What is your ideal adventure bicycle?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm curious what everyone sees as their ideal image of a bicycle fit for adventuring. Keep in mind, that might mean crossing a hemisphere or just taking in a long weekend. What is YOUR ideal bicycle for YOUR adventures? I'm not talking regular riding, I'm talking back to back days of riding, self supported.

For me, I'm not averse to loaded touring, but having done it for several thousands of miles, I tend to lean towards something more snappy and fun. My ideal adventure bicycle is a single speed 29er mountain bike or something equally simple mounted with ultra-ultra light gear. Total bike package with gear under 40 pounds. Max duration in the field? Maybe 5 days of ripping singletrack.

So what is your ideal rig? Fully loaded touring beast? Folding bike with a credit card, plane ticket and courier bag? The bike in your garage?

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Hmmm, Kokopelli (with SAG) on my Blur. Kenosha to Breck and back overnight on my Blur. Hoping to get in Nederland to Fraser and back on my Blur. Not long before leaving St. Louis, did St. Charles to Rocheport and back on the Katy Trail on my Zaskar. I suppose my ideal bike is the one I have right now, but then again my touring has been very limited.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
My ideal adventure bike would be a 29er full suspension. geared.
I look at it as the bike that could cover the most miles for my body! :wings:

I'm used to wearing weight so I would take my 3-day blackhawk pack on my back with some saddle bags.

Travel as light as possible.
a sleeping bag, no tent, just a tarp for rain, spares and tools, some clothes than can keep me warm if needed, a pair of keens and thats it besides food and a flashlight.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
loaded Q based on what your ultimate adventure is,,, i'm kinda with you flounder. i dont have a yearning to pedal accross the globe on unimproved roads or endless miles of pavement, about the longest i'm interested in is a few days and nights out on bike. so out of all 7 bikes in the garage my san andreas is still the favorite. over the years i have finally got it to a point where its a pretty much do anything bike sans miles of pavement.

Last edited:

SOAZ

I'd take this sucker for an adventure. I'm going to ride it in the morning. I can't wait.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
RHINO said:
loaded Q based on what your ultimate adventure is,,, i'm kinda with you flounder. i dont have a yearning to pedal accross the globe on unimproved roads or endless miles of pavement,.
I hear you. If I were into ultra long distance touring, I'd get a Koga Miyata since they're kind of the touring bike of touring bikes. If not by design, by resume.

Personally, I'm into light weight escapes. Two to 5 days away on mostly singletrack. I'm in the process of building my version of the ultimate day to day rider that doubles as the best ultra light touring rig. Fun stuff.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So Flounder, when you're thinking about a Miyata, you're thinking Randonneur, right? Pretty cool that we're starting to get Koga-Miyata bikes, really a classic brand when you think about tourers.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
talkin about classics, i almost bought an old 80's all original mint condition made in japan fuji road bike last week. while i was standing there i asked the guy if he took it off any sweet jumps.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If I bought a Koga-Miyata today, I'd feel compelled to order a set of Old Man Mountain racks, and full Ortlieb or Vaude pannier set. Then I'd have to quit my job, because a Koga was born to cover some huge miles....like crossing a continent or two. That said, it sounds like Jonathan's Thorne is certainly up to the task.

I dig the idea of fully loaded touring and would do it if I had time to ride the Silk Road or something. However, I'm a regular working stiff with a multitude of 3 day weekends. I plan to use my ultra light ambitions to carve out some high thrill miles with a few long naps in between.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
SOAZ said:
I'd take this sucker for an adventure. I'm going to ride it in the morning. I can't wait.
Wowie wow wow. That looks sweet.

I'm going to continue to tease you with Prescott riding, Tim. It rained a plenty today. Tomorrow at 630am there will be 7 of us on the same moist hard pack singletrack. Tomorrow is going to be silly fast!!!

SOAZ

Flounder said:
Wowie wow wow. That looks sweet.

I'm going to continue to tease you with Prescott riding, Tim. It rained a plenty today. Tomorrow at 630am there will be 7 of us on the same moist hard pack singletrack. Tomorrow is going to be silly fast!!!

Thats just cruel! I blew out a tire riding yesterday in the 105 degree heat and had to rig it to get home... and the worst part, IT FELT COOL!!!! Its all relative I guess. :oops:

Its amazing what I've gotten used to in this town. I sure would like to ride some DIRT though!! All of these sharp rocks and sand don't have much grip!!

I'm looking to head up for at least the day on one of the upcoming weekends. You gotta show me some trails! :)

efuentes

Explorer
adrenaline503 said:
My Surly Long Haul Trucker. K.I.S.S.

X2 on the Surly LHT, or if money is no object a custom made Surly LTH like geometry by somebody like Mr. Nicol of Ibis fame or better yet by Mr. Gilmour in Tucson.

Steel is real...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
efuentes said:
X2 on the Surly LHT, or if money is no object a custom made Surly LTH like geometry by somebody like Mr. Nicol of Ibis fame or better yet by Mr. Gilmour in Tucson.

Steel is real...
efuentes - do your bicycle adventures primarily include pavement and some gravel? Bang for the buck it really is tough to beat a Surly, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior