2017 F350 4x4 diesel

p nut

butter
You have to get the 4.30 with the 6.2L gasser. Anything less won't work out well. The diesel has options, the gasser needs that gear.

One of our fleet 6.2's just exploded. $8000. Lost a cyclinder, I don't have the facts yet. I may not ever. But word of warning, Ford only offers a 3yr, 60,000 mile warranty on the engine. We hit 60k in a year. That truck is also 2000# overloaded and driven hard. I'm not judging yet. Mine's been solid.

What's the outcome of the autopsy?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Still trying to get the facts. Dropped a cylinder. No idea if it's a holed piston or crushed valves.

Our diesels have been fine.

Dalko43

Explorer
I don't know where I heard this, but I recall a saying about the big 3's pickup's back in the day: "buy a Ram for it's engine, buy a Ford for it's chassis, buy a Chevy for it's transmission...and if someone could just combine the best aspects of all 3 trucks, we'd have a pretty solid platform."

Nowadays, all 3 HD pickup's seem to be getting pretty decent reviews, so I don't know if that saying applies anymore. From what I've heard of the new 2017 Ford F350's new platform, and the 6.7L Powerstroke (which appears to be a massive improvement over Ford's earlier diesels), it's got a lot going for it....I'm sure we'll see owner reviews on this forum sooner or later.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I might consider buying a F350 without a bed. All of the cab and chassis F350/F450/F550/F650/F750's are going to be built in Avon Ohio now.

I was just at the plant a week ago and saw the F650 and F750's being built. There were a few 550's sitting around, and I asked why? That's when I found out that eventually all of the work trucks will be built at Avon, and the regular F250's and 350's will continue to be built in Kentucky. It's just a matter of Fed-X'ing the parts to a different plant. Nothing is manufactured at either plant, just assembled.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dodge and GM still don't offer a truck with solid axles, manual hubs, aluminum bodies, and a manual transfer case. When they do, I'll look at them. But if I have to repair another electric or vacuum axle disco, I'm going to puke. And the rust belts ignorance to cover EVERYTHING with salt in the winter is self explanatory.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
You have to get the 4.30 with the 6.2L gasser. Anything less won't work out well. The diesel has options, the gasser needs that gear.

One of our fleet 6.2's just exploded. $8000. Lost a cyclinder, I don't have the facts yet. I may not ever. But word of warning, Ford only offers a 3yr, 60,000 mile warranty on the engine. We hit 60k in a year. That truck is also 2000# overloaded and driven hard. I'm not judging yet. Mine's been solid.

5 year 60,000 on all Ford power-train

Dalko43

Explorer
Dodge and GM still don't offer a truck with solid axles, manual hubs, aluminum bodies, and a manual transfer case. When they do, I'll look at them. But if I have to repair another electric or vacuum axle disco, I'm going to puke. And the rust belts ignorance to cover EVERYTHING with salt in the winter is self explanatory.

Dodge does offer solid axles and manual transfer case; the locking hubs are an optional upgrade for pre-2013 2500/3500's. As for aluminum bodies, up until recently, no one, including Ford, was offering that. I guess Dodge and GM have their fair share of inherent issues, but having to lift off the cab in order to fully access and work on the Ford's Powerstroke V8 seems to be a big complaint among HD truck owners. I guess every brand will have its tradeoff's.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Dodge does offer solid axles and manual transfer case; the locking hubs are an optional upgrade for pre-2013 2500/3500's. As for aluminum bodies, up until recently, no one, including Ford, was offering that. I guess Dodge and GM have their fair share of inherent issues, but having to lift off the cab in order to fully access and work on the Ford's Powerstroke V8 seems to be a big complaint among HD truck owners. I guess every brand will have its tradeoff's.

Our locals have to pull the cab to service Duramax's just as often as the Fords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53if27AkpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldjMIPKvLA

Removing the cab has become the industry norm. Deal with it. Here's an F150:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DvNk5ARRg

Apparently, after someones done a few of them, it's easy. Not as easy as a Merc, but easier than sending the truck to the body shop for paint I guess.

Still, no Al and no hubs on the dodges. I just can't deal with an interaxle disconnect. That was lame as heck on a 1994 Jeep, and it has no right existing on a $60,000 truck. At least the new Dodges FINALLY have decent longer trailing arms than the little sticks from the past. I'm anxiously waiting for Dodges response to the 2017/2018 Fords. Will be neat to see what they improve to catch up, or pass Ford. (I don't think GM even cares, they've been going in there own different direction for decades)

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Our locals have to pull the cab to service Duramax's just as often as the Fords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53if27AkpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldjMIPKvLA

Removing the cab has become the industry norm. Deal with it. Here's an F150:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DvNk5ARRg

Apparently, after someones done a few of them, it's easy. Not as easy as a Merc, but easier than sending the truck to the body shop for paint I guess.

Still, no Al and no hubs on the dodges. I just can't deal with an interaxle disconnect. That was lame as heck on a 1994 Jeep, and it has no right existing on a $60,000 truck. At least the new Dodges FINALLY have decent longer trailing arms than the little sticks from the past. I'm anxiously waiting for Dodges response to the 2017/2018 Fords. Will be neat to see what they improve to catch up, or pass Ford. (I don't think GM even cares, they've been going in there own different direction for decades)

Yeah, I'd always gotten the impression that Ford put a little bit more effort into chassis and suspension development than the other two. What's the old saying for Dodge? It's basically a Cummins wrapped in turd, or something to that affect? I've been in a few Ford pickup's; they definitely seemed to have a higher quality compared to other domestic brands. I've heard a lot of people profess their dislike for Ford Super Duty's due to issues with some of their earlier engines (6.0 Powerstroke). It doesn't seem like Ford is having many problems with the newer engines. To be fair, it seems like the Ram and Chevy have made improvements in the last few years, though I couldn't say how their platforms compares to Ford's in terms of quality.

As for lifting the cab to work on the engine, I don't think it's a good trend to set, even if it has become more commonplace with Ford or Chevy.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
My biggest complaint with the Cummins is they all come shipped in a Dodge. :). By all accounts so far the 6.7 is a solid platform, but...it still suffers from the same issue as past Fords in that when something does go wrong it can be 2nd mortgage inducing expensive to repair if you're out of warranty or denied warranty. Have the HPFP eat itself in the 6.7 and you're looking at a $15K repair at the Ford garage. Who wants to eat that?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
My biggest complaint with the Cummins is they all come shipped in a Dodge. :). By all accounts so far the 6.7 is a solid platform, but...it still suffers from the same issue as past Fords in that when something does go wrong it can be 2nd mortgage inducing expensive to repair if you're out of warranty or denied warranty. Have the HPFP eat itself in the 6.7 and you're looking at a $15K repair at the Ford garage. Who wants to eat that?

The new hpfp are improved with a special coating on the moving parts, supposed to hold up better. They also revised the water separator under the truck for 2017, it has a much higher capacity. These 2 things should solve the majority of problems

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
But all a tech has to do is say it's a bad pump. Then your f'd either way.

I don't understand why they can't just bolt the pump in the V of the engine or on the side like the old B-series. Pulling a Stanadyne fuel pump off of a B is 3 bolts and a steering wheel puller. No idea what the rebuild cost is, but I've never had a customer complain about my shops price for rebuilding pumps on B's and John Deeres. It's sad that Ford and GM don't see that a repair bill for a simple pump shouldn't be $15,000. That's not good business.

I have to start doing better research. After I buy a house and move, I don't think my trucks going to be a worthwhile investment in another year or 2. (body shop every year) Seems like the pump is a $1,000 part. Wonder where the rest of the $15000 is coming from.
http://usdieselparts.com/c-970647-f...6-7l-fuel-injection-pumps-2011-ford-6-7l.html

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
Because they want you to HAVE TO BRING IT BACK TO THE DEALER. They go to great lengths these days to ensure the owners can't do any work themselves.

silvrcummns

It's that much because they don't just replace the injection pump. If in the case of a no start or suspect contamination the volume control valve on top of the pump is removed and inspected. If metal, def or any debris is found then you need. Lift pump module, injection pump, injectors, driver side fuel rail, injector lines, injection pump lines, drop and clean fuel tank and clean out chassis lines.

Not trying to fuel a dealership hate rant, but it's a no joke situation if a pump goes belly up because it doesn't return or bipass directly to the fuel tank like old cp3's did. Duramaxes can suffer the same fate and it involves the same "replace all" procedure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94