Gen 2 A/T Fluid Advice

razor541

Observer
Hello!

I am looking for advice for my 1994 Gen 2 Montero.

Looking through the service records, the last time the ATF was changed was at ~148k and replaced with Dexron3 (which I understand is the incorrect fluid).
Nothing done on it until now at ~207k.

I don't think the fluid smells burnt, but I'm not sure if I should go with the current fluid until the trans finally gives up, or what the best thing to do is :coffee:
Is there a way to see if just changed the fluid with SPIII would somehow muck it up?

Thanks in advance for the help!

razor541

Observer
Just checked it after letting it warm up and going through the gears.

Looks pink, or very slightly discolored towards tan on the paper towel. This would indicate the fluid is fine, but a drain and fill wouldn't brick the thing, right? Didn't smell like burnt coffee or anything...

If changing the fluid somehow destroys the transmission, what's the going rate for replacing the transmission with another automatic or a manual?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You'll be fine, if it roasts it wasn't going to last anyway. I've done it dozens of times with only positive results, even brought 2 back from dead. <water related

Last edited:

razor541

Observer
You'll be fine, if it roasts it wasn't going to last anyway. I've done it dozens of times with only positive results, even brought 2 back from dead.

That's reassuring! With this rig pushing 208k, how much life would you think I could get out of this transmission? I understand there's not a lot to go off of, but maybe ballpark from your Monteros?

if its pink and dont stink, and your filter is good then just run it. your in great shape from the sound of it. the only thing that will wear out atf is heat.
pan gasket, filter screen clean and run it!

any black clutch material on your white paper towell when you check levels?

razor541

Observer
if its pink and dont stink, and your filter is good then just run it. your in great shape from the sound of it. the only thing that will wear out atf is heat.
pan gasket, filter screen clean and run it!

any black clutch material on your white paper towell when you check levels?

Well what made me wonder is I think what's in there is the wrong stuff, plus sometimes doesn't fully shift into fourth/not smooth shifting in stop & go.

Now that you mention it, there might have been some black stuff up near the top of the dipstick, didn't seem like it down near the fluid...

EDIT: in addition to the OD shifting weirdness, I'm also thinking I'll need to do some driving on the passes (maybe with a little uhaul trailer), and want to make sure the trans is good to go.

Last edited:

Toasty

My old 94 shifted really hard in and out of 4th if you used the OD button, is that what yours is doing?

razor541

Observer
My old 94 shifted really hard in and out of 4th if you used the OD button, is that what yours is doing?

No I don't use the OD button. Just sometimes it won't go into OD, so I'll be going 60 @ 3300rpm instead of 2100, so it's still in third. Normal road, not up a hill or anything that I'd expect to have it use third on.

Androvers

Observer
I had this problem of higher revs and not shifting, ended up being a spring if I remember correctly.

1994 Montero LS
1976 BMW 2002

razor541

Observer
Alright I did the fluid drain and filled with SPIII. Fluid didn't have any metal in it, just looked old.

I had this problem of higher revs and not shifting, ended up being a spring if I remember correctly.

Do you remember what spring it was?

Androvers

Observer
Alright I did the fluid drain and filled with SPIII. Fluid didn't have any metal in it, just looked old.

Do you remember what spring it was?
I do not, but remember hearing that it was a common issue with the transmission, this was repaired when my mother owned the car. I want to say the charge was around $400 to fox it if that helps. Someone on here might have more knowledge than I do about this. I do remember driving with her though and the transmission would not shift until it reached higher revolutions, spring was replaced and then it was fine. Still is with 245k miles.

1994 Montero LS
1976 BMW 2002

Toasty

You can add a Transgo Shift kit in these transmissions as well, firms up the shift points a bit and the feel is more modern.

AND..... Read below

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior