241OR rocktrac

gonna shed a bunch of my cummins stuff and buy one of these 241or with sum of the money i shake loose.
does anyone have/use this n their montee?

im guessing i will have to mod drivelines and i dunno how the linkage will work.

anyone with experience in this?

driveline mods while im in there?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
We've done a few, you'll need driveshafts, Jeep tailhousing (you want the late AW4), modified transmission mount, a speedometer interface and a pulse gear machined to fit the Montero snap ring groove or I hear you can grind the jeep tail housing to fit the Mitsu gear and you will need a shifter. The shifter can be linkage or cable, you can get anything from a salvage yard and make it work or buy a cool shifter online. An Atlas shifter works nice.

Let me know when you're ready for driveshafts, not sure how soon you plan to swap but I will be making some parts to make the job easier for you.

Toasty

Just read in your other thread that you have a Gen 1, things just got much simpler. 241OR, driveshafts, cable speedo conversion, mount, shifter and done.

Toasty

Yeah, if you've got big tires and wheel a lot of gnarly terrain. Otherwise a standard 241 with 2.72 low is a nice upgrade.

well, no not big tires and im too old and fragile to bang around in the rocks just for hell of it. but time comes sometimes the grunt is useful. sometimes we get into rock, but here its just very very steep, very tight path through dense brush and big tree, always muddy it seems
and the gen 1 has no torque as u know, so 4:1 sounded good.
i know that i will be doubling up my flatbed ranch truck here very soon for about 5:1 but its not a trail rig obviously.

Toasty

I really like the under driven Dana 20 setup, I built one for my friend's Gen 1 SWB and am building another for my '99 Montero. Really useful ratios.

that was a passenger jeep-drop right? or do i remember the 300.

my bad, the bronco ... and maybe half ton fords used them. kinda cool lighter an littler than the 205

Last edited:

PA_JERO

Adventurer
4:1 rocktrac is definitely worth the investment. I feel like I can control my SR alot better than with stock gears. Thats probably one of the biggest gains from doing the swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz