2017 Taco TRDOR Overland Build

jgpoirier

Adventurer
To more so update, I have a bunch of stuff to do before BC Overland Rally at the end of June.

Tons of wiring, pretty much everything. Unfortunately pretty much all of the OTRATTW switches that I had salvaged from the 05 will not work in the 17. The blanks are different sizes and there just isn't any good spaces to start cutting new holes into. Especially around the center console. With the change where Toyota has now used a hand brake instead of the pedal cluster for the emerg brake, space is limited.

Also in bigger news, I currently have finalized my design for a steel framed aluminum sheeted canopy that I will be starting to build next weekend. This for me will be beyond beneficial. In the 05 I had the 50L fridge mounted in the 40 split behind the drivers seat. We found this robbed valuable space in the cab. Also the front runner load bars meant that the bottom of the tent is about 5'6", not ideal for walking under nor for the tautness of the annex during wet weather. I've been working on the design on CAD LT almost all winter. Could never make my mind up, but I have decided that what I have now will work.

CAD drawing
Wh8Ot1I.jpg

Overall more to come fairly quickly. With nicer weather, work happening in my un-insulated garage should be more pleasurable. Plus the parts bench has been filling up lately.

Cheers.

Last edited:

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Here's a wiring diagram of how I will be wiring everything in the new truck. There will be more added eventually, but for now this is what I need currently.

ZBxPbN0.jpg

Last edited:

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Took a couple evenings after work to make all the cuts for the canopy frame and a full day today to weld everything up. All in all, I'm very happy with the results.

Off to sandblasting and powder coating this week hopefully.

Here's what I based my design off of
g32fhxs.jpg

r6vNKSK.jpg

Initial piecing together

gdV6mpu.jpg

3GLDEjj.jpg

Coming together

CqqNeEu.jpg

Welding completed

xdv7dAZ.jpg

K8RVLpK.jpg

QOCfrOY.jpg

3e3R780.jpg

Last edited:

jgpoirier

Adventurer
How much do you think it will weigh?

I'm hoping to stay under 175lbs. Obviously being that it's a steel frame it'll be decently heavy versus aluminum. But for me, strength, cost, and security over a fiberglass topper was what led me to this path. Plus I was able to build exactly what I wanted.

tyv12

Adventurer
Interested in the wiring diagram but seems to come through blurry when I try and see the wiring connections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Interested in the wiring diagram but seems to come through blurry when I try and see the wiring connections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll see if I can fix the photo. Problem I'm having, is it starts as a .dwg file, converted to pdf, then converted to a photo. Seems to lose quality in each conversion, I'll see if I can convert it clearer.

EDIT: I found a converter straight to jpeg. It's better but still not great. PM me your email and I can send you the pdf, if you'd like.

Last edited:

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Big update. I finally finished building the topper for the most part. All I have left to do is order and install gas struts for the doors. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the results.

fOgBzfZ.jpg

IBkMsjE.jpg

JEVjge8.jpg

BXTJZDy.jpg

ZJAsv4a.jpg

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Awesome. It looks as if the white TRD SB is a well liked truck...Same one I'm getting. It's a popular truck. Looks great with the add ons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94