Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping car from USA to NZ and Australia

If you're under 30 then working holiday visas are the go, if not, no good as an option.

As the vehicle is a temporary import, modifications are fine.

With regards to cleaning, yes NO mud, soil or bio matter anywhere, unless you want to pay cleaning fees.

Can I use a porti potty that uses a special kind of powder to breakdown waste or does it have to be an actual flush toilet?

Just talked to NZMCA (they who make the self containment rules) and no, Wagbag type toilets are't acceptable. Would need to be a porti potti sort of a deal. The local vehicle cert guy says if you are on a visitors visa/Carnet deal modifications 'should' be ok. Four inch lift is stretching it, but he couldn't even tell me who to ring for confirmation. NZTA is the .gov department responsible. Should be fine.

Hi Mate - Cool rig! A few learnings from when we took our motorbikes to Oz in 2009, AFAIK this is still current:

Despite what some info on the web says the only way you can temporarily import a vehicle into Oz is on a Carnet. Then if you land it in Sydney you just need the quarantine inspection & as long as you are road legal in your home country you are good to go. No roadworthy/technical inspections required, your mods will be fine. No insurance required. As mentioned above - get the car stupidly clean. Other states in Oz have different rules though - it's a bit of a mess, if going again I'd just make sure I was legal in the state I landed in (as above - easiest in NSW) then not worry about the rest.

NZ you can get into with a customs deposit rather than a Carnet but since you'll have a Carnet for Oz just use that. Good idea to check out the situation with your mods as you do need a 'warrant of fitness' technical inspection to get legal here. Not sure on the details with a temp imported vehicle but for a local vehicle with your suspension mods you would need a $700 LVVTA modification inspection & certification in addition to the WOF. Same as Oz, get the car stupidly clean for quarantine inspection. No dirt anywhere, I'd get it up on a ramp or lift & clean underneath thoroughly. The problem is that if they deem it to be dirty, you can't just go into the port & clean it more yourself, you have to pay the approved contractors to do it for you -$$$ & a lot of dicking around.

Personally in that car I would not bother with installing a ****ter just to meet NZ's 'self contained' regs unless you wanted to do it anyway. Search out some of the 4x4 routes & you will be able to camp well away from the crowds. Just take a spade & bury your ****. While there are a few nice free campsites where you need a self contained cert, most of them are nothing special & they are often jam packed with cheapskate backpackers trying to save a $. When you're close to towns it's better to stump up the $15-20 & get a site in a paid campground with facilities IMHO. The van rental companies actually put cartridge toilets in some quite small wagons to meet the regs, but they are a PITA to use so some tourists will have the toilet but still **** in the bushes.

Shoot me a PM when you get near Rotorua, would love to meet up for a beer/BBQ & check out your setup. Sounds like you have buddy here anyway but if you do need a spot to camp you are welcome at my place. If you need any advice on NZ routes just ask, I've done a fair bit of offroad & backroads travel on both Islands.

Cheers
    Clint
    Toyota UZJ71
    KTM 640

Hi, I go by the name of kiwifoz on offroadsubarus.com, and I've also seen your build on FB, YT etc. Sweet Foz! If you ever make it to the South Island, feel free to hit me up! PM me here or on offroadsubarus.com, or join the Subaru Forester Owners New Zealand Group on Facebook. I'd be keen to see your truck in the flesh for sure, and so would a few others. I'm based in Christchurch in the South Island so you'll almost certainly come past.

As far as importing a LHD car goes, you already seem to have all the paperwork sorted. It's relatively easy to do in NZ by all accounts, I personally know a few people who own LHD American classic cars here. It's even easier for you, as you just need a temporary permit - you're not intending to register the vehicle here.

If you did intend to register the vehicle, you'd run into two problems. Primarily, our laws ONLY permit the importation of a LHD model if the vehicle was not manufactured in RHD, or was not sold in NZ in RHD. As the Forester is actually one of the best-selling and most common vehicles in the country, you'e be out of luck on that count.
    Secondly, unfortunately your front bumper is not legal as far as registration in NZ is concerned. You can only fit a bullbar to a class MC (light 4wd, GVM < 2500 kg) vehicle in NZ if it meets Australian Design Rules (ADR) for airbag detonation. As your bar is a one-off, it hasn't been certified to these standards and so wouldn't be compliant. Everything else on your car is okay, except that the lift, rear bumper and larger tyres would need an engineer's certification (~$400NZ) to be passed for a warrant of fitness.

But as far as a temporary permit goes, AFAIK you're okay without having to meet those above criteria.

Anyway, join our group on FB, or send me a PM or something, and I'd be happy to help (and come 4wding when you're here).
    2009 AUDM Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 2.4 5-speed 45 mm Ironman lift Snorkel 225/70r17 Bridgestone Dueler 697 AT

When they say clean they mean like Swiss clean. NZ Biosecurity has no sense of humour and will order a multi-thousand dollar clean of your car or return to USA at your cost or will incinerate if if they have any concerns. So yes 100% scrub-out and a sensible conversation with Biosecurity (MPI) at the NZ Embassy or phone the Wellington MPI office could save you literally thousands. Cars do enter NZ but usually through authorised dealers so an individual bringing a car in, especially an off-road vehicle will jump straight to the "Maximum Risk" category on the computer system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12