04 Rubicon improvements for mild off road exploring.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Gas tank looks awesome. Congrats on getting the jeep out and using it.

Tummy tuck is an excellent modification. The shovel of a transfer case skid is the number one place TJ's get caught. TT's usually require a body lift. Rokmen has a 1/2" BL that is barely noticable. They also then have an engine skid that attaches and makes for a nice smooth underbelly...

Ha... see what I did there? I am spending all your money..

KMG

Adventurer
Precursor to your Australian Expedition??? ;)

Definitely like the way you are going with this rig. :beer:

Thanks for all the advice guys. Good times!

15 years ago I spent 3 months in New Zealand and Eastern Australia. Beautiful people and area of the world. Except for the McDonald's McOz! Think of a quarter pounder with a big slice of red beet & juice.

Last edited:

KMG

Adventurer
I installed the powder coated Dirtworx bumpers today. Robert at Dirtworx provides a nice product with responsive customer service.

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

Last edited:

KMG

Adventurer
Build update:
Magnaflow muffler and tailpipe. The muffler is 2" shorter than stock to give clearance around the fuel tank skid plate. The stock exhaust was rubbing the corner.
KC Hilites H4 headlights. Twice as bright as stock with 30% longer range.
Currie front Antirock sway bar. Great improvement.
IMG_1717.jpg
IMG_1718.jpg

steelhd

Observer
I wonder if the new tank will stop the burping/splashing while refueling issue like my stock tank has?
I have an '04 LJ with the same Genright tank and skid and don't have any burping issues.

Edit - I also have the Curry Antirock and agree that it's an excellent addition. And jscusmcvet is spot on recommending the tummy tuck.

Last edited:

KMG

Adventurer
A tummy tuck would be great but I'm concerned it will change my driveline geometry and cause vibration issues. Right now it runs perfectly! Zero vibrations and tracks straight without holding the wheel. I had a 2012 Tacoma and I installed OME springs and shocks which caused a shimmy in the wheel and a driveline vibration. I couldn't get the problem fixed. Was filling it up one morning and a kid walked up and ask it it was for sale. I sold it that day.

KMG

Adventurer
I installed a Flex-A-Lite 4116TJ auxiliary automatic transmission cooler, an in-dash Cobra 18WXST2 CB with a Firestick antenna & spring using a Teraflex mount.

Attachments

• IMG_1779.JPG
    IMG_1779.JPG
    619.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG