a good route through norway

in transit Pete

looking to drive up to Nordkapp this summer on the way round to Russia, we normally do the right side of Sweden but this year want to Norway and the Atlantic coast, is it as good as they say and does anyone have any route suggestions for it?

avdem

Living on the west coast i'm probably a bit biased but it's definitely worth it. Do you have a schedule?

in transit Pete

Avdem, looking for a load of information from you please.

i have only ever done Norway around Bergan and a few times i have gone north we have used the E6,E4 which is ok and fast but not as good as it could be

what i want to do this time is to get over to the west coast more but without having to drive inland to drive around and up. so my general plan is to drive westwards a few times to get right out to the glourios spots before driving north again

i have been working through the Fjord1 website on the ferries as theres hundreds of them. what i am looking for info wise is rough costs, for some reason when in england i cant seem to work through the screens to get ticket information. so here is a specific place and route for you, Anda to Lote on the E39 what does that cost, times are irrelivent as we will get the ferry when , and at what ever time we get there too. what i want to do is to allow finances to cover the ferries as wella s fuel and the like.

next up is the ticket, do you like the monthly bils or pay as you go in cash, we were looking at getting a fery card to help the finances and payments. we are not going to hundreds of trips but a few.

the route is not as planned yet as i am awaiting different mapping systembut the general idea is to get from Malmo to Nordkapp in 10 days and back in another ten days. so the general starting thought is a slow drive up and a fast decent or an equal split or a fast up through sweeden on the E4 and a slow down drive back, we have about 20 days to drive up and back, allowing for other time before hand and afterwards, its a shame the england to norway ferry does not operate anymore, that used to save me so much hassle getting over and back

the route it self is dependant on hot spots we wish to visit, so far we have Nordkapp and the Russian boarder at Hesseng, Tromso we have heard good things about so that might in there too. We cant go into Russia due to my passport needs to change which is in a couple of years time, in which case we want to spend a fair bit of time in Scandinavia and Russia

time lines we are looking at doing this trip in June/July time and hopefully for the winter season a second trip in late octomber or november lasting a couple of months, i have to prepare better for real winter cold, first though , being british we only do minus 4 and thats killing us, not quite sure when i was in poland and its minus 34 and every thing started to freeze solid, a lot to learn yet

in transit Pete

ok, we have been looking at the maps today and can i throw some questions out there please.
the general idea is denmark to top of norway running towards the west coast when ever possible.
as we have never been there and done this can i ask a few basic questions on a proposed route, yes i know normally people take a year to do this but i have only 5 weeks, 6 at the most to do this one trip

1, starting at Denmark. which is the better route to consider?
we are aiming at Telemark as first planned point of aim, so from Denmark do we bridge drive to Malmo, or ferry from Frederikshavn to Goteborg, other suggestions could be Hirtshals to Larvik or Hirtshals to Kristansand.
is there much difference from costs to time traveled to make any odds

2,Telemark to Trondheim, any suggested routes other than the E6??

3, Trondheim to Mo I Rana. the last time i was over here we were told about the Fv710 and Fv715 from Trondheim to Namsos, google maps is telling me is 250km amd 5 hours, but how much does the ferry cost and in time how long does the ferry take, we were looking at spending a couple of days driving it, is it worth it or is the higher up route 4 better value for time and effort??

4, Namsos to Sandnessjoen, on the Fv17,, this is again on google at 6 hours long and 300km, so for a starter to get going is it as good as they say?
also to make life more interesting, i see a much much smaller road and long path to travel via the Fv769 and Fv770 ( Ramsuika-Salsnes-Hofles-Kolvereid-Foldereid) out on the far coast line, maybe this is worth the ride out and we spend a few days extra out there

5, Sandnessjoen to Bodo, again the Fv17 springs to mind rather than the E6, but any help for ideas please.

6, heres a question from Bodo do i bolt strraight up the E6 to Narvik or do i ferry out to Reine at Lofoten and come back in on the E10 to Narvik??

7, Narvik to Alta we were loking to follow the E6 as a slow simple drive off

8, Alta to Nordkapp, E6 and E69

9, Nordkapp to Kirkenes, ( just to say i have looked at Russia again)

10, Kirkenes to Inari to Rovaniemi to Tornio to Lulea

11, Lulea to Lycksele to Ostersund Fv45 ( we like the idea of running down the Fv 45 from Lulea to Mora and down to Karlstad)

11 Ostersund to Karlstad

12, Karlstad to Goteborg and ferry back to Denmark to Malmo and drive back over the Bridges

in transit Pete

if your reading this via the search button some time in the future, also look to try the website "trip adviser" they have a travel forum section and you will find this question and many others over there. they also deal with individual countrys , areas, counties and islands so the detail is brilliant and very very fresh

see you on the road some day

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Pete,

Sounds like a good route. Wife and I wanna do Nordkapp in blue period. Crazy, yes!

We have done Fredrikshaven to Oslo, and Bergen to Stavanger to Hirtshals. I strongly recommend transiting Hardangervidda plateau. It was amazing.

From Kristiansand north would be a route to there.

Keep the post updated, as maybe we will follow you in a few months. Around to St. Petersburg would be my ideal trip.

Cheers,
KGH

in transit Pete

Pete,

Sounds like a good route. Wife and I wanna do Nordkapp in blue period. Crazy, yes!

We have done Fredrikshaven to Oslo, and Bergen to Stavanger to Hirtshals. I strongly recommend transiting Hardangervidda plateau. It was amazing.

From Kristiansand north would be a route to there.

Keep the post updated, as maybe we will follow you in a few months. Around to St. Petersburg would be my ideal trip.

Cheers,
KGH

we are building up to a short russian trip and then a longer one, not able to get a visa or access into russia just yet i have another four years to go before they lift my restrictions, lol

any way this year we did a short trial which was blightly up to denmark and and around denmark up to hirtshalls as a see what we like, we found that doing very long distences due to ur ages that around 500 kms or 6 hours was enough to do continuously for several days, i have done many trips where we have done 1500miles in one single road trip in one sitting but not any more we get bored and the back and backside are not as soft as they used to be, hahahahahaah

what that means for us is a better ideal to travel
we plan to leave work at 13;00hrs on thursday afternoon and drive direct to folkstone for the train, france by midnight and a kip in belguim an hour later, after that a short run up the next day to the hamburg area a hop of 700kms and 6 hours, and then on saturday a shorter drive up into denmark from hamburg to hirtshals which is 500kms and 5 hours and then saturday afternoon and all day sunday at hirtshals as a break. monday the early ferry and then off to the telemark area to see the hardangervidda plateau, we have not decided on the route to it and around it yet but yes its point one for us to call at.

the year after we want to float ( in a camper van type vehicle) in the lower half to do the fordjs and the big sights, in this trip i am more interested in 68Degrees and north, so after the hardangervidda we want to jump up to trondemhiem again a massive 600km 7 hour jump, after that last jump we want slow and scenic so its hit the west coast and a slow low gear northwards. if you say it takes us four days to get to Larvik and back that leaves me with a possible 25 days to drive north and a fast decent backwards, there is a chance we might stretch from 4 weeks to 6 weeks but thats more dependant on work than money as i would like a job still when i get back!!!!!

any way trondenhiem to nordkapp is 1600 kms and for us thats a steady 20 plus hours driving allowing 20 days up and a short five back through sweeden a time for ferrys and the like its not to pushed for speeding along looking out of the windows

where i wanted advice was i wanted information to get from hamburg to norway and the best suggested routes, i was hopping to find some vikings here to help me out, thats when someone put me on to trip advisor website, there are forums and on each forum there are specific countrys areas and regions and thats where we had some poor and good and brilliant advice on how to get around norway

the largest area of risk is the time scales and the largest unknown is the ferries from and to sections we wanted to take, on there websites we are unable to book tickets for them so we cant find out costs and we cant also find out time scales either.

what we did find is the little man in google works in norway as well as blighty so the offf road sections and mountain roads we want to aim for to drive along are some times driven by the google cars so we have a good idea what we can tackle and or handle so we dont waste time doing roads we have no chance to complete, this maxamises our travel time and efforts. we have struggled here on this forum as its an americian based on so theres nothing here on working russia and the like we have also found that some of the mapping programmes suggested here and so forth work only this side of the iron curtain and not the otherside or lacks to much information to be usefull to me here.

there are though norwiegian camper van and travel face book pages and the same with russia which i am trying to find and to speak to, its seams only fashionable to drive from the uk to morroco and north africa, as i lived there and traveled for many years we cant bebothered with it as its to much hassle for not enough gain. the russians we have spoken to so far have been brilliant in passing information and help and advice. we would like to do Poland and then Belarus as i have a large invertaion there to fullfill from there its probable upwards before side ways east

hmmar

Observer
if your reading this via the search button some time in the future, also look to try the website "trip adviser" they have a travel forum section and you will find this question and many others over there. they also deal with individual countrys , areas, counties and islands so the detail is brilliant and very very fresh

see you on the road some day

Well, here you have shared such rights things but now I would share with you I am also a travelers and need to some names of islands for beautiful landscapes as a enjoyments of travel with friends. So sure you or any other member will try to share with me here.

Leipo

try to include the Lofoten in your route: in my opinion the most beautiful part of Norway!

Last year we took the bridge to Sweden, but we booked a boat from Kristiansund to Hirthals for the return trip. next time we will also take the boat for the journey to Norway: faster, more relaxed, around the same in costs: ferry vs fuel/toll costs

tip: you can stay for free on the beach by Hirthals so you can arrive late and take the boat the next morning

in transit Pete

as we are planning two trips over two years we have decided to target top half this year in the summer and the lower half in the autumn or early spring

after a quick drive up to Denmark we want a couple of days break so we were going to aim for the Telemark area and then a jump up higher the country, by doing so we make some time we can use to really slow down and for especially the Lofoten islands, ferry across and a very slow drive back to the main land.

I cant see every thing so i have decided to aim for the spots marked as good drives on the websites. whilst we want to stay mainly on the beaten tracks we do want to stretch ourselves, we have been talking to people who have done a similar thing so we can gauge road conditions as google's little cars did not drive all of the roads in Norway, lol

we want to mix short bursts of distance coverage with slow drives in good scenic areas and high spots, we realise its not perfect but not everyone can afford more than five weeks off work and keep their jobs

avdem

Forgot about this, you are asking about ferries. Most ferries in Norway are crucial parts of the infrastructure so i would not worry to much about them. As long as they belong on one of the major roads (E6, E39, RV17) they mostly run continously, every half hour, some of them more often.
The only excpections would be the longer stretches.

You asked about the one crossing Nordfjord, called Anda - Lote, this one runs every 20 minutes and costs 78 nok for a normal car with driver. 96 nok with a passenger.
That is normally the pricerange for a normal fjord crossing.

During summer you will encounter some queues at the most popular tourist routes, especially RV17, you might have to wait one or two departures.

In Western Norway there are some tourist routes that only runs in summer, for example Hellesylt - Geiranger, these are more expensive than normal routes.

nickburt

Observer
Just picked up on this topic.
I'm looking at planning a trip in 2020:
UK - Netherlands - Germany - Denmark - Sweden - Norway - Sweden - Norway - Finland - Estonia - Latvia - Lithuania - Belarus - Poland - Germany - Netherlands - UK
Current rough route is 4500 km in roughly 4 weeks
Already have a few "must do" locations - Oresund Bridge & tunnel, Atlantic Road and tunnel, Arctic Circle Centre, Nord Kapp but would love to hear from others who have traveled similarly.

I think 4 weeks is probably not enough, unless it really does become a "road trip". But our time is limited by one or two in our group unable to get longer off work in one go. So maybe looking at shortening and sticking to just Scandinavia, without the Estonia to Poland bit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra