1 Bored Clerk's DIY Camper

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I'm sure if you did one of those new beds that come rolled up in a box the foam ones, it would fit

Yeah, it would probably just squish itself in there as it expanded. I’m thinking of going with two pieces of foam with the split running lengthwise down the middle. That way it’s easier to fold them up or remove them to air out. We’ll see. I’ve only got about 3,000 other things to do before I have to make that decision. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
fe7deab237ed7d56df4b848bbb4616b3.jpg

I’m in the camper for the first time! And I’m sanding...overhead. It’s cool to be inside though.

93b87bc90f883d39f193d8d9cd2f6e57.jpg

Glassed up the floor seam too. Same as the bottom: strip down the middle, one offset to each side, another strip down the middle.

More to come!

Nations1

Great build, especially given your lack of hands on experience, it truly shows what a “can do” spirit brings to the table.

I grew up doing fiberglass work in the body shop industry and spent some time later in life working for a boatbuilder in the Portland area that specializes in wood composite construction. Lots of solid advise so far, I would add that taping the inside fillets is critical. Also, try using a product called “peel ply”. As epoxy cures it out gasses wax, if the wax isn’t completely removed by sanding and/or chemicals you lose adhesion. Peel ply is applied onto wet epoxy and pulls the wax residue off when removed after cure eliminating the need for most of the sanding. It also can be used to help shape nice, long, consistent fillets for appearance sake. You will still need to do some touch up sanding but the peel ply will eliminate most of it. You can epoxy directly on top of the surface after you remove the peel ply, it’s available most places that stock epoxy products.

I just wish I had read your thread sooner

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Great build, especially given your lack of hands on experience, it truly shows what a “can do” spirit brings to the table.

I grew up doing fiberglass work in the body shop industry and spent some time later in life working for a boatbuilder in the Portland area that specializes in wood composite construction. Lots of solid advise so far, I would add that taping the inside fillets is critical. Also, try using a product called “peel ply”. As epoxy cures it out gasses wax, if the wax isn’t completely removed by sanding and/or chemicals you lose adhesion. Peel ply is applied onto wet epoxy and pulls the wax residue off when removed after cure eliminating the need for most of the sanding. It also can be used to help shape nice, long, consistent fillets for appearance sake. You will still need to do some touch up sanding but the peel ply will eliminate most of it. You can epoxy directly on top of the surface after you remove the peel ply, it’s available most places that stock epoxy products.

I just wish I had read your thread sooner

Thanks! I’ve read plenty about peel ply...just didn’t know how much it would help me out. Sounds like the answer is: a lot! I may see about picking some up for the inside camper work as I haven’t done much in there yet and would love to avoid as much sanding as possible.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Last weekend, I got the entire exterior of the camper sanded.

000d8eb2ec9b3c684e81ace4addd5f44.jpg

Not that you can tell in this photo.

929c97c1143006189b62d6d38e9821e6.jpg

Last night I mixed up some resin with micro balloons and applied a very thin layer. I’m not familiar with this process so I took it easy on the application. I assume it’s like using Bondo; put on the least amount needed because you will sand most of it off. When this cures, I’ll sand it down and see where I stand.

I’m currently using a 6” spreader. I’ll see if I can get my hands on something much wider to average out the surface more. I really just want to fair in the area around the seam tape. Going over the rest of the panel is to fill in all the divots in these terribly finished panels. The more work I have to do, the less I feel like I can recommend Carbon Core panels. YMMV.

Martyinco

Adventurer
I'm currently using a 6” spreader. I'll see if I can get my hands on something much wider to average out the surface more. I really just want to fair in the area around the seam tape.

If you can use a metal spreader, just get a drywall taping knife, could go pretty wide

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
That’s what I’ve seen used in some videos I’ve watched of this process. I’ll probably swing by the store and pick one up

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Sanded off the fairing compound that I applied last week.

4b459a36583fc02df08f33048863d399.jpg

Doesn’t look great in the photos but it feels smooth to my bare hand. That’s good enough for me!

1069f1ef2cce26802e8bfe5ced11ba75.jpg

Then I applied more fairing compound to almost the entire rest of the camper. That’s been curing for a few days now. I’ll start sanding next week after we get back from a quick thanksgiving vacation.

I noticed I was getting small bubbles in some places when I was glassing the seams. Pinholes in the glass on the panels, I would guess. Now that I’m covering a much larger surface area, I’m seeing tons more bubbles. I’m guessing I’m going to have to go over the camper several times to get rid of all of these? Any insight on this would be helpful. I want to get it sorted properly before I put paint on it.

rruff

Explorer
Now that I'm covering a much larger surface area, I'm seeing tons more bubbles. I'm guessing I'm going to have to go over the camper several times to get rid of all of these? Any insight on this would be helpful. I want to get it sorted properly before I put paint on it.

How big are they? Surface or under the glass?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Are you referring to bubbles in the epoxy, or unsaturated glass?

For bubbles in the epoxy, you should be using a torch to remove the bubbles as you go.

For unsaturated glass, more epoxy, and "work" the glass more until saturated.

Looks good BTW :ylsmoke:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Are you referring to bubbles in the epoxy, or unsaturated glass?

For bubbles in the epoxy, you should be using a torch to remove the bubbles as you go.

For unsaturated glass, more epoxy, and "work" the glass more until saturated.

Looks good BTW :ylsmoke:

Bubbles in the epoxy. Haven’t heard of the torch method. Interesting! Would a heat gun do the trick?

I took a week off. It’s time to get back in there and sand this thing down again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste