Positional: Simple GPS App w/ Coords, Elevation, Speed, Bearing

Rando

Explorer
No prob! It was a dead simple app to write.

No ****? That's cool to hear! I definitely plan on making the display far more configurable than it is now. Stay tuned and thanks for the feedback!

Well, I bought it to run Gaia and PDF maps as well, but positional was part of it.

mtrewartha

Observer
Nice, glad to hear that!

I should have a new release out in a week or so that displays the following:

• Latitude & Longitude
  • Elevation
  • Bearing
  • Speed
  • Provider (GPS, cell, or WiFi)
  • # of satellites acquired (when provider is GPS)

These will be displayed in a new grid format that will work nicely in both landscape and portrait orientations. This release will also lay some internal foundation for grid tiles that can be moved around using drag & drop.

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
Thank you for creating this. I have been looking for a simple one step app for this exact information. Well done

mtrewartha

Observer
Here's a little teaser image of the new release. I'm playing with layouts and styling right now, but this feels pretty good. I might offer this as one of a few different selectable layouts... We'll see. Thoughts or opinions?

c9542f8c9c6cdc0d323de4e3167e252b.jpg

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Here's a little teaser image of the new release. I'm playing with layouts and styling right now, but this feels pretty good. I might offer this as one of a few different selectable layouts... We'll see. Thoughts or opinions?

c9542f8c9c6cdc0d323de4e3167e252b.jpg

Looks Good, but remember that sometimes Less is Best!!

mtrewartha

Observer
Agreed! I'm trying to strike the right balance between simplicity and functionality here... I chose all of these metrics because I think they're all highly related, relevant, and interesting. Six of them doesn't seem too overwhelming, either. That said, maybe it is. Two things I'd love some feedback on:

1. Do you have a case for fewer metrics?
  2. Do you like the design? Can you think of any visual improvements to things like color, arrangement, sizing, etc...?

ocean_explorer

comments on nav screen layout

I like the white on black color scheme, easy to read,
Consider droping the minus sign on the Longitude. It is implied when refering to the W(est) direction.
Accuracy - assume this is associated with the Lat/Long positon as opposed to the elevation?
Satellites - Interesting but not very useful unless one knows the relationship between accuracy and number of satellites used in the position calculation. Consider leaving it out.
Looks good and I have used it a couple of times to check/confirm location on a paper map. Have the app on the tablet I use for digital navigation. Easy to check position as opposed to finding mobile phone, turning it on, and going from there.
Keep up the good work.
Jim H

Stephen

I really like UTM coords. I just loaded it on my samsung tab A 7" and the coords would be way better stacked and way larger. Elevation is generally secondary to just having the coords. Like others have mentioned here, I tend to use paper maps and really just need something to pick up sats fast and tell me the coords. This could be IT with a couple tweaks. I use "gps status" on my phone for this now but it has a lot of non essential info and the coords are kind of small. Thanks!

Abe Froman

Adventurer
Thanks for making this, and making it free of charge and advertisements.
Im not much of an app or smartphone guy, but I have asked "what's our elevation" many, many times.
This seems perfectly simple as described.
I'll install it tomorrow.
Thanks again.

jschmidt

Adventurer
I've noticed that GPS elevations on serveral apps are questionable, including Positional. Is this just a problem with GPS, or worse at lower elecations?

Yesterday, I was showin off the App and was at a known 18ft. It showed minus 128. It was rainy and cloudy, if that's a factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles