New Guy - New Build - Another Ambulance

Flat_Ernie

Observer
Got the hitch on and basic flat-4 wiring done.

IMG_20161116_121958.jpg

IMG_20161117_114855.jpg

dakota123

Adventurer
Digging it so far! Yeah yours definitely looks smaller must be the height of mine making it look bigger haha

EMT-Laura

New to the group. I've got a 1984 M1010. I'd love to compare notes on conversion. Pretty much gutted the box, added sofa/bed, cabinet with file drawers for storage, a narrow closet and shelves, drop down table, indoor/outdoor carpet. My spare is underneath and no room for a hitch because of pull out steps in the rear.

patoz

Expedition Leader
New to the group. I've got a 1984 M1010. I'd love to compare notes on conversion. Pretty much gutted the box, added sofa/bed, cabinet with file drawers for storage, a narrow closet and shelves, drop down table, indoor/outdoor carpet. My spare is underneath and no room for a hitch because of pull out steps in the rear.

Welcome to the group Laura, and I see you are an EMT also!

Just remember though, with the right amount of money and a cutting/welding rig, anything is possible! :agree:

Flat_Ernie

Observer
Update

So, I've done some work the last couple months. This is all just in the rough-in stage, mind you...still lots of finish work to be done yet. I was going to have to press this into service and travel cross country, hence the rapid and rougher fab than I would normally do, but plans have changed again, so I can slow down a little...

My first project was cutting in a side door. More than that, I wanted to gain some much-needed head room and have the entry way double as a shower (eventually - for now, it's just a door). So, I cut down into the overhang and then lowered the floor a tiny bit more and now have a little over 6' of height in the entry (I'm 5'9", so this is plenty - including a showerhead in the future!).

Began by framing the opening

Next up was the technically simple, but emotionally difficult task of whacking a hole in the side...

I ended up using a pivot hinge, but will likely change this to more normal barrel hinges as I lose some opening with these.

Door framed out and clamped to hinges

Had a brand new camper latch assembly that got used.

The footwell / shower basin...

Skinned with left-over interior siding...drain to be added later

Next up, basic fridge work

Picked up a nice Norcold 3-way - older so it's all manual switching and it works great!

Next was a battery tray between the side door and rear wheels

It's set up for 2 x 6V golf cart batteries - eventually I'll likely step up to Trojans or similar, but for now while I'm sorting out the system and learning what I want/need, I'm using these from Rural King - 208AH and $70 - hard to beat.

After that, I decided on a 5K BTU window AC unit - it'll share some venting with fridge.

Again, used spare interior siding as the exterior duct work

I also cut in the Marinco stainless shore power exterior connector - it's not hooked up yet - waiting on my 3+off rotary switch

Then I moved on to a semi-temporary generator mount. I intend to cut the generator into the right rear overhang, but was running out of time and needed to get it mounted in a useable way, rather than a perfect way. I had a pivoting hitch coupler, added a hitch-mounted vice mount and some steel and came up with a lockable, but swing-away hitch mount system so I can open the doors.

I opted for the 3000W powerhorse sold by Northern Tools - supposed to have slightly more surge capacity than the Honda, every bit as quiet, and $800+ cheaper. For what I'm doing, it should work great.

Last thing I did was a propane tank mount. Nothing holds a 20lb bottle better than a milk crate and I happened to have an old-school all-metal one. It's not the prettiest, but it's sturdy and works well.

That's it for now - next priorities are getting the AC/Fridge duct work finished up and sealed properly and moving on to the basic house electric system while building the cabinetry for the sink, cook top, and storage....

goatherder

no trepidation
FWIW - I once had a Chevy van w/ a 6.2 diesel. Van was really nice...but I got it cheap because it was a 6.2 diesel. As far as engines go, 6.2 is a POS. After doing some research, I discovered that 6.2 shares the same external dimensions as a big block chevy gas engine. So I obtained a 454, rebuilt it and installed it in place of the 6.2. Bolts in like it was meant to be there. Trans bolted right up too and had no electronic controls to monkey with as it had been behind the non-electronic diesel engine.

Made that van into a GREAT rig. Daily driver for 7 years, until some nice Asian MILF t-boned it with her minivan...

Taller tires would go a ways toward solving your highway gearing. Maybe even lift it a bit and get 255/85's under it.

Outback

Explorer
The 6.2 is far from a POS diesel engine. I see many of them with 300,000 plus mies on them. They were made for fuel economy not dragsters.

patoz

Expedition Leader
No problem, that's the way I felt when I found out about that extension!

Photobucket will probably find a way to block it too eventually, but we might as well make use of it until then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles