Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Taco TRDOR Overland Build

Default 2017 Taco TRDOR Overland Build

Life has led me to my first opportunity to purchase a brand new vehicle. Being that I have been so happy with my 2nd gen Tacoma, I decided to purchase a TRD Offroad Doublecab. Another factor that helped is the significant quantity of parts from my 2005 that work on the 2017. I ordered the truck Sept 24th and I FINALLY get to pick it up tomorrow the 29th ( I know some waited longer).

I had my dealer swap the ARB suspension and my TRD Pro wheels and tires over, so they've had the 05 for three days. I haven't even seen the truck in person yet! But, I did however get a teaser photo yesterday.

The plans for this one will include everything the 05 had but better. I learned a lot about what works for us and what could use some improvements for touring.

Current Photo

Mods:
    Engine
    3.5 Litre All Stock For Now

Suspension/Wheels/Tires
    OME Nitro Charger Shocks
    OME Dakar Heavy Load Leaf Springs
    OME 886 Springs
    TRD Pro Wheels Grey
    BFG K02 275/70/17

Bar Work
    ARB Tacoma Summit Bar

Electrical
    RED ARC Smart Solenoid
    Blue Sea Systems 12cct Fuse Holder, 3-100A Breakers, 1-80A Breaker
    3- Group 35 Optima Yellow Top Batteries
    OTRATTW switches
    Fireworks 240W light bar
    260W 9" LED Spotties
    OFF-Grid Engineering Dual Battery Tray

ACCESSORIES
    Tepui Autana Sky Tent with Annex
    Front Runner Bed Bars
    PrInSu Design Studio Cab Rac
    IronMan 4x4 50L Fridge Freezer
    ARB 2M Awning
    Dunn and Watson 50L Aluminum Fridge Slide
    Dunn and Watson 40" Long 125 kg Drawer Slides
    Custom home built topper
    Custom home built bed unit (includes, 2 drawers, fridge area, 3rd battery compartment and all in bed electrical distribution, 60L water tank and 1GPM pump, houses Smittybilt air compressor)

Picture from High River Toyota after lift had been installed

My 2005

New and Old together
    Last edited by jgpoirier; 07-06-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Looking forward to this.

Already looks great!

Spent all day Saturday installing the roof rack. Was much happier with my install on the new truck than I was on the 05. I didn't bother using the weather stripping in the rain gutter on the 05, didn't bother me much as the truck was black and most everyone didn't notice they were missing. But I decided because of the white body I would spend the extra hours and make it right the first time.
    Last edited by jgpoirier; 07-06-2017 at 01:33 AM.

Beautiful truck !!!

sweet any closer shots of the bed bars RTT setup?

Do you have the winter cover on your Tepui? Or is that the standard fly on the Autana Sky ... it looks different than my Kukenam. With those bed bars and short bed, can you open the front pop-out on the Tepui and clear the cab with the rods? And, is there enough gap between the bed and the tent to be able to zip the travel cover back on? I currently have my tent above the cab, on a shell, and that last corner of the zipper is always the toughest. I've considered getting rid of my shell and going to a setup like yours, but wondered if it would affect the tent use to much as well as make it difficult to access the bed. I'd like to shed some weight and lower my CG.
    -dman93
    Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Suzuki DR and DL650

Quote Originally Posted by Simo_4x4 View Post
    Beautiful truck !!!
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
    sweet any closer shots of the bed bars RTT setup?
    I'll get some more for you tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by dman93 View Post
    Do you have the winter cover on your Tepui? Or is that the standard fly on the Autana Sky ... it looks different than my Kukenam. With those bed bars and short bed, can you open the front pop-out on the Tepui and clear the cab with the rods? And, is there enough gap between the bed and the tent to be able to zip the travel cover back on? I currently have my tent above the cab, on a shell, and that last corner of the zipper is always the toughest. I've considered getting rid of my shell and going to a setup like yours, but wondered if it would affect the tent use to much as well as make it difficult to access the bed. I'd like to shed some weight and lower my CG.
    That is that standard, looking to purchase the winter cover though. No its not able to properly clear the rack, I usually don't install the tension rods on the cab side. It's not too bad, a quality packing job when closing the tent helps. I use a metal tent stake to grab the rope on the zipper to aid with the reach disadvantage. The one thing I don't like about the bed bars is the height. It is great for aerodynamics to be below the roof line, but my girlfriend has smacked her head twice off the bottom of the tent when in the annex.

Quote Originally Posted by jgpoirier View Post
    I use a metal tent stake to grab the rope on the zipper to aid with the reach disadvantage. The one thing I don't like about the bed bars is the height. It is great for aerodynamics to be below the roof line, but my girlfriend has smacked her head twice off the bottom of the tent when in the annex.
    The tent stake is a great idea, although I usually need to be on the same side as the zipper pull to tuck material in. I hadn't thought about the lower height of the overhang, I not only take it for granted I can walk under, but also hang stuff from the tent overhang and we sit under there for shade (have used the Tepui about 20'times but it's never rained!).
    -dman93
    Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Suzuki DR and DL650

Quote Originally Posted by dman93 View Post
    The tent stake is a great idea, although I usually need to be on the same side as the zipper pull to tuck material in. I hadn't thought about the lower height of the overhang, I not only take it for granted I can walk under, but also hang stuff from the tent overhang and we sit under there for shade (have used the Tepui about 20'times but it's never rained!).
    I find folding the weather flap up all the way around the cover helps a lot, especially around the corners when zipping it up. That would be handy, I'm always aware that its lower but being able to walk under it without worrying would be handy. We use ours with the annex on all the time. The RTT with the annex has allowed my GF to be more comfortable, which means I can go deeper into the bush. Our dog, clothes and muddy shoes stay below, plus she likes that bugs and animals cant really get at her haha.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast