I Have A GM Van, I'm Looking For More Off Road Capability

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I recently bought a 2010 Chevy Express to use as a weekend camper and motorcycle hauler. So far I have those bases covered but I'm now looking into adding a little more off road capability.

My intended use aside from trackdays with my motorcycle is to get out into the desert and roam around the deeper reaches of like Death Valley and Joshua Tree NP among others. I Would also like to hop around the Cleveland National Forest and some of those areas. Basically get a little off the beaten path, and if I want to go further I'll go by foot or on 2 wheels.

4x4 sure sounds cool but I'm really not sure if I need it. I think I just need something that can traverse nasty washboard so maybe just larger tires (33's), better shocks that won't explode, and a locker. Here's where I need your help.

I need to lift the suspension for the tires but I haven't been able to find a lift kit that I've liked. I'm not a fan of lifting blocks and that's all the van-specific kits seem to have for the rear end; I'd prefer lifting the rear with springs with a higher arch. Up front I would like to add a little more suspension travel like some of the wannabe baja trucks I see running around here. My hope is to find out what, if any parts are shared between the GM trucks and vans, and then buy better lift parts. Is this possible?

On a side note, I spoke with the guys from King Shock and they said custom stuff isn't out of reach cost-wise. So maybe I could get shocks from them that would soak up bouncy roads without killing the van. However I know I still have a lot of research to do.

Or...does someone know something about converting these to 4x4 that I haven't read yet? If there's any easier way I'd love to hear what you've done.

For the record, I'm not selling the van to buy one already converted. They can't be had within my budget.

By airing down your tires you will increase your off road capabilities by folds.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Website no workie today???

It's working fine today. You won't find that exact bumper on Weldtec's website. He builds pretty much all his bumpers custom.

I ordered mine and based it on the sema van with the addition of a "pre-runner" bar on the top and blocked on the sides with round holes for fog lights. I can't wait to see it!

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Chevrolet Express 5.5 lift kit

OK, where is that bumper from?
It looks awesome.

Thanks. Site was down as we are doing A few Security updates. We can custom build you a bumper or build one similar to the Sema bumper and we also have 2 new Plate style bumpers that will be done this summer. This is a little look at some of the suspension under @wantahertzdonut van.

SARguru

Observer
Thanks. Site was down as we are doing A few Security updates. We can custom build you a bumper or build one similar to the Sema bumper and we also have 2 new Plate style bumpers that will be done this summer. This is a little look at some of the suspension under @wantahertzdonut van.

Are the spindles in the 5.5 kit the same as the 3" spindles??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SARguru

Observer
Here's a couple photos of Jeremy's work

Before
nrtCRtr.jpg

As it sits right now
0JivQPA.jpg

VkCH0pA.jpg

I just came home with a 2007 15 passenger van, could you measure the height from ground to bottom of rocker panel as well as ground to roof rain gutter.

Curious how much taller there van will be if I go with the big lift like yours or if I just get the 3 inch Weldtek spindle

Nic

Ngneer

Observer
Please update, have interest n this as well for a future build. This could change things considerably. Thanks

I just came home with a 2007 15 passenger van, could you measure the height from ground to bottom of rocker panel as well as ground to roof rain gutter.

Curious how much taller there van will be if I go with the big lift like yours or if I just get the 3 inch Weldtek spindle

Nic

Height to rocker is 19 3/4 front and 21 in the rear. Roof height is about 85".

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
You're wise to carefully consider height... only thing more expensive than a good lift is having it redone when it's not what you wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne