What is your ideal adventure bicycle?

Godlykepower

I find this thread quite interesting. In the States, do you call an 'adventure bike' anything that can go off road???

Most people seem to be going on about aluminium frames & either front or full sus. In the UK we would not even begin to consider anything made from anything other than steel for a 'real' adventure bike. Suspension is a no-go too, as a 'real' adventure bike needs to be able to have room for a million heavy duty panniers.

Sorry if I come across as being funny, but I do find it interesting how we differ on what constitutes an expedition bike.

For what its worth, before commiting to drive across Africa in my Land Rover....for many years I was going to ride it. My tool of choice? A custom build from Thorn....probably the best expedition bikes in the world.

www.thorncycles.co.uk

Martin

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Godlykepower said:
I find this thread quite interesting. In the States, do you call an 'adventure bike' anything that can go off road???

Most people seem to be going on about aluminium frames & either front or full sus. In the UK we would not even begin to consider anything made from anything other than steel for a 'real' adventure bike. Suspension is a no-go too, as a 'real' adventure bike needs to be able to have room for a million heavy duty panniers.

Sorry if I come across as being funny, but I do find it interesting how we differ on what constitutes an expedition bike.

For what its worth, before commiting to drive across Africa in my Land Rover....for many years I was going to ride it. My tool of choice? A custom build from Thorn....probably the best expedition bikes in the world.

www.thorncycles.co.uk

Martin
This is why this thread is so interesting. Since the early days of bicycle touring, the typical set up has been a steel frame decorated with 75 pounds of panniers. Here in the US we're seeing more variations on the bike as well as what falls under the header "bicycle touring."

A loaded traditional touring bike is a thing of beauty as long as you don't mind sticking to roads. For the growing number of riders wanting to tour off-road, a Thorn just won't do.

So, it depends what experience you're after. If you're after 100 days of open road the Thorn is the ticket. For 5-10 days of continuous singletrack then the options open up.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Flounder said:
A loaded traditional touring bike is a thing of beauty as long as you don't mind sticking to roads. For the growing number of riders wanting to tour off-road, a Thorn just won't do.
I dunno, I think the Thorn Exxp might be a fine singletrack tourer. But it really does depend on the intended trail. Some day I will get the time to ride the whole Colorado Trail at once and it'll be on the same bike that I ride sections with right now, the Blur. I really do honestly believe that the right bike is the one you are comfortable with, just like trucks. The right overland vehicle is the one that can get you out of the house.

Godlykepower

I like that. Anything that gets you out the house.

I have spoken to the guys at Thorn a number of times actually, and they say that a lot of their designs were born out of African expeditions. Notably the ExP, which went on to become the ExxP, and the Sherpa models.
Granted, African roads are NOT mountain tracks etc. but they are certainly not smooth tarmac either.

If I were still doing LDN - CT on a bike, it would probably be the Sherpa.

Also, as a bit of a traditionalist, I still am yet to be convinced on the benefits of Rohloff hubs.
As an ex-Pro road rider in South Africa years ago, I just think that you cant beat a beautifully set-up rear derailleur. I find the sound soothing, and love the organic, mechanical sort of feel (if that makes sense?) that a gear change from XTR or Dura Ace gives.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
I dunno, I think the Thorn Exxp might be a fine singletrack tourer. But it really does depend on the intended trail. Some day I will get the time to ride the whole Colorado Trail at once and it'll be on the same bike that I ride sections with right now, the Blur. I really do honestly believe that the right bike is the one you are comfortable with, just like trucks. The right overland vehicle is the one that can get you out of the house.
I forgot about the Thorn Exxp. I was thinking more along the lines of the more traditional Thorn touring rigs. I agree with you that any bike paired with the right rider and route can be the ideal set up.

This was a baited thread. I knew going in the perfect touring bike was going to be varied and no longer the standard Trek 520, Cannondale T2000, Bruce Gordon or Thorn. Having been around the bike biz a long time, I think this new breed of touring options is pretty cool. Who would have thought that a carbon fiber Orbea mountain bike would be considered a "touring" bike?!?! RiverFever is out shredding that set up right now!

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Flounder said:
Who would have thought that a carbon fiber Orbea mountain bike would be considered a "touring" bike?!?! RiverFever is out shredding that set up right now!
I dunno if what Chris is doing is touring, rather insanity. ;-)

I'll let him chime with the update, but my birdie tells me his race didn't go really well. It sounds like it was out of his control, so it was hard to predict. Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. He was not hurt in a wreck or anything, so nothing dangerous.

BTW, Ethan Passant finished in 5 days, 2 hours and 26 minutes. That's a CTR record.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Flounder said:
This is why this thread is so interesting. Since the early days of bicycle touring, the typical set up has been a steel frame decorated with 75 pounds of panniers. Here in the US we're seeing more variations on the bike as well as what falls under the header "bicycle touring."

So, it depends what experience you're after. If you're after 100 days of open road the Thorn is the ticket. For 5-10 days of continuous singletrack then the options open up.

Agreed there too... I think with the weight of camping gear (I have a 20 degree bag that weighs maybe a lb and compresses to 8" long) and 2-3 guys you can haul some pretty good stuff... (1 food, 1 tent, etc etc)...

My Lenz came in yesterday, work of beauty. Other than the noise from the Hope hubs I think it'd a pretty good one IMO...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16109&highlight=lenz

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
dieselcruiserhead said:
My Lenz came in yesterday, work of beauty. ]
I'd like to offer my professional services to you, Andrea. I'm a professional bike breaker-inner. I'll even waive my fee and break your bike in free of charge. How does a couple months sound?

:bike_rider:

Twenty-niner

When they unveiled the completed Great Divide MBR about 10 years ago- which for many was our introduction to the idea of off-road touring- a couple fellow bike shop wrenches and I planned a trip that never happend (but will in the next 2 years, by gawd!). As bike shop employees are want to do, we sat around for hours getting paid to scour the GDMBR guidebook and debate the ideal rig for it.

What I find most interesting is that 10 years ago the debate was, "Racks and panniers or a B.O.B. trailer?" Then along come all these badasses (as usual, the racers primarily) who pushed the envelope of what is possible out there. I know the after-hours discomfort of carrying only 20 lbs of gear and food isn't something that everyone finds appealing, but for those who can deal with- or even enjoy- that spartan mode of travel, it opens up all new possibilities. Like being able to escape from your wife and kids for a quick 3-day weekend and cover 120 miles of choice singletrack on a rig that handles pretty much the way your bike rides unladen on the typical Tuesday morning ride before work.

Even the most domesticated and subjugated among us can eek out a 3-day weekend from wives and work, do nothing but ride for 3 days straight... and voila! Instant adventurer! :088:

Not everyone can afford to get away on 6-week excursions on the other side of the planet. For those of us who can't, I believe we can perfect the art of Weekend Warriordom.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Twenty-niner said:
Even the most domesticated and subjugated among us can eek out a 3-day weekend from wives and work, do nothing but ride for 3 days straight... and voila! Instant adventurer! :088:

You make it sound so easy. :xxrotflma

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry I've missed this thread!

For me the term adventure bike suggests one capable of long-distance self-supported touring on bad roads. The Thorn Nomad will certainly fill that bill, as will a Surly or Koga Miyata or any number of custom designs.

I deliberately eschewed suspension for strength's sake, although since I bought my frame several heavy duty touring designs have been introduced with suspension forks. Still happy with my choice. A proper steel frame and fork with good tires should offer a lot of shock absorption on its own, I think.

I'm not totally ignoring "modern" mods, however: I'd really like to install a Jones H-Bar.

I recently drove a road down the west side of the Rift Valley in Kenya that would make a killer ride on a bicycle, and frankly a full-suspension bike would really make it exciting.

Chris

Adventurer
The Mountain bike Montague Paratrooper.

Darpa Development:

Montague Corporation, the world leader in full-size performance mountain bikes that fold, developed the ParatrooperT Mountain Bike in conjunction with the Defence advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to bridge an important gap between walking infantry and heavy military vehicles like Hummers or other army trucks. Montague Corporation is the pioneer of the Folding Integrated Technology (FIT), deemed to be one of the next-generation trends in the bicycle industry. DARPA, the Pentagon-based agency, known for it's foresight and investment in significant world changing projects (including funding the development of the Internet back in the 70's) recognized the importance of this folding technology for military use and so funded the development of a bicycle that could be used by US Marines, Paratroopers, Military Police, Rangers, Police and other Military divisions

Now available

To date, the military mountain bike has not been available outside of the DARPA development circle. Now, due to an overwhelming demand from hunters, smoke-jumpers, parachutists, and many other guys like Land Rover Enthusiasts that enjoy getting off-the-beaten-track, Montague has decided to manufacture the original Military Bike in the form of the "ParatrooperT" mountain bike for civilian use. This bike is now available in the Landroverweb.com Adventure Shop!

or check out the Swiss version "Swissbike" they both pack in a flight case approx 28x36x13.

:roost:

Attachments

• mountainbike-montague-paratrooper-land2.jpg
    mountainbike-montague-paratrooper-land2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 54
  • mountain-bike-montague-paratrooper-fold-2.jpg
    mountain-bike-montague-paratrooper-fold-2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 57
  • paratrooper-mountain-bike.jpg
    paratrooper-mountain-bike.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 52
  • montague-paratrooper-milita.gif