Recommend a helmet

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
So I'm shopping for a helmet and I found one that I like but it is offered in MIPS and without. Having MIPS is $40 more and the guy at the bike shop didn't have much to say on MIPS added protection.

I almost always use a MIPS lid. It isn't universally loved, not that it has any negatives. Some argue it is a non-benefit. Others say that you can get the same effect with...a full head of hair of all things. In effect, it allows the helmet to rotate slightly on your head, which in turn mimics the fluid in your noggin between your brain and skull. It is intended to lessen rotational forces on impact which cause a lot of trauma to your brain.

Another think I have read over the years that makes sense, some manufacturers like POC try to keep their vent holes rounded and less likely to catch on intrusions in the ground on impact. That promotes a slide across the ground. If a helmet catches on the ground, you get more rotational force, more brain injury. Same reason some motorcycle riders wear suits made of materials that slide.

Lastly...now that I've worn and tested probably 50-75 helmets over the years, there are some things that matter to me. Visors - need to be solid, adjustable if possible, and dark in color on the under side. The ratcheting adjustment system needs to be one-handed and the contacts at the back of the head need to be adjustable up and down. The pressure points on the back of your head can be very sensitive so you want that retention system to be adjustable to move the contact point.

fortel

Adventurer
Others say that you can get the same effect with...a full head of hair of all things.

So that's my problem. I guess my next helmet needs to be a MIPS.

Seriously though, your mention of vent hole shape makes a lot of sense. The trails I ride have a lot of exposed, sharp-edged rock like chert which makes me prefer a MTB helmet with smaller vents and better coverage. Its hotter but something like a Halo skullcap helps manage the sweat rolling off my bald head.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
So that's my problem. I guess my next helmet needs to be a MIPS.

Seriously though, your mention of vent hole shape makes a lot of sense. The trails I ride have a lot of exposed, sharp-edged rock like chert which makes me prefer a MTB helmet with smaller vents and better coverage. Its hotter but something like a Halo skullcap helps manage the sweat rolling off my bald head.
Something like a POC Trabec might be a better option. It has the beveled vent holes I was speaking of. Lots of them.

p nut

butter
So I'm that guy. The newbie amateur that knows nothing about bikes, on my third ride about 3 miles from home and I get a flat. Hell I don't even know how to put air in these tires... time to do some shopping it looks like lol. Any recommendations on a pump setup? Is it normal to carry some sort of trail repair kit?? What do you call the funky bleeder valve stem deal? A quick amazon search brings up the word presta??

Yes, presta valves. Most decent bikes come with presta tubes. You can buy a Schrader valve adapter for a couple bucks at your local shop, in case you need to air back up at a gas station. But you should really look into tubeless. There are a ton of videos and info online (on tubeless and basic bike tutorials). It can be overwhelming, but with great articles and video tutorials, you'll get the basics down fairly quick. There is a beginner's section on mtbr that has good info (look at the stickies)

http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner/
_
Or just ask here. To answer your specific question:
- I carry a pump. Some people carry CO2 cartridges, but I like the reliability of a pump. I've used Blackburn in the past. They're cheap and they work. Mine broke after 10 years and they sent me a new one. But the last pump I bought was a Lezyne. Mainly for the size. They're small and still performs well. Luckily, I haven't had to use it much this year (once or twice).
_
- Tool kit is a must. I normally carry a spare tube, tire lever (just one), multi-tool that includes 3-6,8mm hex wrenches, T20, and a chain tool, a quick link, needle/thread, and tube patch kit.
_
Regarding helmets, I still have yet to come across a proper research that MIPS does anything. I would just go with something that fits well and feels comfortable. This is one of those items that you should pay extra to try at your local shop vs shopping online (or the scummy thing to do -- showcasing -- try at a store and buy online).

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I found a helmet that fits well at my bike shop, was tempted to go order it online and save 30 bucks but felt bad about it so bought it there. I ordered a co2 pump, crank brothers tool, and a tire lever last night from amazon. I don't think have tubes it appeared valve was hard mounted to rim.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
I found a helmet that fits well at my bike shop, was tempted to go order it online and save 30 bucks but felt bad about it so bought it there. I ordered a co2 pump, crank brothers tool, and a tire lever last night from amazon. I don't think have tubes it appeared valve was hard mounted to rim.

Good first steps! So, Presta valves have a nut that screws down and fixes them to the rim. Even the presta tubes have this. The purpose is to stop the valve from pushing down into the tire when you push a pump onto it. You have tubes in your tires for sure, unless you have a tubeless setup... which is very unlikely unless you specifically asked for it from the shop. Tubeless setups are desirable for mountain biking because it allows you to run low pressures for grip/smooth ride without worrying about pinch flatting your tires from rim strikes... There are a few ways to achieve a tubeless setup... but the professional way is to have tubeless specific rims, special rim tape, and latex sealant in the tire. That's probably too much information, but what I'm getting at is that you probably should pick up some tubes :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I found a helmet that fits well at my bike shop, was tempted to go order it online and save 30 bucks but felt bad about it so bought it there.
Good for you. I worked in the bike shop biz for over a decade. If I was going to firebomb someone's house, it would be the people who "shop" at bike shops and then buy online. That you didn't speaks volumes of your character.

If you're going to buy online, and I believe you should if it is the better option for you, I would recommend gathering your information from online resources like this one here. There are as many expert opinions shared here as there are on any bike-specific site. And you don't have to deal with the snotty attitude that is frequently associated with bike shops. I know as I was probably one of them in my younger years. LOL.

Joe917

Explorer
One thing not mentioned so far is look for the Snell sticker.
Snell sets standards for motorcycle and bicycle helmets.

Terex

Adventurer
I have a big head (7.5) and have a POC Trabec Race w/ Mips. My wife has a Smith helmet (the sunglasses company) that has a honeycomb liner. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of helmets, look at http://www.bhsi.org/ . They have the latest helmets, helmets by shape, by size, MIPS helmets - basically every helmet available in North America and Europe.

For road riding, I have an LAS Squalo. And two LAS Squalos with cracks at the right temple - I don't ride road much anymore...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Found my pinhole in my tube, installed SLIME brand patches, both failed with 2 miles, I allowed 1 hour of set time for each patch. I bought a tube that a local sporting good store, am going to install it tonight. Is there a preferred brand of tube to buy? I know someone mentioned tubeless, my wheels say "tubeless ready" on the side so not sure what I should do from here. I know one thing, riding a bike is a heck of a lot more fun than working on a bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles