Any experience with a SeaSucker bike rack?

Sisyphus

Adventurer
I recently purchased an '02 Acura RSX as a little commuter car and would like find a bike rack to use for the occasional trip that doesn't necessitate my 4x4.

Here's what I've concluded:

- Roof mounted racks are generally not ideal for 2 door vehicles and these setups overwhelmingly result in the rack coming off at freeway speeds as compared to 4 door vehicles. Which is something I couldn't bare to see happen as my bikes are worth more than the car...... and also risks hurting others.

- The car does not currently have a hitch so there would be a greater upfront cost for a hitch rack.

- No trunk mounted rack is available for the RSX

- SeaSucker makes a suction-cup style rack that is compatible with all cars and bikes and total cost would be less than the other three options.

So my question is, do any of you have experience with these SeaSucker racks? They seem to fair well with online reviews but would love to hear your opinion.

(FYI, the current roof rack on my 4x4 is not compatible with the RSX)

Thanks!

jayspies

Adventurer
Frankly, I'd be more concerned about the sea sucker coming off then a properly attached roof rack. I used to have a '95 Honda Prelude with a Thule rack that had what was called a "stretch kit". They had three sets of feet; the forward two sets attached to the front window rail, and the third, rearward set sat on the bare roofline and was cinched down by the tension in the other two. Was stable as a rock, and I never took it off.

Here's one from etrailer:

http://www.etrailer.com/roof-2002_Acura_RSX.htm

Jay

p nut

butter
I'll second Jayspies. I've had roof racks on Honda's and never had issues with them coming off. Just get it properly installed and you're good.
_
But back when I had an Integra, I just stuffed it inside with the rear seats down. That hatch configuration was nice for big, bulky items like a bicycle. Is that not an option?
_
EDIT: Saw the price on those Seasuckers. $300+? No thanks. If the roof option doesn't sit well with you, then simply install a rear hitch receiver ($98):

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Acura/RSX/2002/24719.html?vehicleid=20023802

Really easy to install. Then get a hitch rack on craigslist for cheap.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Yakima has a fit for your car. In 25+ years using roof racks and having sold probably three hundred, I've never heard of a properly installed rack coming off. BTW, I've had several racks on two-door vehicles and they're fine.

However, I have used SeaSucker racks a couple of times and they're not coming off either provided you put them on correctly, which is pretty easy.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Yakima has a fit for your car. In 25+ years using roof racks and having sold probably three hundred, I've never heard of a properly installed rack coming off. BTW, I've had several racks on two-door vehicles and they're fine.

However, I have used SeaSucker racks a couple of times and they're not coming off either provided you put them on correctly, which is pretty easy.

That puts me at ease a bit. A good friend of mine had a Yakima rack on his car with two steel bikes on the roof and the entire rack came off on the interstate on a windy day. It would seem that since the rack had performed so well for him at highway and non-windy speeds for so long that perhaps the limited strength provided to the rack with the bars being mounted closer together may have contributed to the incident, but I may just have been a fluke.

Christophe, did you find the rear wheel strap sufficient for the SeaSucker? Do you think it would be effective with a 3.8in tire?

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online