04 Rubicon improvements for mild off road exploring.

KMG

Adventurer
Hello, I just purchased an one owner stock 04 Rubicon Automatic with 32K. I replaced the original Goodyears with 245/75/16 BF Goodrich KO2s and replaced the brake pads, rotors, and flexible brake hoses. I also flushed the radiator and changed all fluids. I need to replace the fuel pump so I ordered a 24.6 fuel tank with skid plate. I also ordered front and rear bumpers from Dirtworx.

IMG_1161 2.JPG

MNCarl

The Moose
Kevin,
The Jeep looks great.
I cant wait to see pics with the new BFG KO2's and the new bumpers.
And I cant wait to see it in person at the next Midwest Overland Society's Northwoods Rendezvous 2017.
Great job !!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
WOW! :eek:
What a great find! 32K miles in 12 years... That's awesome. :beer:
Perfect opportunity to celebrate with a good round of Dog Frisbee. :)

What are your thoughts for fixing it up to explore? Are you thinking short weekend trips or long excursions?

KMG

Adventurer
According to my dog everything is better after a round of fetching the Frisbee! I don't have sway bar disconnects. The Dirtworx front bumper has the winch plate included. I'll definitely buy a winch, I just need to do a little research first. I'll do mostly 5-7 day trips but would be able to travel longer with restocking in route.

The KO2s feel great and are very quite. I'll post pics with the new tires and bumpers. Thanks

Carl, any MOS Spring events?

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I have to ask, who makes the gas tank and what did it cost? Would love to increase my fuel range. I've been considering a LRA Auxillary Tank that adds nearly another 12 gallons but the price due to shipping is a bit absurd.

You might consider an oil pan skid, TJ pans are no doubt very vulnerable.

Last edited:

KMG

Adventurer
The tank is made by GenRight. http://genright.com/tj-lj-extended-range-gas-tank-skid-plate/
They had a demo unit for $800 plus $90 shipping. I need to replace my fuel pump and will have to lower the tank to install the pump and the new rear bumper. I also wanted a fuel tank skid plate and the $800 includes a 3/8" thick one.

Thanks for the oil pan skid plate advice. Any brand you recommend? Thanks

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The tank is made by GenRight. http://genright.com/tj-lj-extended-range-gas-tank-skid-plate/
They had a demo unit for $800 plus $90 shipping. I need to replace my fuel pump and will have to lower the tank to install the pump and the new rear bumper. I also wanted a fuel tank skid plate and the $800 includes a 3/8" thick one.

Thanks for the oil pan skid plate advice. Any brand you recommend? Thanks

Wow that's actually a really good bargain, like 30% off.

Metalcloak makes one and knowing their reputation, it's likely a very good product.

KMG

Adventurer
The bumpers I ordered are bare steel. I'm considering powder coating, bed liner material, or aerosol spray paint for easy touch up. Any thoughts or other products? Thanks

Abe Froman

Adventurer
The bumpers I ordered are bare steel. I'm considering powder coating, bed liner material, or aerosol spray paint for easy touch up. Any thoughts or other products? Thanks

Get a quote on powder coating. If fit is really expensive, then consider DIY Spray Bedliner. The DIY stuff doesn't have as much texture as line-x, and IMHO looks better on a bumper.
If you don't think you are planning on tons of damage, powder coating usually looks good and lasts.

MNCarl

The Moose
According to my dog everything is better after a round of fetching the Frisbee! I don't have sway bar disconnects. The Dirtworx front bumper has the winch plate included. I'll definitely buy a winch, I just need to do a little research first. I'll do mostly 5-7 day trips but would be able to travel longer with restocking in route.

The KO2s feel great and are very quite. I'll post pics with the new tires and bumpers. Thanks

Carl, any MOS Spring events?

Kevin,
Wow that Gas Tank with the Skid plate looks super heavy duty(The Skid Plate)
As you know I just got some BFG KO2's as well and they are great , I really like them on the road...cant wait to get them off road.

MOS spring events? Not sure I am kinda new as well.
I am pretty sure all MOS has for a big structured event is the Northwoods Rendezvous.
Other than that event its up to you or me or some other Midwest Overland Society members to plan an event.
I know if you look on the forum under "Trips" "Completed" there are some groups of 3-5 vehicles that head out west sometimes.
Maybe someone on the forum will rally the troops in the spring or summer.
-Carl

KMG

Adventurer
The gas tank arrived today and is scheduled to be installed tomorrow. The tank and skid plate are very well made. So far so good with GenRight's product and service. I wonder if the new tank will stop the burping/splashing while refueling issue like my stock tank has? So far, my BFG's are great on road but like you Carl I haven't been off road yet. I'm going to an off road park Saturday. This will be my first time to an off road park and I haven't driven a Jeep off road since 1982 in a CJ-5 I owned. Should be a blast!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I wonder if the new tank will stop the burping/splashing while refueling issue like my stock tank has?

Might have been due to the fuel hose being too long? That was an issue with 05-06 models and could be solved by either trimming the stock or hose or ordering a GM hose. However, I am unaware if 04 models had the same issue. Does the GenRight tank come with a new fill hose?

KMG

Adventurer
Steinkunde, Thanks for mentioning the fueling issues are 05-06 related and not my 04. I'm not sure if my positioning the fuel nozzle to "not splash" didn't cause the splashing. I don't know if the tank came with a new fill hose. I didn't open the box and the Jeep is in the shop having the tank installed today. My bumpers are scheduled to ship Monday so hopefully I can have them coated and installed soon. Is that your orange Jeep in the Instagram posts? Nice! What roof rack is on it and how has it performed? Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94