Anyone using these radios - WLN KD-C1 UHF Mini Transceiver

whitenoise

Adventurer
Hi guys - During a random search of amazon for ham radios, I came across this one that appears to be relatively new.

https://www.amazon.com/WLN-Channel-MINI-handheld-Transceiver-Communicator/dp/B01FVRHR34

I like it for a couple of reasons over the Baofeng UV5R:

- Less things to break and go wrong hence more rugged

- Tiny form factor, much smaller than UV5R etc.

- 16 Pre-programmed UHF channels, but can be re-programmed via Baofeng cable if needed

- Charged with standard micro-USB cable

- Low cost

I'm wondering if anyone has used these yet. I'm thinking about getting a couple to throw in the backpack for emergency comms and international trips (I have a US tech license but of course that won't be useful outside the US).

prerunner1982

Adventurer
To me it's size and being USB chargable is about the only thing it has going for it, though a UV5R isn't all that big either.

Only 16 channels, only 2 watts, and only UHF... for the price I would get another UV5R.

But if they fit your need then they are perfect.

homeguy

Observer
I have a Baofeng BFF8+ that I've been using. It's a great little radio. A bunch of my buddies and I all got our license and pretty much use these now instead of cb's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Look like this radio is very limited in it's use. No high capacity battery option, no antenna options. A Baofung is much more versatile with battery options, high gain antenna options, external antennas options , 4 or 8 watts.

whitenoise

Adventurer
All true, but the main advantage i am seeing is for those "fly-to" adventures where some airline travel is involved. If you're going to need vehicle-to-vehicle comms in the smallest and most compact package, i don't see many better options than this. With my UV5R in low wattage mode on UHF frequencies, I was seeing at least 1-1.5 mile range between vehicles before significant drop in performance - I expect this to be similar but I could be wrong. The ability to stay discreet when flying to other countries is also an advantage over the UV5R, which is immediately recognizable as a ham radio and could lead to questions....

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
A licensed amateur operator surely doesn't want to engage in a discussion about how to circumvent the regulations when he travels. Leave that to the CB crowd. Amateur radio works only because amateurs are good stewards of the spectrum and bandwidth.

I personally can't see any utility whatsoever to that thing with the "antenna" that it has.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I personally can't see any utility whatsoever to that thing with the "antenna" that it has.
Maybe but it looks like a small and reasonably rugged little radio that can accept a speaker/mic. I was thinking it would work well for motorcycles. Velcro the radio right on the back the helmet with all the wires for the microphone and speaker secured to it.

laylow

Observer
I have several, and they are great. Small, long battery life, USB chargeable, and programmable via Chirp.

gary in ohio

Explorer
The only legal use for these would be on the ham bands. They are not legal on GMRS or FRS. For the price they are better than nothing but with the micro antenna, very low power there use is limited. YOU would better off with spending a little more money for the boefang radio. At least you get a replaceable antenna and a little more power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles