tie rod ends and their modification

my rig is a gen1
im outfitting gen 11 beneath. the gen 1 body

i would love to hear others efforts to strengthen this area.

i am going to start with GMC. my dmax had massive after market tie
rod ends. if i can get them into the holes and make them work ....maybe?
see of the tapers are similar or close so i can use a bigger tie rod

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Mitsu uses a curved tie rod that makes an upgrade a challenge, for whatever reason our tie rods are much stronger than the Toyota and Isuzu units (maybe just the geometry is better?). For us the idler arm is the weak link, once it's bent is when you start breaking tierods and bending draglinks. Also you can break tierods if you cut or remove the bumpstops or do a balljoint flip/spacer, I make upgrade idler arm kingpins for the Gen 2 style and I have a couple Gen 1 idler arm cradles left (makes it a double shear) very strong and can hang with 37's.

i have the gen 2 idler now.on my gen 1
those kingpins i saw somewhere on here recently are what you are reffering to?
some outfit was selling them as an upgrade.

tie rods ; i wondered about the geometry thing, if a strait would fit, now i know thx

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I, for one, have never broken a tie rod on any Montero, including my Gen 1's on 33's and my Gen 2 on 35's, and I'm not gentle on them. Just putting that out there. Toasty and Adam make a great product, worthy of consideration: the weak link IS the idler arm.

John B.

I have broken dozens of tie rods. That being said a large majority were tied to a bent idler. But not all. Fix the Idler with the kit and carry a couple of spare tire rods and you should be set.

Toasty

I, for one, have never broken a tie rod on any Montero, including my Gen 1's on 33's and my Gen 2 on 35's, and I'm not gentle on them. Just putting that out there. Toasty and Adam make a great product, worthy of consideration: the weak link IS the idler arm.

John B.

Toasty and Adam are the same person. You mean Toasty and IncorporatedX make a great product :victory:

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
What do you expect from me at 10:47 p.m.?

Lloyd/ManfromaVanDownbytheRiver, I suspect that the broken tie rod of yours I saw a dozen years ago, the day your transmission also failed, was largely due to having the adjuster set way over toward one of the tie rod ends instead of being centered between them.

John B.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
I had a grave yard of tie rods. 2 things to never do to a montero.

1. Never cut / remove / modify bump stops EVER.

2. Never do a ball joint flip

As long as you follow these rules and keep a straight drag link and idler on board, tie rods should be fine. IT'S been years since I've broken any, but it has happened.

you carry a drag link on board??!!
i guess i dd see here someone cold hammering one straight.
u guy are tough.
i use the heck out of my rigs but never to the point where i have to carry suspension components...

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Better safe than sorry. Never know what could happen, especially when your giving it hell. I don't need these parts like I used to, but I have needed them in the past. Ive also learned my limits so I don't break as much **** as I used to. I also don't like spending valuable wheeling time in the garage fixing my disasters.

Toasty

you carry a drag link on board??!!
i guess i dd see here someone cold hammering one straight.
u guy are tough.
i use the heck out of my rigs but never to the point where i have to carry suspension components...

That was me hammering one straight, bent by a truck with 37's, a bent idler arm and running balljoint spacers on the Dusy (Thompson hill to be exact) <Pretty extreme conditions.

If you haven't needed things before you won't need them now, Montero's are probably tougher than anything their size or even larger for that matter. On the other hand if you have a vehicle that can take more abuse you may abuse it more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94