Unimog u1300 expedition truck - Looks like its sold

amg463

Observer
its not going to be easy or cheap to register in CA, any other state yes. As for needing a customs broker or registered importer, not necessary at all. But you will have to drive it back across to mexico or Canada and import it properly before it can be registered here.

unirover

Observer
roverchef, how do you reckon its legal in California?

As for import to the USA, it is possible but not straight-forward. If it is entered into the USA by a non-resident, then it has to leave in 12 months from North America (can't just drive it to Canada or Mexico). It will be noted on the non-residents paperwork and they will have to prove it has been exported. It will be a major hassle for them, including fines and/or not getting future visas, if they do not comply. There is no opt out if you sell it, the whole point is to prevent you from selling it. However, if the USA buyer bought it in Mexico (with invoice, paperwork etc) and they imported it, paid duties, customs fee, brokers etc, then it would be possible since it is 25+ years old. It matters who imports it and under which provisions. Registering it would depend on state. I'm not so sure you could register it in CA but I'm not an expert on those laws which are even worse than EPA and DOT. Importing it should be possible but not cut and dry and if the owners bring it in temporarily to the USA, it will not be a straightforward import and may get complicated/expensive very quickly. Caveat emptor.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I'll move back to Idaho if I have to, to get this vehicle registered.
Q~

No need too. You buy it and I will store it up here in ID for you free of charge. I will take it on long drives at least once a month for you and send you pictures of it out on its drives, again all this free of charge. :smiley_drive:

Franek

Observer
Guys, I'm sorry that I don't respond very well in this topic - we're traveling, right now in Argentina and heading to see finish of Dakar rally. Unimog shipped and picked up in Uruguay. Route as planned, we go south as far as we can, after that through Andes to Colombia and through Central America to US. We plan to reach US about September 2017.

5NN6UP.jpg

shipping in Antwerp, Belgium

qzz7Ou.jpg

my son playing with steering wheel

waYE26.jpg

on the beach in Uruguay, January 2017

Franek

Observer
Update - we're close to Ushuaia; after reaching it we will head north and when we'll reach Colombia (June - July) we're probably going to ship the Unimog directly to US, not driving through Central America.

We also consider selling Mog in South America, the truth is that we're looking to buy a car in US (there are some vehicles which are unaviable in Europe, such as Land Cruiser 60s series we would love to have after finishing our around the world trip), so maybe we will drive through South America, then sell the Mog (for example in Colombia), come to US, buy a vehicle there and after we finish North America we would send it to Europe in a container.

Last edited:

cleansweep

Observer
Correct me if I am wrong please; does this sound about right?
Top speed 100-110 KPH ? (62-68 mph)
Top cruising speed 80 KPH ? (50 MPH)

Franek

Observer
Correct me if I am wrong please; does this sound about right?
Top speed 100-110 KPH ? (62-68 mph)
Top cruising speed 80 KPH ? (50 MPH)

Dear cleansweep, top speed is about 85km/h. And that's TOP, really. If You install big wheels (14,5 r20 instad 12,5 r20), the speed shoud raise about 10%. Changing the differential ratio would improve the speed further; with big wheels and fast axles, cruising speed is about 90km/h.

Our cruising speed is about 67 km/h. Bigger wheels would make it about 73km/h.

Here You have more information: http://www.unimogcenter.com/unimog435.html

Meanwhile, some pics:

GAMtB8.jpg

nesn6B.jpg

on Dakar Rally bivac camp we've managed to sneak in :)

a1CgEX.jpg

GzQVhZ.jpg

6IrPwb.jpg

CJh85R.jpg

VsGK4C.jpg

wUzA1d.jpg

VMgt8f.jpg

nSR2CW.jpg

GzQVhZ.jpg

QDxPOj.jpg

PIi0dn.jpg

nWOqZM.jpg

5mR3vr.jpg

Last edited:

cleansweep

Observer
Thanks......These vehicles can clearly go where few other motorhomes (or any 4x4 for that matter) can go, but the top speed would make it impractical for me personally. It is a beautiful and unique vehicle very rare in USA and I am sure there are many individuals who will not be off put by the speeds available. I wish you safe travels and the best of luck!
Cleansweep...AKA Jim
Dear cleansweep, top speed is about 85km/h. And that's TOP, really. If You install big wheels (14,5 r20 instad 12,5 r20), the speed shoud raise about 10%. Changing the differential ratio would improve the speed further; with big wheels and fast axles, cruising speed is about 90km/h.

Our cruising speed is about 67 km/h. Bigger wheels would make it about 73km/h.

Here You have more information: http://www.unimogcenter.com/unimog435.html

Gifu

Observer
Registering in California should not be difficult.

As long as it's 25 years or older, it does not need to comply with federal NHSTA, EPA, DOT... and if older than 1998 and diesel, it doesn't need to comply with CA emissions.

Now... keeping up with traffic on roads in the U.S.? That's another story.

giantiger

It is a really beautiful beast for off road. But drive on the highway or freeway? nope. Impossible to keep up other vehicles as the same speed-- let us say, 65mph(105km/h) for a below average cruise speed during a long trip.
I was greatly interested in the unimog 1300L during the past months, but finally think about the top cruise speed is not good for the highway, I give up finally.
And think about the mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 truck chassis now.
good luck with your adventure! I am sure you will have plenty of fun in Patagonia.
Enjoy the trip.

Franek

Observer
Thanks!

We got used to the speed quite quickly :) In fact, our daily distance is not much different from for example Volkswagen LT that we've been traveling for a while in Brazil and Argentina.

But that have to be clearly said, Unimogs are not designed for traveling on highways. If somebody wants to drive over 100km/h and cruise on highways, there are plenty of better suited vehicles, starting from normal campers. Unimog can be adjusted to cruise at 90km/h and in my opinion that's a reasonable speed for a truck.

Mitsubishi Fuso is also a great car!

best regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke