I Have A GM Van, I'm Looking For More Off Road Capability

I recently bought a 2010 Chevy Express to use as a weekend camper and motorcycle hauler. So far I have those bases covered but I'm now looking into adding a little more off road capability.

My intended use aside from trackdays with my motorcycle is to get out into the desert and roam around the deeper reaches of like Death Valley and Joshua Tree NP among others. I Would also like to hop around the Cleveland National Forest and some of those areas. Basically get a little off the beaten path, and if I want to go further I'll go by foot or on 2 wheels.

4x4 sure sounds cool but I'm really not sure if I need it. I think I just need something that can traverse nasty washboard so maybe just larger tires (33's), better shocks that won't explode, and a locker. Here's where I need your help.

I need to lift the suspension for the tires but I haven't been able to find a lift kit that I've liked. I'm not a fan of lifting blocks and that's all the van-specific kits seem to have for the rear end; I'd prefer lifting the rear with springs with a higher arch. Up front I would like to add a little more suspension travel like some of the wannabe baja trucks I see running around here. My hope is to find out what, if any parts are shared between the GM trucks and vans, and then buy better lift parts. Is this possible?

On a side note, I spoke with the guys from King Shock and they said custom stuff isn't out of reach cost-wise. So maybe I could get shocks from them that would soak up bouncy roads without killing the van. However I know I still have a lot of research to do.

Or...does someone know something about converting these to 4x4 that I haven't read yet? If there's any easier way I'd love to hear what you've done.

For the record, I'm not selling the van to buy one already converted. They can't be had within my budget.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
As of now I think Boulder Offroad is the only one with 2wd drive van lifts, they do use lift blocks for the rear, but Spring companies like Atlas and Deaver have and will make lift springs for these vans.
Also Weldtec Designs is working on some long travel 2wd kits, I would contact them about availability, they should be able to set you up with some lift springs for the rear as well.

Jeremy from weldtec design to the courtesy phone please.

Look up weldtec, he's currently doing a rig for sema, but give him a call anyways, he's got some Chevy stuff in the works.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Chevy van Kits coming soon to a forum near you

Jeremy from weldtec design to the courtesy phone please.

Look up weldtec, he's currently doing a rig for sema, but give him a call anyways, he's got some Chevy stuff in the works.

Hello, and thank you for calling WeldTec Designs!....:wavey:

We are going to have you Chevy guys dialed in in no time! With 3 kits in the works currently that will be available for the 2 wheel drive vans. One of the kits is a coil-over conversion similar to the kit we just completed as our mid travel kit for the Quigley 4x4 which cycles 10+ wheel travel. Some of the parts can be seen in our Sema thread.

Details and prices are yet to be determined. But you Ford guys are going to be Jealous....

philos

Explorer
While you're here on the phone...
Anything for the Astro van?
My future self has an interest in the subject ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the pointers, heading to Weldtec's site now. And you're not far away!

Come on down this week and you can have a super sneak peak and see the badest Chevrolet 4x4 van ever! HEHE
Which remember started its life a 2 wheel drive, so all of the suspension will work on yours!

I wish I got a notice of your reply. This past week was crazy but my weekend was pretty open and today's rain halted my bike and motorcycle ride plans. Unless you're working in the shop today into the evening!

Here's a couple photos of Jeremy's work

Before
nrtCRtr.jpg

As it sits right now
0JivQPA.jpg

VkCH0pA.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I was going to do a whole writeup but I was having headaches getting pics to display and called it a night. Long story short since I'm on my phone:

New UCAs
Lift spindles with spherical bearings
Fox 2.0 shocks
New leaf springs to lift the rear
33" tires
New bumper
Detroit locker and gear change from 3.42 to 3.73

I'll get photos and more details later. There's more on there and more to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles