Tom's 2011 Xterra Pro-4X: general utility and midwest adventure

TFin04

Adventurer
Having an infant at home means lots of late night wrenching when she is asleep.

P&P sliders on. Went well but one of the sleeves is a bit too long which doesn't allow the mounting plate to fully seat against the frame . I read one other guy had a similar issue and grinding the sleeve fixed it. Will try that soon. The other side seems very solid.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/tfineis/8HDzgv

TFin04

Adventurer
Redid my previous unistrut cross bars to be a bit longer. This allows me to mount an awning on the outside of the factory rails on one side, and I'll be mounting my hilift outside the rails on the other side. The center of the roof rack will be getting covered with scrap treated deck boards to give me a flat surface for carrying beach chairs, luggage, etc. I'm trying to keep the roof weight as light as I can but I don't have anywhere else to put the hilift for now.

Got the ARB awning on today:

34047882444_52f932c48f_c.jpg

TFin04

Adventurer
Got to dip a paddle for the first time this year. My crude canoe rack (treated 2x4 with blocks attached to drop between factory rails) works very well and was scrap so zero cost. I may paint them black or gray to match the truck better but they work great. After a few times now I can load or unload the canoe in about 10 minutes by myself. Would be even faster with nylon straps but I like the old school rope and trucker's hitch.

34942144396_8483547b41_c.jpg

34849633111_c6459287d7_c.jpg

TFin04

Adventurer
Got up to the Traverse City area of of Michigan this weekend for a family trip. Brought the Xterra mostly to try it out on some trails in its current configuration. I'm getting some creeks and pops from the suspension that I believe to be worn bushings and ball joints but I will dive into them later. Overall the truck ran great in the sand, hills, and tight 2 tracks.

Four adults and their food/clothing/gear for a long weekend required that I load the roof and rear rack. Ended up working quite well for highway travel.

34260910254_c84304e6a6_z.jpg

Some roads were wide open fire roads, some were tight two tracks. I definitely came home with some pinstripes. No pics from the tight stuff, couldn't open the doors. ;)

34260918234_aa0a5492d3_z.jpg

34260916384_52459f8c50_z.jpg

Really liking the grip in the ST Maxx tires. If I had to be honest something a little less aggressive like an AT3 would probably suit me better, but I liked the extra grip and durability of the ST Maxx. They are getting a bit louder as they wear, but still totally bearable for long hours at highway speeds.

35104898435_6abe78f161_z.jpg

TFin04

Adventurer
The awning is great. No wind noise or rattles noticed while driving, and near instant shade is great, especially with a young one at home. I timed myself can set it up in under 3 minutes at an easy pace. Roll up is a few seconds faster. Totally worth it even for a short pit stop at a rest area to scarf a sandwich and hit the road again.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Love the Traverse City area, have siblings that live in the area and hope to become a resident eventually. Looks like a great trip, Leelanau Cellars has free wine tastings and Pyramid Point is a fantastic view.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Love the Traverse City area, have siblings that live in the area and hope to become a resident eventually. Looks like a great trip, Leelanau Cellars has free wine tastings and Pyramid Point is a fantastic view.

At this rate, you're already an honorary Michigander :D

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
At this rate, you're already an honorary Michigander :D

I wish man, while you were up in Traverse last weekend my wife and I drove to our cottage in the UP, got there at 230am friday morning and crashed in the back of the Rubicon before launching a boat to head out the next morning. Some day we'll make the trip for a final time.

TFin04

Adventurer
Bumper on. Need to adjust some of the plastic trim of the factory bumper and wire up the fogs and winch, but otherwise it was pretty straight forward.

35097462010_cfd3c93e66_c.jpg

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I originally didn't like the ARB bumper on the Xterras but it started to grow on me. Now that I have one I wouldn't have any other bumper on the market.

Manitoba X

Manitoba X
Hey looks good, I am looking at purchasing the same bumper up here an Canada along with a winch. Did you beef up your front suspension or did you stick with stock?

TFin04

Adventurer
Hey looks good, I am looking at purchasing the same bumper up here an Canada along with a winch. Did you beef up your front suspension or did you stick with stock?

Listed on the front page. OME HD springs and nitrocharger shocks all around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles