New Guy - New Build - Another Ambulance

Flat_Ernie

Observer
Hi all - picked up a project and found this place while researching.

The canvas:

I recently scored an ex-Navy 1990 Chevy K3500-based ambulance with less than 4,200 (yes, 4,200 - not missing any zeros) miles on it. It's got a 6.2, TH400, & 4.56 gears in it. Now, when I say 'ambulance', it's more of a patient transport - it has two benches and provisions for two upper-bunk style litters and apart from the rear A/C & heat unit, only had a suction pump and an oxygen bottle carrier apart from some IV bag holders. Pretty sparse and the only outside box contains the spare. It's a relatively small box at 80" wide, 112" long, and 61" tall with intake and exhaust fans on the roof. Everything works, including the red bubble-gum beacon. The only things they removed were the siren and radio.

IMG_20160904_122412.jpg

Rear%20Box.png

Work so far:

I've removed all the littler mounting hardware, vacuum pump, IV bag holders, oxygen bottle carrier, and the left side bench. Not much more progress so far, and I don't have most of my tools out here for work, but should head home next month and get more done.

IMG_20161007_180521063.jpg

Plans:

I plan to put a fresh & gray water system in, a propane system for hot water and a 2-burner cooktop, shower, camping toilet, generator, AC and a bed/couch along with as much storage as I can cram in. The left side will get most of that, with the right bench getting massaged and a sliding bed/couch setup. I also plan to put a side-entry door. I'm looking at a solar set-up to run the box off-grid for a few days at a time as well.

I'd like to get some sort of overdrive setup so I can cruise a little better than 50-55 on the highway. I'm looking at a gear vendors OD setup. I'd love to do a 4L80E conversion, but it's a lot of work for me where i'm at right now...and I'm on a little bit of a budget. Anything I might not have thought of?

In the very distant future, once I have everything else set up, I might be interested in a turbo system to get a little more oomph out of the 6.2...or maybe a 6.5 swap?

Immediate work:

I need new tires - while these are basically new, with very few miles on them, they were replaced in '06 and have some weather cracking. Aashame because the tread is unused and even the little rubber nibs are still on the sidewalls. I'm going to plus up to 235/85R16 from the stock 215s, but that's as large as I'm going for now. I do intend to keep the dually rear set up as I don't anticipate any real serious off-road activity - just some mountain gravel stuff and maybe a bit of snow.

I also need a hitch, but the box and rear bumper are making that more challenging than it needs to be, but I'll get it done soon.

Anyway, that's enough for now...I look forward to continuing to learn a lot on here.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
In your case less is more. You're already ready to start building and you've hardly broken a sweat... ;)

Looks like a very good starting point.

dar395

Adventurer
******** I hope ya didn't beat me out of a fine Gov surplus item as this, that is a sweet find! Myself I live for the surplus vehicles and have no fear of them as I've been doing it for years. I have had them with little miles on them and I can always drive and get my money back!, but yours is truly a piece of art waiting for your hands to apply the touches to complete her into a road trip to take you places no one has ever been. As I'm out loading my van for yet another outing I'll dream of your find. Sweet score!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Is it 4x4? I'm thinking no since the front tires look larger than the rear.

Since it it's a truck frame, a conversion shouldn't be that hard if you wanted to.

Flat_Ernie

Observer
Is it 4x4? I'm thinking no since the front tires look larger than the rear.

Since it it's a truck frame, a conversion shouldn't be that hard if you wanted to.
It is indeed 4x4 - I think the front/rear is just the perspective of the picture...they're identical sizes. For the Chevy/GMC trucks K1500/2500/3500 = 4WD and C1500/2500/3500 = 2WD.

It's technically a cab & chassis frame...which I understand is slightly different than the regular 1Ton pickup frame...but I'm not familiar enough to tell you what's different...

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Me neither.

Cool rig to start with. I'd keep the stretcher hangers from the ceiling for extra space... mine has one for a third stretcher from the ceiling.

rlrenz

Explorer
I've driven those in the past. Decent to work with, but kind of driver-unfriendly - though that may have been because the seat was definitely dead. Some decent bucket seats in place of the bench seat would definitely help. Ours were all 4x4.

The biggest challenge we ran into was from the oddball electrical setup that combined a 12 & 24 volt electrical system, but other than that, they held up well.

Flat_Ernie

Observer
I've driven those in the past. Decent to work with, but kind of driver-unfriendly - though that may have been because the seat was definitely dead. Some decent bucket seats in place of the bench seat would definitely help. Ours were all 4x4.
Got what appear to be standard GM buckets up front - only benches are/were in the back for the stretcher.

The biggest challenge we ran into was from the oddball electrical setup that combined a 12 & 24 volt electrical system, but other than that, they held up well.
No 24V on this rig at all. It's pretty basic.

But I am curious what PTO will fit my BW1370 transfer case...no real need for anything just yet, but always mental-engineering... ;)

rlrenz

Explorer
We had a couple of the M1010 ambulances, and I'm sure (that was a LONG time ago, though) they had a bench seat and a 24 volt system, but we were US Army Reserve. The ambulances had gone to Desert Storm, and returned to the USA, so they were still painted desert sand.

The USN may have had their own variants with changes from the Army versions.

Flat_Ernie

Observer
The USN may have had their own variants with changes from the Army versions.

I'm certain this was a Navy-specific build. I've only seen 2 others online. This isn't a 1010 either, just a K3500 Cab & Chassis with a box bolted on and a cutaway cab. It's got a pass-through, so no way for a bench.

patoz

Expedition Leader
What you have there is called a 'Field Ambulance', and basically it's a BLS load-n-go type vehicle.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The down side to so low miles is that many seals dry out and parts rust from lack of use... there are worse problems to have.

Flat_Ernie

Observer
The down side to so low miles is that many seals dry out and parts rust from lack of use... there are worse problems to have.

True - but with this being an emergency vehicle, it would have been started daily, everything checked out and serviced based on time, not just miles. That's the only bright spot - however, the Co Sheriff's dept had it for a couple years and I suspect it didn't fare as well based on the front rotors being rusted.

I've just replaced all the front brakes and hoses, along with the serpentine belt, oil, and filters. Also just put new tires on it. I'm in the process of fabricating a a hitch for it which required removal of the rear bumper (at least for now).

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Making Progress. A trailer hitch is something I'd like to have, just don't have a need for it at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94