Floor Pack Design - Questions

pthomas

Howdy EP!

I recently got an old tall contractor canopy. It is a bit too big for my truck (width and length), but was cheap and in good shape. I daily drive my truck (2004 2.7L Tacoma) and want to create a slide-in floor pack that the contractor canopy can be put on and would allow for easy removal.

The Canopy is light and i'd like to create a sturdy, but light floor pack out 1/2 plywood and runners to create space for insulation. I plan to I-Bolt through the floor pack into canopy to sandwhich it together and give me something to attach to the truckbeds hardpoints in each of the 4 corners. I'll be removing the tailgate because the canopy is 8 foot whereas my truck bed is only 6.5'.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I can't say I have any advice, except for look at the way regular truck campers are assembled and follow there lead. Narrow box on the bottom and build up. One thing I've been considering is to put a flatbed on my Tacoma and put a super lightweight fullsized camper on there. A flatbed would give you a blank slate.

If you do come up with a project, please post pictures.

Cheers,
Jorge

pthomas

Going to start up a thread once I get the build started (hopefully tomorrow).

Cool little canopy. The front cab over is separate from the back and will be perfect for gear storage. Both sides full open, so once it is done I can't wait to be inside making a cup of coffee with both walls open! Going to create a door way for the rear and get rid of the glass.

8MqcxK4.jpg

f1TLpan.jpg

mr_ed

Toolbag
Sweet! I'll be keeping an eye on your build. I'm in the material-gathering stage of building a cabover shell for our pickup, so my wife and I can camp, but still haul the atv or whatever else bulky we need to carry in the day-to-day. Since good deals on something like what you have are virtually non-existent on the island of Kodiak, building is my only real option haha.

I'll be really interested in how your project proceeds , especially the floor, as I'm also working out the best way to achieve an insulated floor...without building a whole-hog RV...

Cheers!

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz