FG649 down on power, slow

CropDuster

Observer
Finally got a chance to check things further, have today fitted clear fuel lines and as expected there is air in the lines both feed and return.

I can see some wetness all around the lift pump area so I have cleaned it all up to try and determine where it is coming from.
In the mean time I have ordered a new lift pump primer as I have had problems with this one previously.

Any further suggestions or advice appreciated.

CropDuster

Observer
Talking to myself here but found the problem is the fuel pickup in the tank itself. Bypassed the pickup in the tank by putting a fuel line straight in to the tank via the filler neck and there are no air bubbles at all so now I have to find where the air is entering.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Fuel pickup is restricted somehow in the tank causing extra suction on the line and it will be sucking air in at one of the fittings in the line to the primer pump. Fix the pickup and just check all the other fittings are tight and you should be right. It then shouldn't be down on power from fuel starvation.

Dan.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Bypassed the pickup in the tank by putting a fuel line straight in to the tank via the filler neck and there are no air bubbles at all

Did you drive the truck when the fuel pickup had been bypassed? If so, was there any noticeable difference in power or performance?

CropDuster

Observer
Fuel pickup is restricted somehow in the tank causing extra suction on the line and it will be sucking air in at one of the fittings in the line to the primer pump. Fix the pickup and just check all the other fittings are tight and you should be right. It then shouldn't be down on power from fuel starvation.

Dan.
Thanks Dan, I will drain the tank again and have a look.
Did you drive the truck when the fuel pickup had been bypassed? If so, was there any noticeable difference in power or performance?
Not yet, I will do so today and we shall soon see. :)

CropDuster

Observer
There was no restriction or pickup issues and the tank is spotless inside. There must be a pinhole in the hard line somewhere??

With the pick up bypassed it runs much smoother but no noticeable performance has returned.

Just to add another problem the brand new genuine Bosch hand primer I fitted on the weekend blew the black plastic top off whilst driving home yesterday and spat fuel everywhere! Not sure what the go is there...

MJCake1

There was no restriction or pickup issues and the tank is spotless inside. There must be a pinhole in the hard line somewhere??

With the pick up bypassed it runs much smoother but no noticeable performance has returned.

Just to add another problem the brand new genuine Bosch hand primer I fitted on the weekend blew the black plastic top off whilst driving home yesterday and spat fuel everywhere! Not sure what the go is there...
What's the latest?

CropDuster

Observer
I haven't done anything further. The coolant temperature sensor is the next on the list as it goes great from cold and seems to get worse with heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles