Gen 1 front suspension upgrade guidance needed

plh

Explorer
I to am interested in doing this in the future. My question is that I have a manual trans, what do I do for half shafts?

Manual transmission & V6 or 4 cylinder? No option for 4 cylinder for half shafts and Gen 2 conversion IIRC. If you have a 4 cylinder I think you will need to swap in a front differential from a Gen 1 V6 Manual transmission truck. Pretty sure all Gen 2s use 28 spline half shafts (4 cylinder is 25 spline) on the differential side like the Gen 1 V6 manual transmission trucks. Perhaps the Gen 2 3.0l trucks with automatics used 25 spline CVs - I'm not sure on that.

Last edited:

Montynv

Observer
Manual transmission & V6 or 4 cylinder? No option for 4 cylinder for half shafts and Gen 2 conversion IIRC. If you have a 4 cylinder I think you will need to swap in a front differential from a Gen 1 V6 Manual transmission truck. Pretty sure all Gen 2s use 28 spline half shafts (4 cylinder is 25 spline) on the differential side like the Gen 1 V6 manual transmission trucks. Perhaps the Gen 2 3.0l trucks with automatics used 25 spline CVs - I'm not sure on that.

It's a V6 manual 4 door. Eventually I would like to have a Lsd in the front diff ad well.

Reactions: plh

Oso

Forest Defecator
It's a V6 manual 4 door. Eventually I would like to have a Lsd in the front diff ad well.
Then all you need are the gen 2 components. Everything will swap except the sway bar and you’ll need to “make” some clearance with a grinder in a place or two. It’s doable. For what it’s worth this upgrade will give you a tougher front end but unless you swap torsion bars too, you’re leaving an upgraded suspension on the table. And like everything else, if you upgrade the front suspension you’ll want to upgrade the rear to gen 2 as well.

Montynv

Observer
Thanks for the reply, one last question. When you say all the Gen 2 components, do you mean the front diff assembly as well? As for the rear I have an SR rear end ready to go in.

Oso

Forest Defecator
Thanks for the reply, one last question. When you say all the Gen 2 components, do you mean the front diff assembly as well? As for the rear I have an SR rear end ready to go in.
Nope. Keep your gen 1 diff

Jibs

Are there any differences between the 2.6 torsion bars and the 3.0? Assuming I'm going to upgrade to the Gen 2 upper and lower control arms and front diff?

I've been offline for a long time, 6 months in the Olympics and all winter on the anza borrego.
roughly 11 months in an RTT, is that a record of some kind?
anyhoo back at the shop.
the suspension up grade "works" , only that.
KYB's are not the ticket, the torsion springs should be replaced when doing this, there is not much adjustability, and the ********** rides tough and bump steers.
it's ok, not great.
it's better than sloppy gen1 stuff, it's worse than a new 4runner.
go with the bilsteins, the boys in AZ, are selling.
avoid bushings if u can they are a noisy ,pita

find a very good alignment shop, that will work with u.
there are so many variables to getting the systemp dialed.
my case I used a ton of shim on the UCA.
it furbarred the other settings.
I also , through a perverse attitude , poor weather and irritation cut some corners, and skipped some steps, that I would rather not have done. and the whole job was irksome.
I wish I had taken time to flip the front axle supports to gain room for the gen 2 radiator, so if I dont sell her, I can put my 4.3 v6 in next winter.
I wish I would have taken time to put the high pinion in, the disc rear, the Rubicon t case..... all that I set aside, cause I'm old, and mechanicn' on this left me flat.
bored me.
so, if u do this, be ready for a week of work. I'm expert mech. and it was 10 days of 4 hours each day, b4 it would roll again, and 3 days of fighting adj.

all said , I have 30k on the rig since then, and but for a flat tire this morning, all has held together.
the gains are not super, the greatest value came from better steering.
I used a gen 2 box and 555 components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior