Back at 4x4, 313CDI 4x4 Sprinter

Hi guys,
i`m finally back at the 4x4 expo crowd. Had a lot of fun over the last years going on trips with my VW Transporter:

6iURxyF.jpg

2P8WjVZ.jpg

QfoIVwH.jpg

lN0odP9.jpg

Co9lwNp.jpg

Ok, enought of that. But i think you get the idea what the main purpose of the van will be.

So, i bought this last week:

27183082zv.jpg

27183087cg.jpg

Good thing is that i already got two aux heaters, one for the coolant and one for air, a rear locker, driver suspension seat, and lot`s more.

Bad thing is that it makes some really bad noises from the front differential. Will have to tear into that first.

Plans are to convert it to a nice rv with some extras for cold temperatures and skiing. Thinking about a heated floor and a boot/clothes drying cabinet. Right now i`m reading through all the threads here, gathering ideas. Any input would be greatly appreciatet.

Julian

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Nice van! Hydronic heated floors is a great upgrade for cold camping. Which transmission do you have?

Adding a fresh/outdoor air intake (blending door) for the aux heater will make drying clothes much easier.

Nice van! Hydronic heated floors is a great upgrade for cold camping.

What`s that? I thought about electric heating mats.

Which transmission do you have?

No idea, i think 5 gear manual.

Adding a fresh/outdoor air intake (blending door) for the aux heater will make drying clothes much easier.

Makes sens, but it will take a lot more energy to get the air warm. The aux heater struggled a bit when we were in Norway at -26°C.

Ah ok, but I don't know if I want to take the risk of a coolant leak in the living compartment. I think I'll go with a electric solution. Not to heat it only with this, but as a nice addition after skiing.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
From Stephen Stewart's site:

In October 2003, on my return from Iceland, I added under-floor heating to my Unimog campervan.

To do this I embedded about 12 metres of 10 mm copper pipe into a 9.5 mm deep routed groove in part of the 18 mm plywood floor.

The entire floor was then covered with a 2mm aluminium plate to spread the heat out evenly..

To ensure that water only circulated through the under-floor pipe when it was required I fitted a 24 volt solenoid water flow valve.

20031024-143453-xxx-ss.jpg

http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog/heating.htm

I need to think about that again. I could use the aux water heater to heat the floor that would require a lot less amperage than an electric solution.

Got it in the shop today and removed the front diff:

So, heute hab ich den Sprinter in die Werkstatt gebracht bekommen. Dann mal lustig zu zerlegen angefangen:

27338360en.jpg

27338380le.jpg

The whole mess:

27338395rz.jpg

Almost too big for the shop:

27338405ib.jpg

Took some measurements today:

27348597ka.jpg

Cut some stock:

27348608cp.jpg

And turned an axle dummy:

27348613ur.jpg

27348615mp.jpg

27348624kb.jpg

The whole mess:

27348630cy.jpg

Cut the key slot:

27348634xw.jpg

Finished:

27348637tb.jpg

Put the tranny crossmember back in:

27348643ky.jpg

Both axles:

27348647zw.jpg

And drove it home:

27348660yc.jpg

This is it`s resting space for now:

27348676xb.jpg

So now i have to tear into the front diff. Also have to replace the right wheel bearing and the left inner cv boot.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Nice work with those front stub axles. Having access to a fully equipped machine shop sure makes that kind of work easier doesn't it? :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles