My fg84 Build, ironing out issues & new questions.

moose2367

Ahh, righto. That puts that one out then. Do you know if there is another dual range transfer that fits, or could be modified to fit? Not for me, i have no interest in one, just for the OP.

As i said before, it's easy to fool the ecm if a speed sensor is added before the transfer case, i had to do it with my oka

drol87

Ahh, righto. That puts that one out then. Do you know if there is another dual range transfer that fits, or could be modified to fit? Not for me, i have no interest in one, just for the OP.

As i said before, it's easy to fool the ecm if a speed sensor is added before the transfer case, i had to do it with my oka

This was my initial thinking, I was wondering if custom shafts/adapters could be made to bolt up another reduction case, although my mechanical knowledge is limited and if someone had found another solution I would have thought it would be known to ATW. It's probably going to get put lower on my list of priorities for now to be honest if fuso is the only option.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Yes shafts/adapters would be able to be made to fit up some other transfer case but you will need to do it. Would the earlier gearbox fit up to that motor? It's all buildable if you want to go there.

Dan.

Amesz00

Adventurer
I believe it's the same motor used by iveco in the daily. In other words if you were really keen, the daily 4x4 box/splitter/Tcase should fit and give 24 gears and 20:1 or so reduction...

drol87

Do you mind me asking why you changed wheels? Just curious.

cheers Steve

Personal preference, we still have 2 trucks at our workshop running the ATW super singles, They are great wheels.

Basically for me, the load rating does not outweigh the comfort/size/aesthetic of the dynapro MT's, my cabinetry fit-out was built with ultra light ply, the same stuff we use in VW t5 campers and the focus is to keep it as light as possible.
My brother initially paved the way for my decision by buying a set, his truck can be seen in one of my pics, I then compared the 2 and my truck on the dynapros feels like it has completely different suspension, the heavy side wall of the toyo 19.5's is a harsher ride.
The dynapros feel like much more a 4wd tyre... because they are, and the toyo's feel like a truck tyre...

I also think dynapro MTS are just an awesome tyre in general, The footprint is massive on dynapro's aired down, even at road pressure you can see they have a bit of balloon to them, that's where the comfort/shock absorption comes into it.
My ATW/toyo's where in need of replacement from mining use and I just love the look and feel of the 17's and dynapro's.

Downsides to them? with the more "balloon" soft side wall, they drift a touch more on the road, not a huge issue for me, but also I am looking into changing some alignment settings to improve this as we have played with my brothers for a long time before I made the change.

Another downside that may affect some but did not me is balancing, My brother had trouble balancing them, they are a big tyre though so that comes with the territory, I however Did not have anyone even balance mine or put beads in, and they are perfect, I think his tyres could have been sitting in a shop for a while... while mine where just restocked.

Summary: Love the softer ride, Love the look, love the off road ability. While I know people wont agree and highly rate the ATW setups, The dynapro MT's and the ATW parabolics made an amazing combo for me.

drol87

May I ask what is the size of cab/camper passage? (Width x Height x depth - i.e from inside cab to cabin)

Also, if possible, would like to see close shots of cab/camper connections from inside/outside.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

The measurements and closer pics, I can get for you when im at the workshop next, (couple of days) unless whatcharterboat knows the measurements off the top of his head.

The crawl through was in place when I got the vehicle, so its an ATW installation, Great design, unclamps from the cab to allow cab to still tilt forward, and is like a thick rubber boot design to allow for the back fiberglass cab to flex/move independent to the cab.
With the stock seats you need to drop the passenger seat forward to crawl through, but if you upgraded to 2 stratos or single seats it would be allot more accessible, I have actually pushed my cabinetry over the crawl through a touch just because i was playing with very tight dimensions and insisted on fitting a 32" tv above.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The measurements and closer pics, I can get for you when im at the workshop next, (couple of days) unless whatcharterboat knows the measurements off the top of his head

Nah. Don't have that much ram in my head anymore.......... But I'm pretty sure the top edge of the pass through is about the same as the top of the OEM window or close to it.

Hey, how much T5 camper stuff have you done? I'm chasing a T4 (should be the same) front passenger swivel seat base at the moment. Please PM me if you'd rather.
Regards John

Bris31

Adventurer
The measurements and closer pics, I can get for you when im at the workshop next, (couple of days) unless whatcharterboat knows the measurements off the top of his head.

Thanks drol and John. I will wait for the measurements. But since you mentioned 32" TV above it, considering it is 16:9 ratio, I guess crawl though may be appx 900(W) x 500(H) mm.

NTSteve

Thanks Drol, yes these things are subjective. There are plus and minuses to both setups. Ive only run my toyo's on a light load on the blacktop so keen to explore their capabilites further.

Dare I ask, did you bother getting the new wheels re-engineered or not? Just curious as there appear to be lots of the 17" getting around but when I specifically asked the inventor/seller he said they did not have 'Blue Plate' approval for FG/NPS.

cheers steve

drol87

Thanks Drol, yes these things are subjective. There are plus and minuses to both setups. Ive only run my toyo's on a light load on the blacktop so keen to explore their capabilites further.

Dare I ask, did you bother getting the new wheels re-engineered or not? Just curious as there appear to be lots of the 17" getting around but when I specifically asked the inventor/seller he said they did not have 'Blue Plate' approval for FG/NPS.

cheers steve

Tried to, as I had to get a new plate from the engineer for change of seating, it was going to be no extra to change the wheel setup on the plate either, but the engineer said the same thing, Goanna tracks have done testing but have not done blue plate, This did piss me off to be honest, It cost me 3k to get 5 rims only shipped to WA and had assumed that they would have ADR approval ready to go for my engineer, I felt like the testing talked about on the website was misleading.

I am yet to contact them about this, because of the tight time between finish of my 1st stage of build and when i left for my trip, I had to just go ahead without changing tire specs on the plate, meaning I will have to pay again for a plate in the future.

unkamonkey

Explorer
As far as door sizes, make sure you can get something like your fridge out of it. I had to rebuild mine inside the Mitsu in the middle of the summer. Or I had to pull the entire door frame off to get it out. My generator, I have to pull off the door frame to get it out. Bad planning on somebodys part.

steve66

Observer
Thanks Drol, I was wondering if anything had changed since I asked him 2 years ago, obviously not, I know of at least 3 people who have bought his wheels and then had to buy a set from ATW to ensure they were legal, I know the wheels are technically safe but that's not good enough if you have a prang.

Cheers

Steve

steve66

Observer
Hi Monkey, I agonised over this for our design, our Fridge is a bottom mount 450lt LG inverter domestic unit, no way it's coming out without a fight, so I have made provision for access to all of the bits that make it work.

If you see me in 10yrs with a huge new side window you know I also have a new fridge :sombrero:

Cheers Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne