1 Bored Clerk's DIY Camper

rruff

Explorer
It'll be a minuscule amount of weight. The epoxy fillet is very weak compared to epoxy-cloth, and if forces are in the right direction it will pull that seam apart. The way I look at it is that you want to keep all the skins continuous, which means you add layers at every seam.

rruff

Explorer
I know it's tough to know what to do. Trying to make it just strong enough and not too hard to build without going overboard.

That reminds me of some Styromax videos I saw. They make panels with fiberglass skins and foam, and they just glue them together at the edges (no extrusions either). Seems really weak to me, but they don't glass over them on the inside or out.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Weird. I'm definitely NOT in a clean room and controlled environment with highly trained technicians and a perfectly designed structure so adding a little extra here and there couldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Cuts and tape. Some fine tuning on the fit and this will epoxy up real nice.

20bd9f98b5290b504dc25dd6559d2515.jpg

73e19139499e6504f4c4a7dbd6e2108b.jpg

13cffb5e0e634c7f677952789aa8d499.jpg

2eec3155417d40ce2be79e36c20638d2.jpg

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Some panels in place!

6fb4ee07f3d3619b44edffcdfe0ff0eb.jpg

8cd67f4a3377a16764b173971c456011.jpg

5 panels are epoxied in place now. I could have finished all of them but I didn't order more supplies in time. It'll have to wait until next weekend. I have a few other rings that need attention this weekend anyway, so it's no biggie.

I've found that, if the panels are clean of any dust/contaminants, blue painters tape sticks really well. As you can see, I'm using it for all of my work holding. So far so good.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Also, I'm going to go ahead and tape the seams inside and out. Adding fiberglass to both sides seems smart.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Also, I'm going to go ahead and tape the seams inside and out. Adding fiberglass to both sides seems smart.

Looking good! Love seeing these projects done out of a garage. You might as well reinforce the seams, I can't see it adding that much weight and seems like a great idea especially for shock loading and spreading out the force on the joints.

From someone that tends to overbuild/overthink everything myself I think its worth the extra time to not have to worry about the project failing down the road, or redoing it. As a home builder/hobbyist most don't have the time or money to test parts to failure to see what you can get away with, even if you did it isn't worth it unless you are going to build multiple units.

Last edited:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Looking good! Love seeing these projects done out of a garage. You might as well reinforce the seams, I can't see it adding that much weight and seems like a great idea especially for shock loading and spreading out the force on the joints.

From someone that tends to overbuild/overthink everything myself I think its worth the extra time to not have to worry about the project failing down the road, or redoing it. As as home builder/hobbyist most don't have the time or money to test parts to failure to see what you can get away with, even if you did it isn't worth it unless you are going to build multiple units.

Thanks! I've always enjoyed seeing what others have done in their garage. It's impressive to see what some people can get done by themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne