Need ideas for my new f350 build.

Betarocker

Adventurer
My 6.0L was happiest when it revved; they don't have the bottom end torque curve like other diesel engines which like to lug.

Paddy

Adventurer
How did you do the rear flare? Looks so much better and that rear wheel well is the main reason I haven't gone to a utility body.

Thanks. I just bashed and bent the steel bed sides and slapped the same flares I had on the factory bed on it. Cut off the excess. It was actually a no brainer. I'm sure there's classier ways of doing it but my way was done with budget in mind. Got the flares on eBay for 75$ for the set.

Attachments

• IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Paddy

Adventurer
Found some snow this week on an emergency mission to help a friend out of a situation.
Truck handled like I expected, very well. The conditions coming back were what I'd describe as 9/10 for winter driving. There were 8 cars in the ditch, all 4wd SUVs and trucks.
I saw a truck scale that was closed so I went trough. With just me, half tank fuel and about 40lbs gear we came in at 8200lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpg
    IMG_5325.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5323.jpg
    IMG_5323.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Paddy

Adventurer
Yes I bet they are hard to find. Of course custom but $$$.
I have really been loving the boxes and it's reduced the natural urge to put a canopy on which is great because I hate canopy. Oh sorry, for those in other regions I'm talking about toppers, you know, camper shells? Anyway it's just nice to drive an open truck, so I've been thinking about different enclosures to use for camping and adventures. So many different options. So, some boiled down ideas include:

-Crazy aluminum pop top insulated etc. slide in camper. I've made a few fairly trick and crazy aluminum campers. Stores in yard when not in use.

-custom canvas hoop type covered wagon soft top thing that could move forward and bunch up. Possibly incorporated into a lumber rack that can accept a RTT, stores in shop while not in use.

-leave it just like it is and find a trailer to sleep in during adventures. Leaves truck bed open for much needed gear. Can't bring boat. Stores in yard when not in use. Not as neat or nimble but bigger and more luxurious. Easy unhook and stow.

Paddy

Adventurer
More 4x4 up to the volcano today. Love having a truck again. I installed a wireless controlled winch in the bed for dragging my snow bike up into the bed and it works great. 89$ at harbor frieght.

Attachments

• IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 50
More 4x4 up to the volcano today. Love having a truck again. I installed a wireless controlled winch in the bed for dragging my snow bike up into the bed and it works great. 89$ at harbor frieght.

Snow bike is awesome. I have been watching a bunch of videos on them. Very cool.
And, I really like your truck. Very functional. Superb!

Where did you get the jack?!

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
If you don't haul a lot on a regular basis, don't be too quick to discount the greatness of a camper shell. I sometimes wish I had left the bed open on my truck, but I haul big things infrequently so my trailer handled that well. I did resist the urge to build an elaborate sleeping platform so I could use the bed of the truck as much as possible, but every time I was l out in the woods under that weatherproof camper shell sleeping on a real mattress, I was glad I had it. It's what I'm gonna miss the most about going back to a tent in the future with my little Jeep.

Paddy

Adventurer
Yeah my problem with the camper shells, or canopies as we call them in the NW, is thecrawling on knees to access anything farther forward than 3' in the bed. Plus, my snowbike won't fit inside. Or my Paramotor. So, lately I've been dreaming of an adventure trailer go drag behind that will have the creature comforts and leave the truck bed open for toys and dirty gassy stuff.

Paddy

Adventurer
Snow bike is awesome. I have been watching a bunch of videos on them. Very cool.
And, I really like your truck. Very functional. Superb!

Where did you get the jack?!

If it doesn't come from eBay, craigslist or Amazon I pretty much won't touch it. The jack was no exception.

And thanks ;)

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I order stuff online too, but I like going into a small business, and looking at a product in person. Plus a mom and pop shop is friendly and it helps the local economy, not some big conglomerate.

Paddy

Adventurer
Oh yeah, well I live in Portland. Shops generally aren't friendly here at all. In fact, if they are even open you'll often find yourself regretting you ever stepped in their door. I don't know what happened around here but people are straight rude and business owners are the worst. It's pretty strange. Anyway the ups man is super nice and he's pretty much my favorite person lol.

jtcym1149

Really like the utility bed and fender flares. Almost hoping my bed wheelwells rust out so I can justify getting the utility bed too. I totally agree with you on the balancing issue. The diesels make the truck super front heavy.
I say get a 3' tall contractor cap. I load my ktm 300 no problem in mine but I hated crawling around in the cab high cap I had years ago. Your utility bedsides look taller than a truck bed so it'll be more than 5' of clearance

Attachments

• KIMG0219.jpg
    KIMG0219.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz