lay your glass and epoxy, the less labor you will need to put forth.

So take your time, be smart about it, and all is good :ylsmoke:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
The change to 4oz fabric was awesome. So much easier to work with and wet out. And, yes, taking my time has proven to be rewarding rather than painful. My glass work certainly isn't perfect but it's getting better and I'm learning what works for me and what doesn't.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Glad to hear the lighter cloth is working for ya'

Just take your time.

I often have to remind myself, that the pot life for a batch of epoxy is actually MUCH longer than it takes for me to apply it. :)

Xfactor

Observer
Subscribed...seems I've just purchased a camper that "needs" modifications of the same kind as you are working on.

Looks fantastic !!

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Glad to hear the lighter cloth is working for ya'

Just take your time.

I often have to remind myself, that the pot life for a batch of epoxy is actually MUCH longer than it takes for me to apply it. :)

I've noticed that too! Epoxy pot life is LONG at 45 degrees. Haha. Even with fast hardener.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Worked on the camper this evening. Started figuring out and laying out my drawer seals.

b75ad9cd162310b0ea43fe9d60304792.jpg

Tape my aluminum plate in place and get it alighted so the drawer slides will bypass the seals. Haven't verified this yet but I will. I'm likely going to have another plate cut anyway because the bulb seal clamps on over the edge of the aluminum and doesn't seem happy on 1/8" aluminum even though it says it's for that thickness. Anyway, I'll probably open up the openings where the seals mount so there is more clearance when I have this plate redone in slightly thinner material. Bummer but it'll work out and it wasn't that expensive.

5a20e2239bc08ad7fba5ea891c3220ed.jpg

Then I traced the aluminum plate and marked all the holes. I also traced 1/2" outside the edge of the plate because I'm going to put a second layer of plywood back here to help get the drawer faces flush. You'll see, it'll be awesome. Haha.

77420b33c4142011354d74737e5f4139.jpg

Drawing the 1/2" offset line went like this! Take a pieces of something 1/2" thick and slide it along the shape with a pencil. Done.

94fedb957a43fd9791f429640dbc1af6.jpg

ec967efd3152a2e84ff659ff214ce5ce.jpg

That's it for today. I still need to verify whether or not the drawer slides will bypass with the seals in place but I'll get to that.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
FINALLY got the camper mount files out for cut/Bend. I have no idea why that took so long. Man, I took a serious break from this project. I expect it'll be about a week or so before I get those back.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Okay, getting back into camper work after some time off and a nice Cambodian vacation.

1210c83a3bfa38018d49e0b2da0a6124.jpg

f5ecb2fcdd41c933481779d288ab0114.jpg

7144ac4bc3a4f4e42319a881f96f3b4b.jpg

0a6efefc2a2aa79c6125ae9b120a7a2e.jpg

What you see here are the base plates and spacers that make up the camper mounts. These fit the truck well, got lucky measuring everything, I guess! Im not completely sold on my overall design but I've got to start somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles