1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 Budget Overland Build

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:cool looking installs you got going Davkenrem. Looks like you got a lot of work done in a short time. Good effort. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nicely done. That winch installation is very clean. I assume there's no issues hanging the winch upside down? I don't know why there would be unless there was an oil tank or something to keep the gears lubricated.
Anybody else old enough to remember the Hickey "Sidewinder" winch? It had a drum that was mounted on a vertical axis instead of a horizontal axis, specifically so it could be tucked between frame rails like that.

davkenrem

Observer
Nicely done. That winch installation is very clean. I assume there's no issues hanging the winch upside down? I don't know why there would be unless there was an oil tank or something to keep the gears lubricated.
Anybody else old enough to remember the Hickey "Sidewinder" winch? It had a drum that was mounted on a vertical axis instead of a horizontal axis, specifically so it could be tucked between frame rails like that.

Thanks, Winch works fine upside down. The winch does not know the difference.

xandr87

Looks great! I love the hidden winch look on the GMT400 body style. Were you able to get the fair lead tightened up without spacers? Also, what jotto police desk model is that? Great build!

davkenrem

Observer
Looks great! I love the hidden winch look on the GMT400 body style. Were you able to get the fair lead tightened up without spacers? Also, what jotto police desk model is that? Great build!

Thanks, Because of the peak of the bumper in the center, the metal behind the fairlead was not flat. When I tightened the bumper without the fairlead w/o the spacers the rollers would bind because the fairlead housing was being bent to conform to the bumper, hence the spacers.

This is the console: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-Vic-P...ash=item3d352003ce:g:HZcAAOSw5cNYmIOP&vxp=mtr

davkenrem

Observer
Hey, were back with more upgrades!!!! Been busy since my last update. Done a few things.

First, while I really liked my hidden bumper install, I've always wanted a winch bumper, so when Tax Return came in I bought a ARB Deluxe Winch Bumper.

0219181746.jpg

0219181414a.jpg

Then I did a little interior cosmetic upgrade with some white face gauge overlays.

0310181549.jpg

And some really comfy seats out of a Pontiac Bonneville. These being a GM seat from the same year as my truck, bolted right on to my seat risers.

0325181905a.jpg

About 2 yrs ago i bought a used 9.5" Semi-Float Axle from a 1996 K1500 Z71.

0207161553.jpg

It ook a bit of work but I got it stripped down cleaned up and painted.

1229171927a.jpg

Found an ARB Air Locker on eBay for it.

0328181618.jpg

I wanted Disc Brakes and I knew I would need a spacer so I got one for 14bolt Full Floater.

0302171351.jpg

For brakes I used the 13" Dual Piston setup from a 2002 Suburban. Here is a mockup of the the brake parts.

0112182033.jpg

Here is the assembled axle with the rotors and Heavy Duty Diff cover.

0425182151b.jpg

davkenrem

Observer
So when I went to bolt on the wheels after mocking up the brakes on the rear axle, the factory 16x9in wheels would not fit. I was was afraid I was going to need to buy new wheels and tires to fit over my new brakes. I did some research and found some factory wheels do fit over the 13" brake package, so I purchased one 16x9in Mickey Thompson Classic III wheel to see if it fit.

0711181459.jpg

They fit but just barely, with a 1/4" clearance.

0711181459a.jpg

0711181459b.jpg

0711181500.jpg

So I ordered 4 more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94