91 land cruiser UTE camper build

60toyetero

Adventurer
Ok guys I need ideas but this is what i'm thinking. I only have one quote in the states and the others from overseas.. so now i'm thinking... maybe I can do this for way under that cost... I have the time to build it and I get it most of the cost is probably coming from the time it will take to build it. I'm a hands on type of guy and I like to think I am resourceful, but that is just what I think hahaha

14322472_1518134881545640_5634348964538077004_n.jpg
14370052_1518134924878969_1360683721768528137_n.jpg

This is my UTE

frame.gif

I got a quote of almost 1800 plus materials to get this aluminum frame built.. after having this frame on the truck, why can't I just use nida core, or alumalite, or just plain wood to make the walls? then cover with smooth fiberglass siding?

This is the plan

thumbnail_Attachment-1 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The only challenge with using commonly available panels to infill the frame is that they are only 4 foot wide usually - so it makes having the panels work as the "stressed skin" component difficult since there would be breaks at each of the seams.

You might consider having custom made composite panels done to fit the frame - there is a company up in the Vancouver BC area which is offering them - look for threads from someone called "Victorian" I think. They usually can supply them with all of the doors and windows pre-cut out as well. They they can be glued on the inside of the aluminum framework with the frame providing the seals at the edges and protection from damage. Easy to eliminate cold bridging that way as well.

60toyetero

Adventurer
The only challenge with using commonly available panels to infill the frame is that they are only 4 foot wide usually - so it makes having the panels work as the "stressed skin" component difficult since there would be breaks at each of the seams.

You might consider having custom made composite panels done to fit the frame - there is a company up in the Vancouver BC area which is offering them - look for threads from someone called "Victorian" I think. They usually can supply them with all of the doors and windows pre-cut out as well. They they can be glued on the inside of the aluminum framework with the frame providing the seals at the edges and protection from damage. Easy to eliminate cold bridging that way as well.

WOW !! so what you are telling me is that I can have someone build me the frame for about 3-3,500 including material, then have someone make me the walls, and I can make a drive up there myself or I can have them shipped somehow, and that's it, I have my shell? then add windows and details... Just gave them a call and sent them rough estimates. I will find out the cost soon.

Last edited:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
WOW !! so what you are telling me is that I can have someone build me the frame for about 3-3,500 including material, then have someone make me the walls, and I can make a drive up there myself or I can have them shipped somehow, and that's it, I have my shell? then add windows and details... Just gave them a call and sent them rough estimates. I will find out the cost soon.

Turtle V was built with this method (aluminum frame, nida core panels, panels glued to frame) it seems to be an excellent way to build a box! I will be very curious to see what you end up with for cost on custom panels. BTW, you have the coolest model truck available anywhere in the world. Nice start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60toyetero

Adventurer
Turtle V was built with this method (aluminum frame, nida core panels, panels glued to frame) it seems to be an excellent way to build a box! I will be very curious to see what you end up with for cost on custom panels. BTW, you have the coolest model truck available anywhere in the world. Nice start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man! and I think so too. 1hz diesel and I dig the color very much. Most UTE are white so it was awesome finding one original green. Well total composites wants 8k for the panels big enough for me to cut whatever size I need so I can just have one panels walls instead of gluing them myself. I am not sure about that price.. it seems crazy to me bc well you can get a whole camper for that or less used hahah. Seems like anything that has the " expedition " word attached to will just cost that much more just bc.. kind of like the word tactical before something that is black green or tan... flashlight 5 dollars... Tactical flashlight 150 dollars lol. I am searching around trying to figure out the most cost effective way. Maybe more cross beams so I can use smaller panels? I might do aluminum frame and wood walls and fiberglass siding? that seems the cheapest way.

Xfactor

Observer
Subscribed...having similar thoughts for a different platform.

Good luck with finding panels, please share the info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94