Proper Wheels and Backspacing for Toyo MT/AT2 315's on 2nd Gen Dodge Expo Truck?

alaska

Observer
I'm helping a good friend set up his '96 2500 Dodge Ram Diesel with a new set of tires. The truck is a 4x4, manual trans, 3.54 gears, that is now completely stock and that will be used for both work (towing no more than 9K lbs.) and long distance expo travel, seeing a mix of highway and country roads and trails, but definitely there will be no rock climbing or anything extreme of any kind. When in expo mode, an ARE MX topper will provide the needed shelter, and an easily removable sleeping/storage platform the necessary amenities.
After exploring the various possibilities, we have decided to stay with 16" rims since there is a big jump in price when going to 17" tires and, though the 17's offer more choices and options, the Toyo LT315/75R16 tires in both the M/T and AT2 flavors seem excellent choices in the context of what the owner has in mind for his truck.

When briefly considering 17's as an alternative option, we thought of going with 3rd Gen aluminum wheels (they are 8" wide with a 6.25" backspacing), reasoning that OEM wheels tend to be stronger than aftermarket ones and that 3rd Gen rims look really great! and also given that a friend of ours had a line on a cheap set of four of them, in great condition, for around 250 bucks.
However, the problem is that these wheels' backspacing (6.25") places them too close to 2nd Gen trucks' control arms and therefore would lead to excessive rubbing. To circumvent this problem, we considered getting 1" - 1.5" aluminum wheel spacers, but after reading a bit on this topic and talking to an experienced 2nd Gen Dodge owner who had gone this route only to later regret it (because wheel spacers had become the weak link in his otherwise solid platform), we gave up that idea.
The other way around it would have been getting aftermarket, bent control arms, like the Thuren's, which would make possible using 3rd Gen wheels on 2nd Gen trucks, but it would all become unnecessarily expensive and complicated.
Thus, we decided to stay with the original 16" tall, 8" wide OEM aluminum rims that came originally with the truck.

I'm not positively sure about this, but I remember reading somewhere that the original 2nd Gen Dodge aluminum rims have a 5" or 5.25" backspacing, perhaps someone here who knows the exact number can confirm it? Adding a 2" leveler kit should reasonably clear the 315's with no rub or very minimal rub at complete wheel turn.

The only question that still remains is, would a 9" aftermarket wheel be preferable to the 8" OEM 2nd Gen rims? The Toyos are usually true size tires and the specs given by the Toyo website are 34.9"x12.9" @ 76 lbs. for the 315/75R16 M/T's and 34.6"x12.3" @ 72 lbs. for the AT2's in the same size. A few people have some concern that using 8" wheels with these large tires might lead to a bit of ballooning and consequent premature wearing of the center of the tires, feeling that 9" wheels allow for substantially flatter tires at higher pressures with comparable loads. I'd appreciate some feedback especially on this last point (preferable wheel width to run these tires) and, if 9" rims are suggested, what brands/wheel models and what backspacing are most desirable in your experience for this application? Responses from 2nd Gen owners with actual practical experience with these tires would be especially appreciated, but also input and comments from anyone else are very much welcome.

The truck, as pointed out before, has 3.54 gears, and there is the argument that 315/75R16's with 3.54 gears result in a rather sluggish stop and go, especially when towing. and often 285/75R16 tires are recommended in their place. However, we plan to do some very basic engine mods in the near future, so, with the additional power from the mods, the 315's should provide an almost ideal final gear ratio for both decent power and fuel economy...being able to go 75 mph @ 1900-2000 rpm on the highway, which is the sweet spot for these trucks.

Pardon the long post...I meant to contribute the information I learned along the way and also the reasoning leading to tire selection, not only in the hope that it may be useful to someone facing a similar decision, but also so that it can be challenged if it doesn't seem to make much sense, rather than just asking a concise, less informative and less detailed question.

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions...and thanks in advance for your input! :)

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
Personally I would go for 18's with +18 mm of backspace and run cooper atm 285/75/18 you get the load range of 4000 lbs without all the width. They would probably fit with just control arms and then you don't have to lift. I run 295/70/18 with method wheels and only thuren 2 inch springs, and do not rub.

I had the 315.16's on my previous 2nd gen, it seemed a lot more sluggish compared what I run now, I wasn't real happy with that set up, I also don't care much for the MT's since I put a lot of miles on. They fit barely with trimming on 2 inch spacer but had negative offset.

I do though hardly every go 75 mph, milage really tanks at that speed, but the rpms would be better. I prefer to cruise along at 63. Wish I had 4.10's but don't feel like spending the money. I also believe the heavy Toyos with 3.55's are a lot harder on the manual transmission in 5th. I lost 5th in Guatemala and had to drive home with only 4th. The manuals like to lose 5th.

Last edited:

alaska

Observer
Personally I would go for 18's with +18 mm of backspace and run cooper atm 285/75/18 you get the load range of 4000 lbs without all the width. They would probably fit with just control arms and then you don't have to lift. I run 295/70/18 with method wheels and only thuren 2 inch springs, and do not rub.

I had the 315.16's on my previous 2nd gen, it seemed a lot more sluggish compared what I run now, I wasn't real happy with that set up, I also don't care much for the MT's since I put a lot of miles on. They fit barely with trimming on 2 inch spacer but had negative offset.

I do though hardly every go 75 mph, milage really tanks at that speed, but the rpms would be better. I prefer to cruise along at 63. Wish I had 4.10's but don't feel like spending the money. I also believe the heavy Toyos with 3.55's are a lot harder on the manual transmission in 5th. I lost 5th in Guatemala and had to drive home with only 4th. The manuals like to lose 5th.

Thanks for your input! When you say "18's with +18 mm of backspace," what wheel width do you have in mind? For instance, +18mm on wheels with an 8" width corresponds to a 5.25" backspace, while on 9" wide wheels to a 5.75" BS.
You know, I did considered that size too, 285/75R18, because it's the only 35" tire you can find with an almost 11" width, which would be great for expo purposes. However, 18's get to be very expensive when compared to 16's or even 17's, but it's not only that. The 18's sidewalls are shorter than 16's and 17's, and that might be a concern when off the asphalt. The Toyos (both AT's and M/T's) in that size are known to wear pretty quickly for some reason; the Coopers, I have heard, are pretty hard to balance. The tires you are running, the Coopers 295/70R18's, are slightly shorter and wider than the same in 285/75R18 size, so I'm wondering, how many miles do you have on them and how are they wearing out for you with your Northstar Adventurer? Were they hard to balance as they say? Very happy with them?

Could it be that your 315/75R16's felt sluggish on your previous truck compared to now also because of the engine mods that you have now on your current truck? That too has to be taken into account..

I know that 2nd Gen manuals like to lose 5th gear.. Here is a pretty good solution to that, compliments of blakeape:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55446-1997-Cummins-Towho-Expo?p=805189#post805189

Thanks again for your feedback, I'd like to hear more about the 285/75R18's on 2nd Gen Dodges...there's close to zero information available about it on the web.

Darwin

Explorer
You know, I did considered that size too, 285/75R18, because it's the only 35" tire you can find with an almost 11" width, which would be great for expo purposes. However, 18's get to be very expensive when compared to 16's or even 17's, but it's not only that. The 18's sidewalls are shorter than 16's and 17's, and that might be a concern when off the asphalt. The Toyos (both AT's and M/T's) in that size are known to wear pretty quickly for some reason; the Coopers, I have heard, are pretty hard to balance. The tires you are running, the Coopers 295/70R18's, are slightly shorter and wider than the same in 285/75R18 size, so I'm wondering, how many miles do you have on them and how are they wearing out for you with your Northstar Adventurer? Were they hard to balance as they say? Very happy with them?
I am running method race wheels 18x9. I have about 25k miles on my coopers, they are wearing great, I just rotated them at discount tire and they think I will get another 20K out of them. I run them with my camper 3000 lbs plus in the bed 24/7. I don't remember them being too expensive, not sure on the price of the atms by cooper but I could swear when I last checked the price seemed reasonable to me. The 315 toyo mts are not exactly cheap either. As far as balance, I have no idea, I don't balance my own tires, I let Discount do it every time I rotate tires, they seem fine to me.

As far as 5th gear is concerned I ended up going with the 5th gear nut fix, it looks like a pretty sweet way to prevent it from backing off the shaft. 5thgearrepair.com or something like that, they are near me in Colorado. I thought about having the nut welded but didn't trust it to get done right in Guatemala, and didn't want to take the risk.

alaska

Observer
I am running method race wheels 18x9. I have about 25k miles on my coopers, they are wearing great, I just rotated them at discount tire and they think I will get another 20K out of them. I run them with my camper 3000 lbs plus in the bed 24/7. I don't remember them being too expensive, not sure on the price of the atms by cooper but I could swear when I last checked the price seemed reasonable to me. The 315 toyo mts are not exactly cheap either. As far as balance, I have no idea, I don't balance my own tires, I let Discount do it every time I rotate tires, they seem fine to me.

As far as 5th gear is concerned I ended up going with the 5th gear nut fix, it looks like a pretty sweet way to prevent it from backing off the shaft. 5thgearrepair.com or something like that, they are near me in Colorado. I thought about having the nut welded but didn't trust it to get done right in Guatemala, and didn't want to take the risk.

Thanks so much for sharing about your wheels and tires, it is much appreciated.
Would you happen to have a couple of pictures of your truck (front and side) with those wheels and tires on that you can post here? I tried looking in your profile, but couldn't find any.

chet6.7

Explorer
On my Gen 2 V10, 4.10 diff,and a 2 inch spring spacer, I ran 315/75/16 BFG MT on 8 inch Micky Thompson classics.I don't remember the backspacing,I did not have any rubbing,tire wear was normal.
What will the effective gear ratio be changed to with that size tire? Since I went to 315/70/18's I only use 6th on my truck when I hit 70 on the interstate.

alaska

Observer
On my Gen 2 V10, 4.10 diff,and a 2 inch spring spacer, I ran 315/75/16 BFG MT on 8 inch Micky Thompson classics.I don't remember the backspacing,I did not have any rubbing,tire wear was normal.
What will the effective gear ratio be changed to with that size tire? Since I went to 315/70/18's I only use 6th on my truck when I hit 70 on the interstate.

Thanks for your input.

I'm using this formula to calculate mph:

(RPM X TIRE DIAMETER)
____________________________________________ = MPH

(Diff Ratio X Trans Ratio X Trans Case Ratio X 336)

and given:

Toyo AT2 315/75R16 = 34.6" tall

and:

NV4500
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
5.61 3.04 1.67 1.00 0.73

The speed we get on a '96 Dodge Ram Diesel at 1,900 RPM with manual transmission in 5th gear and 34.6" tires is:

with diff ratio 3.55:1 = 75.5 mph

with diff ratio 4.10:1 = 65.4 mph

chasespeed

Explorer
I ran 315/16s, on a healthy 12v 2nd gen, w/nv4500/3.54

No issues with dogging. Just started using 1st gear on inclines, and when towing.

Oh, and ran them on stock 2nd gen alloys. No issues with funny wear. Slight rubbing on stock links at full lock.

I was toying with going up to 37s, and some trimming, but, then, I would've regeared.

In fact, I'm half looking for another truck now....

Chase

alaska

Observer
I ran 315/16s, on a healthy 12v 2nd gen, w/nv4500/3.54

No issues with dogging. Just started using 1st gear on inclines, and when towing.

Oh, and ran them on stock 2nd gen alloys. No issues with funny wear. Slight rubbing on stock links at full lock.

I was toying with going up to 37s, and some trimming, but, then, I would've regeared.

In fact, I'm half looking for another truck now....

Chase

Thanks so much for your response, it is very much appreciated!
Did you just have a 2" leveler kit, and do you happen to remember what kind of fuel mileage your healthy 12v 2nd gen was getting with the 315/16s...and with what type of driving and tires, specifically?

What are your plans for your new truck...are considering to go back to a Cummins? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior