Say hello to the White Camel - Defender 90

ze_zaskar

Observer
I'm departing tomorrow for our adventure, so I think this deserves some pics of the finished product:

Even with LR HD springs, the rear is a bit sagged with 3 weeks worth of food, spares and 100L of drinkable water

News?
Roof rack
On-board compressor
12-220v 1000w power inverter
VHF radio
El cheapo DIY side awning
etc

Last edited:

ze_zaskar

Observer
Arrived last Sunday from the most incredible 3 weeks of my life.

The White Camel went like a champ, 0, I mean Zero mechanical problems

ze_zaskar

Observer
Hi all,

Had a good deal of upgrades lately.

First got new wheels and ditched the spacers. Went for 16x8 steels, -25mm offset. To be fair, spacers never gave me problems but I prefer the simplicity of the directly attached wheel.
The 255/85R16s fit better on the 8J rims than on the former 6.5J Wolfs. Much better behaviour on the road.
Had to cut the flares a little bit.

fWeco30.jpg

Next was the suspension.
Got a set of Koni Heavy Tracks for free, as new. Hard to refuse that.
Then decided to throw the following into the mix:
- front 130 springs
- double shock, 50mm lowered tubular turrets to place the shock outside the spring (much prefer that, like the Japs and Jeeps have)
- Limiting straps on all corners
- rear shock dropers
- 25mm bumpstop spacers
- rubber spring isolators top and bottom on all springs
- rear HD Britpart springs

fGgSzLt.jpg

T5aR24g.jpg

jbcXvFP.jpg

The math was simple, and probably the same on every Defender. I had 50mm of wasted upward travel past the bumpstocks on the shocks. E.g., 100mm bumpstop clearance and 150mm shock travel left. Allowing for 25mm of bumpstop compression, that lead us to 50mm lower shock mounts (droppers on the rear and turrets up front) and the said 25mm bumpstop spacers. The spacers are also handy for the already bigger tyres, and better yet for the future 315/75R16 upgrade.

And... voila

Results?
- got a solid 2inch lift
- Lots of wheel travel
- Using standard length shocks = much cheaper and widely available spares
- Suspension still bottoming up on the correct place, the bumpstops
- high load capacity

Also had to fit mudflatps, the underside was getting blaster for driving at 80km/h on dirt and gravel for hours.

Next was the front axle housing. The standard housing is enough for regular use and normal offroad obstacles. But on faster offroad scenarios it takes a beating.
Last month on a timed navigation event I hit a ditch at 90km/h. The impact was so hard the front of the car bounced off the ground. Everything was intact, but it's better to enjoy luck while it lasts.
Welding time:

EbQKoSm.jpg

quDwThb.jpg

TBC.....

Last edited:

ze_zaskar

Observer
Thanks, I like it too

It's actually a kit from Terrafirma, TF775 or 774, can't recall, really obscure part.

I only fitted the bottom part, it should be more than enough and keeps better mechanical accessibility

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles