Intech RV

gstrange

I may have missed a comment regarding couplers, so hear goes:
I was wondering if the 2" hitch can be removed from my In Tech Explore and a max coupler installed. I had a previous overland trailer with the max coupler and liked it a lot. Your thoughts appreciated.

dreadlocks

Should be doable, they just use standard couplers.. I checked and found a lock-n-roll coupler that would work on mine, but my tongue is a bit different than the lil intech's.

Zillon

I may have missed a comment regarding couplers, so hear goes:
I was wondering if the 2" hitch can be removed from my In Tech Explore and a max coupler installed. I had a previous overland trailer with the max coupler and liked it a lot. Your thoughts appreciated.

It can - I spoke with the Intech rep (Keith) directly today about this at the Hershey RV show. You can just unbolt the factory hitch mounting and replace it with whatever you want.

Very impressed with the Flyer Pursue, though. Couple small tweaks for the 2020s - 20 lb propane tank bracket with a reinforced structure behind the diamond plate for mounting on the curb side front corner, re-engineered rear receiver mounting, a new heavy duty pitched torsion axle instead of lift blocks for the lift, and they moved the connections (solar, coax, electric, etc.) from the front to the side. Plus the new roof rack from the Rover.

I'm currently working out pricing on a couple leftover 2019s, but I may just end up ordering a brand new 2020.

Zillon

I own a 2020 Pursue and there is no 20# propane mount curbside. It has adapters on the propane hose if you wish to use a 20# propane tank or 1# propane bottles, no rack. The new 2” receiver mount is suppose to be rated at 200# but Intech has now stated its only rated for 100#. Not sure about this....what’s up with this? A little bummed as this reeeally limits a “towable camper” bicycle rack.
We have the 45 degree down axle on our new Pursue which does add height to approach and departure angles. The solar, 30 amp plug and coax is still located on the front of the 2020 Pursue. The latest 2020 Pursue also has a new round tubular roof rack.

Front pic of our 2020 Pursue showing connections are still in front. The changes you mentioned could have been made after ours was produced. We added a steel tongue box after having it rhino lined and removed the OEM plastic tongue box.

Changes must have been made after yours was produced.

The one I saw today had the connections curbside above the battery hatch, and came with a 20 lb. tank holder in the cargo box - changes were confirmed with Keith.

The rear receiver revision started sometime on the 2019 production models. The leftover I’m looking at has the revision done and also the upgraded axle.

I would like to get clarification on the weight rating of the rear receiver though.

Zillon

My rack (Rockymounts Splitrail) weighs in right around 40 lbs, and each full-suspension mountain bike is around 25-30 lbs. I'll be right at the new "limit" with both bikes.

Having looked at the new setup, I'm not terribly worried.

dreadlocks

are you accounting for the force of leverage? as dave calculated earlier today

My 1UP is 46 lbs (Super Duty Single + one Add-On) with two bikes is about 135 lbs. I have it in a 7" extender so that handlebars on the inside tray clear my camper shell, which is probably another 10 lbs hunk of steel. But this isn't quite just tongue weight since it's along an arm so you have to figure the moment. My back of napkin shows with two 30 lbs bikes this 170 lbs tongue weight (e.g. shear force) gives a bending moment of 420 ft/lb at the receiver.

Then you account for the extra leverage your trailer has being a pivot, and how many pounds of force will all those bikes create when it comes crashing down after hitting an expansion joint at speed?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My rack (Rockymounts Splitrail) weighs in right around 40 lbs, and each full-suspension mountain bike is around 25-30 lbs. I'll be right at the new "limit" with both bikes.

Having looked at the new setup, I'm not terribly worried.
The cost of the bikes and having a enclosed cargo/camp trailer they go inside the trailer. LoL Thats exactly the big reason I want a enclosed trailer like the Intech. To secure my bikes and other junk outa sight and outa the road grime.

Zillon

are you accounting for the force of leverage? as dave calculated earlier today

Then you account for the extra leverage your trailer has being a pivot, and how many pounds of force will all those bikes create when it comes crashing down after hitting an expansion joint at speed?

I’d like to assume that the 100 lb limit accounts for the leverage forces, and likely why they lowered the weight limit.

43dbdb1aed6c7ddecc173ca40ae65627.jpg

Photo of the new receiver revision from earlier today. It’s labeled with a 200 lb warning.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I am the one who posted a calculation @dreadlocks refers but I am most certainly not the one to attempt explanation or analysis. Suffice to say Google for yourself shear and bending moments and consider, too, that any rating must be for the weakest spot.

The rating for those bolt-on receivers is based on being mounted like the manufacturer intends.

ba-100_17_1000_mid.jpg

What has been done may be an improvement or reduction, but either way the original rating doesn't really apply anymore since it's not bolted to a square tube like they intended. The new weak point could be the welds or the material, the designer and fabricator has to do that analysis.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Intech welds the plates and mounts these hitch receivers to the trailer frame while in production. Keith at Intech told me that the receiver on my trailer is rated for 200# after providing him my Vin #. He also said that Intech moving forward has lowered the weight rating to 100# because some owners were overloading the receiver.
My concern is the safety of this receiver as configured and liability should the receiver fail when traveling. If a receiver fails and bikes go bouncing down the interstate causing an accident happens with injuries or property damage...well now lawyers get involved. In my former 35 yr career as an LEO I have seen and investigated many accidents.
No expert here, just another view point.
And that 100 lbs is for a bike rack (or perhaps a cargo basket, that sort of thing) and not a trailer, right? You can only go by what the manufacturer rates it but I personally don't like a few things about that.
I dun have a FB login, can you post the image here directly?
This is apparently...

Before:
67306270_2801090133239350_5736715004686630912_n.jpg

After:
67222660_2801090519905978_1131176725137326080_n.jpg

Last edited:

dreadlocks

hrmm.. mebe I wont be mounting my genset to that.. even though the genset is less than 50lbs.. so far only thing Ive used it for is tying the dogs up to the shackle I put on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles